Newbie Toby?

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by PipeLotus, Aug 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PipeLotus

PipeLotus Member

Hello all! I am looking for a tobacco that is readily available, cheap, and something that you personally enjoy. I am trying to stay away from aromatics, but it seems alot of the toby's stores carry are at least a little aromatic.

I started smoking about a month ago, my first purchase was a pouch of Sir Walter Raleigh. It is mildly aromatic according to the packaging, but I'm not really sure.

Its been about a month, and I've gone through the package, and was stuck in a part of town I didn't know. I scouted out a smoke shop, and stepped in to find the only pipe tobacco they carried was made by Republic LP. I purchased some Largo, ([​IMG]) and it tasted AWFUL. After doing some research, I found out that I was smoking a low-end cigg tobacco that Republic sells under the pipe moniker to avoid taxes.

Im understandably peeved.

Now I'm looking for another 'begginner's' tobacco like Sir Walter. Someone mentioned Prince Albert, and I remember seeing a black pouch with a ship on it at my local shop.

Any other suggestions?

2. Scottly

Scottly Member

Carter Hall is a good baccy to start out on.

Mark w4mms likes this.
  3. user1975

user1975 Active Member

I concur!

4. PipeLotus

PipeLotus Member

Thanks for the suggestion! I just bought some with a new Dr. Grabow Briar. Will give it a try in the next few days. :)

5. DGErwin11

DGErwin11 Moderator Moderator

If you like CH & SWR. you will most likely like PA and Half & Half. I'd suggest you try buying it in the 14 oz tubs. I feel, and many others concur, that for whatever reason tubbed tobacco is better than pouched tobacco.

6. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

SWR has a touch of sweet to it is all ... it's not an aro really ... it's pretty straight . SWR and PA are pretty much alike . If you were wanting something different then maybe try Captain Black or get a pouch of SWR Aromatic .... it's nothing like SWR regular . It's akiller Aro ! If yer lucky , some places have Sail pouches ... I like the green and yellow though I have not tried the natural . I'm guessing the pouch you saw was Borkum Riff or Captain Black [ They both have ships.. sail has a sail boat ] ... Borkum Riff has very few followers here it seems compared to Captain Black . Middletons cherry Blend is a great straight blend w/ a touch of cherry . There's other good otc's but they come in the large tubs .Theres always Velvet and Mixture79 ... good luck w/ those .. imo ... one tastes like play doh and the other some kind of crap from an alien dump .. just my opinion . Honestly , try a bunch over time ..if ya find one ya just cant do .. somebody here may love it and trade ya for it . If you got a real tobacconist around .... that would be the place to go

7. Jay

Jay Active Member

It is best to buy your tobacco from someone who actually smokes tobacco. Too many head shops have "Largo Pipe Tobacco" that is exactly as you described. The Carter Hall is a great tobacco, just keep asking and trying real pipe smoke and you will find your nirvana. Also check out Tobaccoreviews.com, they are a great resource.

8. davidmackv

davidmackv Active Member

Half and half, prince Albert, Carter hall, SWR, Captain Black can usually all be obtained at the local Rite Aid.

9. RTOdhner

RTOdhner Well-Known Member

A good many of us started out smoking "drug store" blends like Carter Hall, Granger, Half and Half, Kentucky Club, Prince Albert, Sir Walter Raleigh, Velvet, or Walnut. These blends have been around longer than most of us have been alive, and the odds are that our fathers and grandfathers started out on them. Many of us continue to smoke these blends because they're good, they're readily available, and they're inexpensive. (Well, Walnut - my favorite out of them all - is not so readily available and is easiest to find on-line). These blends also kick butt when smoked in a cob! Grab a pouch of any of the above, especially the Carter Hall, Prince Albert, Sir Walter, or Walnut (which only comes in tubs) and you won't go wrong.

10. PipeLotus

PipeLotus Member

Thanks for the advice everyone! This Carter Hall is amazing. I will keep a look out for these other brands you fellows mentioned.

11. Scottly

Scottly Member

If I could only smoke one, it would be Carter Hall,:puffy: Glad you like it.

12. Arkie

Arkie Active Member

I agree with the others suggesting Carter Hall.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.