Newer Smoker, Ready To Move On To Better Tobacco

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by JD1969, Apr 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JD1969

JD1969 Member

Hi everyone, I have been smoking a pipe for about a month or so. So far all I have smoked and all I have that is easy to get are the typical drug store brands (Capt. Black, Borkom Riff, etc.). While I enjoy them, I know that there is a huge world out there. I have had a decent amount of cigars and used to smoke the darker, heavy ones. By my reading it looks like I might like a Va or English. What are some winners that I can try without having to risk too much. I know this is probably asked all the time here, so thanks for putting up with my newb questions.

2. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

Low risk winners....

McClelland: Jubilee, Frog Morton, British Woods, Virginia Woods

Mac Baren: Navy Flake, Dark Twist, Mixture, HH Vintage Syrian

Robert McConnell: Scottish Cake or Scottish Flake

GL Pease: Maltese Falcon, Odyssey, Westminster (all fairly full flavored)

William P Solomon: Presbyterian Mixture

I always recommend Mac BAren NAvy Flake and McClelland Frog Morton as two "must tries" for anyone who wonders what pipes can be about.

3. Ivycap

Ivycap Member

You should definitely participate in the Newbie Sampler thread! You'll get to try all kinds of great tobaccos without spending the money you would spend for a bunch of tins. That's how I got on my feet. Here's the link. Check it out!

Newbie Sampler Thread

4. Glenn

Glenn Active Member

In my opinion you'll have a hard time going wrong trying McClelland Virginias and G.L. Pease English blends. Get a tin of McClelland Blackwoods Flake, Escudo Navy De Luxe and a tin of GLP Westminster. See what those do for you. Great examples of a virginia, a virginia-perique (vaper) and an english.

5. lastopus

lastopus Member

I would recommend something along the lines of Frog Morton as previously mentioned. Another great starter IMO is Shortcut through the mushrooms by just for him tobacconist. PS flakes are light and inexpensive and many of the Boswell blends are very nice. Balkan sasieni is a nice intro to balkan thats not real expensive as well.

It took me a bit to get on well with McClelland's Virginias but they are very good. GLP Robusto and Maltese falcon are very good smokes in the higher end. If your looking for a good nic hit and a strong tobac Petersons Irish flake is yummy too. Presbyterian is a must have in the cellar for me.

Man there are just too many good tobaccos out there!

6. JD1969

JD1969 Member

Thank you for the Frog Morton suggestion. I just finished a small bowl and it is really good. I am not certain how to describe the flavor other than I really like it :blink:

7. woodbutcher

woodbutcher Member

Frog Morton is good, isn't it? I just wish I could get the wife to agree.
    If you like it...try some Blend 5110 from McClellans. I can't tell the difference and it's sold at "bulk" prices.
    Happy smoking.
    Dan

8. Gazpacho

Gazpacho New Member

Peter Stokkebye PS-701 Virginia Long Cut -- Lots of B&Ms carry this in bulk, and it is a good, mild Virginia. Basic, with no frills.

Peterson Old Dublin -- Fairly common for B&M is this english sold by the tin. I'd say it's a solid notch below Squadron Leader. A good, dependable smoke.

Samuel Gawith Squadron leader -- Carried by many B&Ms but chronicly out of stock, because people buy it up fast. This is the quintessential English that others are compared to. Rarely bested.

9. Marine Dad

Marine Dad Member

JD1969 received this sampler today that I sent him last week. Maybe he can find a few that he likes ! :D

Club Blend
    Full Virginia Flake
    Blackwoods Flake
    Opening Night
    CountrySide
    Tudor Castle Arcade
    Sunday Picnic
    Long Golden Flake
    St. James Woods
    Scottish Mixture
    Premium Burley
    Prince Albert Choice

10. Marc

Marc Active Member

Yepper! It's time to move up to Big Boy tobaccos like McClelland #5100, #2010, Christmas Cheer (any year), McCranies Red Ribbon or Red Flake or any of the McClelland Premium aromatics.

11. JD1969

JD1969 Member

I cannot thank you enough Greg. I have no idea where to start on this, but I do have a whole day off to myself on Wednesday and nothing really to do......until now. I am looking forward to the Boswell Premium Burley, the smell in the bag is really good.
    Thanks again
    JD

12. Rugbysh9

Rugbysh9 Active Member

:D Nice bomb MD...
    [​IMG]

JD we're all going to be eagerly awaiting your tasting comments :bing:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.