Newminster SNF

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Skiballa, Oct 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Skiballa

Skiballa Member

So I went to the local tobacconist to replenish my truck stash of CH and Granger, and was supplied with a 1/2 oz. sample of the SNF. Like most other folks here that have tried it, It didn't really make much of an impression one way or the other. It's really just a simple VA flake. I packed it into a meer billiard using the fold and stuff method, just ...meh.
    So, the remainder, a few flakes, have been sitting in the console of my truck for a bit awaiting their final disposition. In the meantime, I did quite a bit of driving over the weekend, still breaking in that olive wood bowled Kirsten with some CH. I finished off the pouch and went to dig out the recently purchased one, and found the SNF. Thought, why not, folded a flake up, and stuck it in the bowl.
    Oh man, It was good, I have to say, I'll be buying more SNF. The olive lends a bit of flavor to whatever blend you smoke in it. With many blends you might lose some of the subtlety, so I've been doing uncomplicated stuff in the olive, thus the CH. The SNF is simple enough that the olive wood lends a nice contrast to the VA sweetness, and just....Wow! In any case, my point is that the SNF just needs a little help, and now I'm curious to see how it does in a cherry wood or hickory pipe. And, I'll definitely need to cellar some to see how it ages.

2. Bent

Bent Member

I haven't had a chance to try the Newminster blends, but aren't they essentially PS blends with another name?

3. Skiballa

Skiballa Member

Not quite, they are blended for Villiger by Macbaren to fill the void created when they lost PS.

4. Bent

Bent Member

Do they have Mac-Barenish taste? I know it sounds silly, but it is a serious question. MacBaren blends generally have a underlaying "signature" flavor that's hard to describe.

5. Mount Mandolin

Mount Mandolin Active Member

Try adding a bit of some good burley (like Uhle's #00) to it, and see how that does. Sweet, uncomplicated VA tobacco is often greatly enhanced by the addition of burley, in my opinion. The burley can add a bit of oomph that straight, sweet VA sometimes lacks.

6. Skiballa

Skiballa Member

It tastes very similar to the Macbaren Mixture Flake, I haven't had their navy flake for comparison.
    Like I said, the olive wood adds a bit, but I'll keep it in mind.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.