Nicotine?

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by orto, Jul 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. orto

orto Member

Hey folks. I was reading another thread and it referenced nicotine, and it got me thinking. What are some blends with more nicotine? Blends with less? And really, how do you know before you buy it?

Some of the ones I've heard with more nicotine are PA/CH and Cornell & Diehl Billy Budd. As far as less, my understanding was "aromatics in general."

As someone who's been gradually cutting cigarettes out of my world, I gravitate towards pipe tobaccos with more nicotine. At the same time, I'd like to keep blends with little nicotine on hand too. I want to make sure I'm smoking for the enjoyment, and never just for the fix of vitamin N.

Any tips?

2. AmeriMick

AmeriMick Member

My go to nick kicks are perfect plug and irish flake by peterson. Also a nice english called bow legged bear seems to satisfy.

orto likes this.
  3. afiaowo

afiaowo Member

My local B&M has a limited number of tins. I've had several Dunhills and three Petersons.

Dunhill Royal Yacht and Peterson Irish Flake are, in my opinion, on the stronger side.

The rest of what I smoked never provided a physical reaction, so I myself would consider them milder. I'm hesitant to mention the blends because I read on on tobaccoreview.com that many find some strong when I didn't.

4. raf66

raf66 Member

Higher nic content: Rattray's Hal o' the Wynd, Pete's Irish Flake, Esoterica Stonehaven and Dunhill Nightcap (for the latakia lover). Lower nic: Dunhill Early Morning Pipe (again, for the lat fan), McClelland's Frog Morton (original blend), Orlick Golden Sliced.

I'm sure I'm missing a bunch of each, but truth be told I've never really been able to tell the difference. Pipe tobacco has never really supplied me with any kind of nic "buzz". But many people CAN tell a difference, and yes, I begrudge them of that. : )

5. orto

orto Member

Thanks lads. When I started out a few years ago, trying to ween myself off the cigarettes, I Googled this and all the answers I found pointed towards Carter Hall and Prince Albert. Having finally tried them both two days ago (and smoking one of them now), I wish I'd bought it sooner.

Not sure I'd notice much a difference in 'em nowadays, but when I started I sure could. I'd sit down and thoroughly enjoy a 45 minute puff-session on ____ blend, and my first thought afterwards was "Alrighty, time for a cigarette." Seemed excessive and unnecessary at the time; now it just seems stupid.

6. NickWilliams

NickWilliams Member

SWRA is the only tobacco that ever made me sick in 16 years of smoking pipes because the Nic content was so high. Try some Sir Walter if you have the urge for a cigarette.

orto and Spillproof like this.
  7. Snake

Snake permanent ankle biter

5 Brothers had quite a high N content.
    Sure to give one a 'buzz'.

cakeanddottle likes this.
  8. WrightwoodJohn

WrightwoodJohn Wrightwood expatriate

I was going to suggest tobaccoreviews, you might already know about it. Usually the tabac they rate "strong" will be your high nic stuff.

orto likes this.
  9. cakeanddottle

cakeanddottle Member

GH Dark Flake, any of the ropes, SG 1792, Bracken Flake, Cob Plug

10. FlatbushPaul

FlatbushPaul Cellar is located in an undisclosed bunker

You can add GH Kendal Kentucky to the mix too.

11. Snake

Absolutely ropes! :beyes:
    Never smoked a rope that didn't
    kick me in the :booty:

Spillproof likes this.
  12. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

Never smoked the Kendal Kentucky, but I do love Kendal Dark and smoke it frequently, and it deserves honorable (nefarious?) mention. Also Dark Bidseye. All from Gawith, Hoggarth & Co.

Many of the flakes and all of the plugs and ropes from either GH or SG will have more nicotine than most pipe tobaccos.

You might try GL Pease Jack Knife Plug or Jack Knife Ready Rubbed for a strong smoke. I'm sure Peterson Irish Flake and 3Ps have been mentioned, but you might also try University Flake which many people find a bit on the strong side. While not super strong, Erinmore Flake has a satisfying nicotine content. Cornell & Diehl blends are often on the stronger side, especially their burleys. Haunted Bookshop is quite popular, but I prefer Old Joe Krantz. They also make Night Train which has more Virginia than burley, while the other two I mentioned are mostly burley. It is fairly strong.

Dunhill Nightcap is no lightweight, but I don't find it super strong. Esoterica Tobacciana's Stonehaven is strong, but approachably so. It creeps up on you. If you can get hold of it, Condor Long Cut has a nice backbone to it.

As for mild tobaccos, there is no shortage. The bulk of pipe tobacco produced will fall into the mild-medium range. Almost all OTC burleys are very mild. Virtually all aromatics as well. Most straight Virginias are. Latakia is mild in nicotine but very full in flavor, so English blends are usually a good choice for a strong tasting smoke which won't send you reeling.

Spillproof likes this.
  13. FlatbushPaul

FlatbushPaul Cellar is located in an undisclosed bunker

Great points! C&D. Burley Flak #3 has some ooomph to it too.

14. Bradabelko4

Bradabelko4 Member

Ok I'm gonna take this a step higher.

It seems that many find Irish Flake to be unbearably, untolorably strong. What, if there is, anything stronger than IF?

15. WrightwoodJohn

WrightwoodJohn Wrightwood expatriate

I've never had it, but Tamboluca (or whatever) is supposed to be the strongest.

16. phinz

phinz Active Member

Tambolaka and Irish XX. I have 100g of the Tambo and haven't worked up the nerve yet. I'll probably use it as a condiment anyway. So far Irish Flake is the only one that's put me on my butt (well, that and a couple of shishas, but that's another forum).

WrightwoodJohn likes this.
  17. Snake

I've found that any rope is stronger than IF.
    Tambo is stronger as well, IMHO.

18. Bradabelko4

Bradabelko4 Member

Hmm, I'll have to look into those, and try to figure out how to deal with rope.

19. BradNTX

BradNTX Well-Known Member

Most Cornell & Diehl blends have a pretty high nic content to me. I could get into their Burley flakes more if they didn't knock me for a loop so much. I've found a couple of their blends like Briar Fox are smokable to me; flavor it great, and nic is medium.

SG Black XX is rope, as Snake mentioned ropes, which has a nic punch, but not more than I can handle.

I've tried to keep up with PSF posts for what blends might be within my tolerance level before I buy them.

20. orto

orto Member

Awesome stuff guys, thanks! I'm pretty curious about SWR/SWRA, specifically the aromatic. I don't tend to buy many aromatics but now that there's a place in town selling Middleton's Cherry and SWR(A) I can finally try the other few OTC blends I'd been missing out on for so long.

I've been looking at tobaccoreviews.com but it's hard for me to put too much weight on the reviews, as the ones I've read of blends I've smoked were almost all opposite of my own impressions.

Interestingly I woke up this morning with a weird craving for a good vanilla. Might be the mild hangover causing that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.