1. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by orto, Jul 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BradNTX

BradNTX Well-Known Member

Jun 7, 2010
    I like TR for blend content, but find the same thing as you. If I trusted what most have said about SG Black XX, I would never have tried it. Descriptions like, "tastes like diesel fuel" or "strongest, most foul tobacco I've ever smoked" were not encouraging. PSFers egged me on to try it, I did, and it's good stuff. Not every PSF member has the same tastes that I do, but you start to learn who is a closer match to you and can make some good decisions on what to try from there.
  2. orto

orto Member

Jul 18, 2012
    Exactly Brad! I think there's always going to be a stigma, as with most things, that cheap equals bad. Where I'm at, it's rare to find more expensive blends to try because there aren't many pipe smokers, so our few shops won't try and stock up on things people aren't going to buy, so when I buy tobacco local, it tends to be the cheap stuff on hand. Naturally some of it was terrible, but some was perfectly fine, and on there, all of the reviews seem excessively negative.

Reminds me of how it was when the craft beer culture became big around here. Lots of people get a taste of a good, craft brew, and they forgot that you can still enjoy a cheap domestic beer when the time is right.
  3. MacNutz

MacNutz Active Member

Dec 7, 2011
    I don't really 'feel' the nicotine. Being an ex cig smoker, I too require a nic hit. If I want a cig after a bowl, then the baccy is too weak for me.

Tambo is nothing to be afraid of for a cig smoker, unless you inhale. I confess that I have inhaled Tambo without a problem. I prefer the stronger blends that give me the nic without tempting me to inhale. The tambo thing was just an experiment to see if it would make me sick or give me a buzz. I thought tobacco had made me sick once but as it turned out, I had a stomach bug of some sort.
    orto and dwaugh like this.
  4. WrightwoodJohn

WrightwoodJohn Wrightwood expatriate

Sep 24, 2011
    I was never a cigarette smoker, but can handle NC fine, (the flavor of this one far out ways the fear of too much nicotene). But I usually have it after a meal.:D As far as TR is concerned, I use it as a tool....those reviews aren't written in stone.
    I've tried some suggestions here that weren't all they are cracked up to be, quite frankly.
    orto likes this.
  5. Bradabelko4

Bradabelko4 Member

Jul 5, 2012
    I am a current cig smoker, and I often feel the need for one after a bowl. IF is the only smoke I haven't had felt the need to. I could actually feel it. I would love to find others stronger. I know generally rope and tombo(?).
  6. Jussto

Jussto Active Member

May 5, 2011
    SG Black XX rope and Tambolaka are at least as strong if not stronger than IF, especially the rope.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.