1. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Nirvana moment with FVF

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by JBWright, Nov 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JBWright

JBWright Member

I have liked FVF from the very moment I first tasted it. Tonight, however, I had one of those smokes where everything came together. The tobacco was dried to the point of crispiness and let me say that I will not smoke FVF any other way again. It smoked beautifully all the way to the bottom. I was disappointed when it finally went out. Thanks for listenin'.

BigJ, Mington, Beefcube and 7 others like this.
  2. Capt

Capt Active Member

I love FVF when it is at the perfect maoisture level. Usually, a microwave helps that along for me. lol

Mington, JimInks, Brit abroad and 2 others like this.
  3. Woodyarmadillo

Woodyarmadillo Member

Man, I had one of those tonight! FVF is amazing stuff.

Mington, JimInks and Brit abroad like this.
  4. fogpipe

fogpipe Member

I love it when that happens :) A good bowl of good tobacco can be one of the most transcendent experiences in life.

Mington, JimInks and Brit abroad like this.
  5. JimInks

JimInks Well-Known Member

I'm smoking a bowl of it now, too, and am glad I managed to get enough to smoke and age. I like it with a little moisture, even though I have to relight more than I want. I find tobacco tastes better not bone dry. But, that's me. Different ways for all of us; so long as it works for you, it's okay.

6. Woodyarmadillo

Woodyarmadillo Member

I agree. I rubbed one out (a flake that is) :) last night and ended up not getting around to smoking it. I woke up this morning and it was crispy dry. I've read that some people prefer it that way but I surely didn't when I had my morning smoke. It was an okay smoke, but it didn't seem to light much easier, didn't last as long and had lost a lot of its flavor. For me, it's perfect right after I rub it out even though it feels pretty moist.

JimInks and Mington like this.
  7. Jussto

Jussto Active Member

I just had my FVF aha moment last week. For me it was after 9 seconds in the microwave that I found out what all the fuss was about.

8. Mount Mandolin

Mount Mandolin Active Member

Warning, snob alert. I had my aha moment with FVF when I got to smoke some from 1999 that a PSFer sent me. Totally unreal what 13 years in the tin did for that stuff. It's definitely one of my favorite tobaccos.

JimInks and FlatbushPaul like this.
  9. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

I like FVF, and it is easily accessible to me, but for some reason I usually buy Sam's 'Best Brown' in preferance. And I just give a little drying time with flakes, as I find too dry is a thief of flavor - I don't mind a few relights!....but of course, whatever suits you is best!:).
    OT

10. remington

remington Member

I just ordered some FVF and the SG Chocolate Flake stuff. I've been messing around with Dunhill Flake and now have a difficult time going back to my Sutliff Molto Dolce. I've been driving myself crazy trying to have the nirvana experience like you. The out of the tin Dunhill gave me incredible flavors. I had no idea a non-aro could be that sweet and tasty. What I really liked was the medium body I think. It makes the Sut. seem like you're smoking air.

Anyway I've been trying the different methods of smoking flake. I just got a larger bowl (classic size) for my Falcon and one flake fits perfectly into it. Anyway after trying the roll and stuff, fold and stuff and cube methods I couldn't find the right draw - but, the flavor was incredible to say the very least.

So, I tried drying out the flakes remaining (about 4) 24 hours after reading about people doing it here. Folded and stuffed, it burned way too hot and the flavor was good, but the incredible-flavor was gone! Ahhhh! Too dry to roll, I tried it anyways, crammed it in the bowl and smoked it on the way home from work today. Burned too hot at times, would wait until it almost went out, got puffing and then it'd get too hot again. Boo. I stuck the remaining flakes in a baggy with one of those humidor gel humidification jars (70% rh) to try to recover the lost flavor or lost something.

I guess I'll have to keep practicing and experimenting to get it right. I'm sold on the Virginia Flakes. Can't wait for the FVF but I'm def not going to dry them. I'll start with like a half a flake for a short amount of time and smoke it in my smaller briar.

11. Ehrgeiz

Ehrgeiz Member

That fleeting nirvana moment is great, isn't it? I've recently purchased a 6oz of FVF and five tins of SG Best Brown to try and see what all the hubbub is about... The FVF is definitely good, though after an admittedly few bowls, I've yet to have that "Aha!" moment with it - in time I hope. My personal favorite of the decade is Dark Star (as challenging as it can be) and I've got the Aha-to-Great ratio pretty high. I can see the potential of the FVF, just gotta figure out the nuances of the tobacco.

12. Woodyarmadillo

Woodyarmadillo Member

FVF is back in stock (bulk) again at pipesandcigars.com. Just a heads up! Bobby said they've got about 50 ounces, minus the 4 ounces I ordered left. :)

JimInks likes this.
  13. muddler

muddler Active Member

Great to read of others who prefer their FVF to be really dry. This seems to bring out the best flavors -I once parfaited dry over damp FVF. The transition was dramatic! It was like it lost a bunch of flavor & depth. Try it please. BTW, I rub the dried flakes out quite well.

14. remington

remington Member

I def will, not sure why the same wasn't true for the Dunhill flake I attempted to dry out. Lost the flavor.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.