Nitrous Oxide Released From Pipe Tobacco?

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Stoked, May 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stoked

Stoked Member

I've come across several places on the net recently that have claimed that nitrous oxide is known to be released from pipe smoke. The claims are that this is a stimulant to the brain which gives your "clearer thinking". I haven't been able to find any proof of this however.

Has anyone ever heard of this? Is it true? Are there any links to studies which point to this being as being true?

2. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

Sounds like a muddle to me. Arguably, nicotine being a stimulant and a vasodilator, you should think as well as you are likely to after a good shot of it. But Nitrous is the stuff they make you groggy and goofy with at the dentist's office (and how it would be produced in a combustion equation eludes me) so I can't see that being any real help when it comes to hyper-consciousness.

3. The German Shepherd

The German Shepherd Member

Nitrous Oxide? Laughing gas? Maybe in trace amounts....

Jay

4. Marc

Marc Active Member

That is an interesting question, I have not heard of this before now, something to research this weekend.

5. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

Haven't heard of this particular one, but they are constantly changing the story about what is in smoke anyway so they can find something new to scare you with.

I do find pipe smoke a mental stimulant when needed, but it can also be a relaxing agent when you're stressed so maybe there is milage in this idea after all,

Happy smoking anyway

Gerry

6. Wydeboi

Wydeboi Member

I found this, refers to nitric oxide.
    It's about halfway down the page.

Nitric Oxide

7. Stoked

Stoked Member

Yes, nitrous oxide the stuff that is called laughing gas. But you know what, I was wondering why I couldn't really find anything about it on the net. I think Wydeboi solved the mystery. The link he posted says:

"Nitric oxide and nitrogen dioxide are found in tobacco smoke, so people who smoke or breathe in second-hand smoke may be exposed to nitrogen oxides."
    [font="'times new roman"]
    [/font]
    [font="'times new roman"]Notice it doesn't say "nitrous" oxide. I think people have heard about the reference to nitric oxide and started talking this up, without knowing what they were talking about since it is not the same as nitrous oxide.[/font]

That seems to explain it. I kinda thought this thread would turn out the way it did, just an interesting side note.

8. user0003

user0003 Well-Known Member

NOx is for injecting under pressure into the intake tract of your car, boat, scooter.....etc...... about the most fun you can have with the stuff and remember it. :goodjob:

9. user0003

user0003 Well-Known Member

Now that's SMOKE'n! :goodjob:

10. Rider

Rider Member

scooter? :bling: :thumbsd: :thumbsd:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.