No bad apples.

Discussion in 'The Smoking Lounge' started by Whalehead King, May 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Whalehead King

Whalehead King Balaenius Rex!!

Sometimes I read a thread and I think up some wiseacre response to something. I read what I've written and I ask myself, "How does this add to the conversation?" If it just seems to show off how clever I think I am, or disparage some aspect of what came before, I delete it. I mean: I highlight the text and press the delete button to make sure it won't get posted. Then I exit the screen hoping I've left no trace. I try to think twice and err, if not on the side of caution, then on the side of courtesy.

I respect the members here too much to try to be clever for its own sake, or risk seeming condescending. I may not always stay exactly on topic, I am who I am, and I tend to use flourishes of phrase (as this case of alliteration shows), but the longer I've been here, the more I try to be respectful and weigh my words against my intent. When I have posted something that may have questionable intent, it's nagged me through the next day, even if the post was taken as intended, in light-hearted fellowship. I am grateful to be invited into this community and take my place. Anyone, new comer or old timer, should feel the same. It is a nice place we have here.

Nothing I've come across recently has made me make this confession, but I did delete something tonight that I felt may be too smart-alecky. I am not smart and I am not an aleck. While there is room for spirited discussion and disagreement, and even friendly insults, we don't know each other except for our presence on the screen. You cannot see the smile and extended hand when you read what I wrote a year ago. I do not want to come across as a braying mule (insert your own synonym here). I'm certain no one else does either.

I think what I want to say, when all is said and done, is that I appreciate the level of discourse on PSF and I appreciate that most of the members rise to the occasion and deal with each other in the spirit of mutual respect. It has always been a rule of faith here that there are no dumb questions and ignorance is just an opportunity to share and learn, not to cast shame or blame. Whatever differences we have are water under the bridge, as transient and insubstantial as the smoke out of our bowls and the ash we tap out when we are through. If tobacco is our bond, there is more than that as well. We are comrades, brothers and sister of the briar, cob, clay, meerschaum, whatever you have. It is nice to grow older in your virtual company, my acquaintances. May our relationship last a long, long time.

With a handshake and best wishes,
    Smoke in good health,
    WK

zirrow and CMcF like this.
  2. JuJu McMojo

JuJu McMojo Member

I love you too, Mr. King. :hp2:

I think, as pipers that have contemplated the "mysteries of the universe" (nation, state, neighborhood, the tobacco in our bowl, or whatever) on our stoop (deck , porch, yard, whatever) we, as a collective, more forgiving, and understanding, than most. I, too, enjoy the "level of discourse" on the forum, and the mutual respect given to each and every member--otherwise, quite frankly, I wouldn't have signed up. (Shout out to Woody--congrats on 2 yrs) I look forward to growing old and cantankerous with you Mr. King where we can reminisce about the good 'ol days-- " I remembers when tobbacy costed $40 per tin, yes sa", you ununs' don't knows. but there used to be stores that sold 'bacy, yes sa....

In loving-kindness,

JuJu

3. Mike Pomery

Mike Pomery Active Member

Leave it to us less reserved to add some Zazz... :puffy:

4. t-bear

t-bear Well-Known Member

When I saw the title, I thought we were discussing pipe shapes. The content was a surprise....a pleasant one. I have my moments too WHK, when I stop myself from making a stupid "smart" comment....sometimes I'm too late. I enjoy the light-hearted camaraderie we have here...would never intentionally do anything to change that. May this group of *friends* grow and prosper.

5. Arkie

Arkie Active Member

I enjoy a bit of light-hearted banter (as long as I'm not the brunt of some lame attempt at humor;)). It's the mean spirited variety that annoys me and seen none of those sort of posts here.

6. CMcF

CMcF Member

This is along the lines of my own self imposed posting rule(s). If I don't feel my comment adds to the conversation, or is just rehashing what has been said DELETE. I have probably deleted more posts in my life than I've posted. I find that most of the things that drive me nuts on other forums simply do not exist here. Hmmmm.......maybe something to do with the Brotherhood of the Pipe?

7. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

Your writing is so good WK that whatever you write that may be repetitive would be a blessing cause chances are what was written before , though the same thought , was expressed sophmoricly in comparison . But I'm fan so ... thats my opinion . I also realize that you care more than most ,which is to your credit .

8. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

As a resident nitwit, I admire your restraint, WHK. I'm not copasetic with mean spirited brow beating either, but if I think someone will get a chuckle from some inspired bit of lunacy I typed, oh yeah, it's getting submitted. There are times the topic at hand is straight forward and doesn't call for this type of behavior, and I mostly comply. But it isn't always this way, and then it's my time to shine! Or stink up the works, whatever.

I figure besides pipe smoking, another common thread we have here is we are all social creatures. We crave the association of like minded individuals, and interact according to our own instincts and personalities. Barring extremes in it's application, I find the humor and frivolity refreshing....just like in actual face to face encounters.

I'm glad there are straight shooters here though, too. It takes all kinds to really claim an active, healthy, vibrant community. PSF is just that. The cross section of people here help assure other members, regardless of disposition, are welcome, informed, and enlightened.

Yeah, I have to agree, this is a pretty cool place to hang your hat.

9. 51flgoose

51flgoose Member

It's the light-hearted responses intermixed with the more relevant replies that make this forum such a pleasure. Information and entertainment all rolled into one!.... I find that most, if not all, of the "wise-acre" comments are in fun and not mean-spirited.

10. woody

woody Admin Admin

Just want to jump in to say I have put us up a dedicated blogging site. All topics are welcome. blogment.com

11. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

Way to go Woody !

12. woody

woody Admin Admin

Thanks Ruff. I'm constantly working on something. I don't want to go into details to much here but if you read the main page at the new site I think a lot of people will like the possibilities . I think of it as a collective blog and that is it's strength.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.