No luck with OTC burley-suggestions?

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Raffxr7, Aug 18, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Raffxr7

Raffxr7 Active Member

I haven't had much luck with OTC blends of burley, is there a better blend I should try?

2. TedVig

TedVig total pipeflake

what have you tried so far?

3. BradNTX

BradNTX Well-Known Member

Solani Aged Burley Flake- only sold in tins and fairly pricey, but super good
    Mac Baren Golden Extra- as inexpensive as OTC and really good
    Esoterica Stonehaven- inexpensive, but hard to find... super good
    Peter Stokkebye Cube Cut- inexpensive, super good

The Mac B & PS come in bulk for really good prices and are great smokes.

RTOdhner likes this.
  4. Spillproof

Spillproof Mostly Harmless Moderator

I'm assuming you've smoked Carter Hall, Prince Albert, Captain Black....

Have you ever tried the Altadis Edgeworth Ready Rub match?

5. Raffxr7

Raffxr7 Active Member

Whoa-that was a lot of suggestions in a short period of time. I'm going to get to work on them, shy of flake. I need more feeling in my hand to rub the tobacco out, and nerves grow back slowly. It gets annoying, and fast. And Spill is on the money. After a second read through, I realized that most were flake (or I read it wrong) so that'll give me a good starting point. Thanks fellas!

6. BradNTX

BradNTX Well-Known Member

Mac Baren Golden Extra and PS Cube Cut are not flakes. Cube Cut is about the easiest tobacco to load there is too. ABF is flake, but they are small and thick. You can wad them, instead of rubbing them out, and they crumble-load pretty easy.

7. Pschoppy48

Pschoppy48 Member

MacB. London Burley Blend

Ted Vig and RTOdhner like this.
  8. Ozark Nick

Ozark Nick Member

I really didn't like Carter Hall at first. But something kept bringing me back to it, now it's my favorite.

Coda and cobbsmoker like this.
  9. el guero

el guero Member

If you haven't tried Sir Walter Raleigh Aromatic it might be worth doing so, it is one of my favorites!

10. cobbsmoker

cobbsmoker Active Member

What blends have you tried? And have you tried them both in a cob and briar?

11. Raffxr7

Raffxr7 Active Member

I'll have to revisit the burleys I've tried in a cob. I figured I'd come back to the OTCs after awhile of having my taste buds acquire *good* taste. half & half, PA, CH, SWR-which I tried recently and enjoyed, but need to rehydrate and gave leniency on the bite for that. I think there was another, but I can't remember the name for the life of me.

As for the issue with flake-a bullet clipped the fingers on my right hand and I don't have knuckles in the middle of 'em now. My other arm/hand is numb, shy of the index & thumb-which are the same I have use of on my right. I had problems wadding up a ball of tobacco for a conical bowl, and figured flake was still out of my reach. I get feeling in my left arm/hand once in awhile, it's from a pinched nerve in my neck-so I may get some burley flake and wait for a good time to try it.

Sometimes it's too easy to overlook the obvious, like a second chance in a cob. I've still got CH jarred-so I'll give that a go for my next smoke, and take a list with me to my B&M. They may sell mostly lane limited, and most OTC's (shy of sugar barrel), but have a few tins on hand as well.

12. cobbsmoker

cobbsmoker Active Member

Have you considered using a small coffee grinder for prepping flake tobaccos?

Old Codger, BradNTX and Coastal Bend like this.
  13. Raffxr7

Raffxr7 Active Member

That's a great idea-I had pretty much ruled out flake before today. Thanks!

Old Codger likes this.
  14. RTOdhner

RTOdhner Well-Known Member

Any of the basic MacB blends are pretty good. Scottish Mixture, Golden Extra, Burley London Blend, ans Symphony are wonderful Burley blends, and they run about $25 a pound in bulk.

15. JescoWhite

JescoWhite Member

Have you tried the fold and stuff method with flakes? No need to rub them out at all.

16. TedVig

TedVig total pipeflake

I second Burley London blend.

OldSouled65 likes this.
  17. FlatbushPaul

FlatbushPaul Cellar is located in an undisclosed bunker

The cheap coffee grinder method work terrific. I will fold & stuff sometimes as well but I seem to get more flavor when I rub out flakes. The coffee grinder works really well with very wet flakes like 1792 and Dark Star.

18. EmperorGix

EmperorGix Member

I've never had it, though it is on my list - what about Five Brothers?

On that subject, there was a site that sold cobs, Petersons, and Five Brothers - a very simple site as I recall, but that's all I remember. :shead: Does anyone have that site on hand? You can PM me if posting it wouldn't be kosher.

19. OldSouled65

OldSouled65 Active Member

I third this. One of my top 5 favorite burleys

Ted Vig likes this.
  20. kb7get

kb7get Member

That was Byron and has shut down his web page. Is getting out of selling cobs. Too much work for his operation but you can still call and order from him. Talked to him last week and grabbed the last of his straight CG's and Egg's. Has a few bent Dip's, Cg's and Egg's left. Think he might be closing out on OTC's tobacco also. Was not sure if he was going to put up a web page again. He conciders himself a small operation and does not have the help to do the online selling.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.