Nom Nom Nom

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by ArtisanArcher, May 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ArtisanArcher

ArtisanArcher Member

Just got a new bag of Smoker's Pride Black Cavendish. Am I bragging? Perhaps :D

I've actually taken the precaution to "cellar" about 9oz of this. Only smoking about 3 pipes a week I'm curious how well an Aro will age over the course of a few months. I think there's been a thread about cellaring Aro's recently, though I don't recall the consensus of it.

Better with age.
    Happy Smoking
    Arty

2. OldSchool

OldSchool Member

We'll be finding out together Arty, as I've started keeping various SPs under glass. I don't expect any noticeable change from PG-marinated aros; I'll be happy if it just stays fresh and keeps the same flavor. Except for the SP Vanilla; I would really like that one to improve. Who would have thought Lane of all companies would screw up a vanilla that badly? :eek:

3. ArtisanArcher

ArtisanArcher Member

Well, i can give ya some good news on the Vanilla. I've got a got a bag that I just divided up for smoking use that aged in my closet for about 9 months after aging in a friends glove box for 3 months. I'd have to taste some of it fresh to be able to tell you the real difference, but I do know that I didn't care for it at all a year ago, and now I like it enough to smoke it two or three times a week. It's still bland and boring, but dependable.

4. OldSchool

OldSchool Member

I'm finding the SP Vanilla bitter and steamy on its own, so far. Tried mixing it with SP Black and it came out even more bitter and steamier. Tried SP Cherry with it -- wasn't terrible but it didn't blow my skirt up either. I guess I'll push it further back on the shelf and mark my calendar.

5. ArtisanArcher

ArtisanArcher Member

I would describe it as anything BUT bitter. You might consider sticking it in the console or glove box of your car for a while and let it sit out in the sun. Perhaps when my friend left it in his glovebox for 3 months it cooked it after some manner. At least it's cheap, if you screw it up you'll know better next time. :)

6. OldSchool

OldSchool Member

Hmm. Maybe it was interacting badly with a little ghost in my beater pipe. Well, I have nearly a full bag of the stuff left so I might try aging it under different conditions and see what happens.

7. Snake

Snake permanent ankle biter

Arty,

Almost all aros don't age. They stay
    the same, in my experience. It is
    known that they even diminish over
    time. The sealed tins / jars should
    keep the aro just as it is, barring
    unforeseen conditions. FWIW

dp

8. OldSchool

OldSchool Member

Ah, thanks. I don't think I'll waste a jar on the Vanilla then, just re-bag it and take my chances.

9. ArtisanArcher

ArtisanArcher Member

And a glovebox in a non-garaged vehicle in a mid-west summer is an unforeseen circumstance... hmmm... cool beans

Thanks Snake

Arty

10. Marc

Marc Active Member

I hate to tell you this, but aromatics do not age only degrade over time, sorry!:(

11. Kiowapipe

Kiowapipe Active Member

Some aromatics contain a significant amount of Virginia leaf, why couldn't they age?
    I've never kept an aromatic sealed in a tin or a jar for long-term cellaring purposes, so I can't speak to that.
    I have kept aromatics in pouches or in jars that I crack open every once in a while and I can tell you they do change over time, and some of them I've enjoyed more after they've sat for a few months to a year. Part of it may be drying out or letting an excess of topping dissipate. I guess you could call that degraded, but it would be a degraded leaf that I preferred to the fresh stuff.

12. Marc

Marc Active Member

Opening a tin or pouch of tobacco and letting it breathe for a while before smoking it is not the same as aging a tobacco for years, cased aromatics will not benefit from age.

13. Kiowapipe

Kiowapipe Active Member

I agree with the first part of that, but I'm curious about the second part. There's quite a spectrum of 'aromatics,' from over the top cherry or vanilla blends to more-or-less ordinary Virginias etc. that just have a mild topping or casing. I'll buy that Captain Black won't get any better and might get worse when aged, but I don't know why an otherwise good blend that just happens to have some flavoring added couldn't age. Do you think certain flavorings chemically block the sugars from breaking down or something? Honestly just wondering.

14. Marc

Marc Active Member

I do not mean virginia blends with an aromatic top note or flavoring like Orlick Golden sliced for example, I'm talking about cased cavendish bulk blends.

15. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

I've smoked some old lane bulks that a pal had .. I'm guessing 3-5 years . What I noticed , in difference , was that the blends were not so much drier [ which they were a bit ] but more so firmer . The rate of burn I thought was better than a fresh sample [ in this case I'm thinking BCA ] but the flavor was changed some. It's hard to explain but it seemed that certain " notes " of the aro were more up front while others were diminished . For all I know it's the blend breaking down to nothingness over time or it's some real ageing . With the BCA I'm remembering that the " toasty " flavor was more upfront than from a fresh batch . I've also had aro blends that were real old , though I dont know if they were stored properly , and they tasted almost flavorless . I smoke SWR aro and I've left an unopened pouch around by accident for say 6 months . I pull it open and smoked it and couldnt tell a difference . I dont think there's alot out there about aged aros , at least what I've read , and I guess the thing to do is put some up and forget about it for a few years and then try some . I think the amount of PG will make a difference for sure . Ya wont know unless ya try .

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.