1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.
  2. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Non-dedicated pipes

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by MakDragon, Apr 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MakDragon

MakDragon Well-Known Member

Jan 26, 2011
    I am well aware, thanks mostly to the info provied here at this forum, of the benefits of dedicating a specific pipe to a particular type of tobacco or blend, but does anyone here use the same pipe to smoke aromatics and non aromatics on a regular basis? And your thoughts of doing such?
  2. jhe888

jhe888 Member

Aug 26, 2010
    No, but I don't smoke any really sweet, goopy or heavily flavored aromatics, anyway. The occasional light vanilla is as far as I go in an aromatic toby.

If I smoked a heavily flavored cherry or something similar, I'd probably keep a separate pipe for it.

It may be heresy, but I do smoke English mixes and Virginias in the same pipe.
  3. AndyLowry

AndyLowry Member

Aug 28, 2010
    I don't bother with assigning pipes to blends. There are some cases where the chamber is more suitable for one type of tobacco than another, but those pipes don't get that blend exclusively. I do get a little Kendal perfume in a straight Virginia sometimes, but I can live with that.
  4. Kyle Black

Kyle Black Member

Jan 4, 2011
    Ehhh not so much aros and non aros but ill smoke any regular tobacco out of one of my briars, kinda a workforce pipe.
  5. TheKiltedOne

TheKiltedOne Sales Account

Mar 4, 2011
    I only have one pipe so my opinion can't really count but even if I did have more than one I can't see myself saving one ppe for a particular Toby without good reason.

Just my tuppence tho

6. ArtisanArcher

ArtisanArcher Member

Jan 22, 2011
    I smoke just about anything out of my cobs. My first brier pipe is kind of a catch all for my different Aros. But then again, I haven't been in the game long enough, or had the budget to blow on toby and pipes to assign one per pipe strictly.

Happy Smoking
  7. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Vaperburlataro ! Mayor

Sep 25, 2009
    People say there are advantages to a cake .. a dimes tickness and up I guess and to dedicate a pipe to a blend or blend type . I used to do this years ago . It's what I learned in a pipe shop . After a time I'd get a pipe and didnt let it cake just to see if it made a diff . Imo by the time you get a good cake the pipe is broken in basicly . A broken in pipe w/ out a cake , to me , smokes as well plus the fact that you dont get ghosts as easy . I smoke whatever blend in a pipe I want and I dont let them cake and I keep them clean all the time . Now some blends are just real funky . If I smoke a funky blend then I follow up w/ SWR the next time I smoke it . This is just my "non" method as I've been told that I dont know what I'm doing so ... who knows . I do have one pipe that I smoke Cherry Blends in order to get a heavy cherry ghost and it's fun . One time I ate nothing but carbs for a few weeks and lost 13 lbs while the cool thing at the time was the atkins diet . Funny thing is I've kept it off since . But what do I know ... the big news in Blue Ridge for today , and probably a week , is that the Macdonalds is finaly open after being remodeled . .. .. Just a good ol boy [ Ruffinogold .. the Italian southern mountain redneck .. lol ]
  8. jpberg

jpberg Moderator Moderator

Feb 9, 2010
    I have a few pipes that see nothing but Va/perique blends, a few that see nothing but virginias. Most of my pipes see any and all English/Oriental tobaccos that I smoke. I don't mind putting say Christmas Cheer or Best Brown Flake through an English/Oriental pipe because I get nothing by way of odd ghosting from something that is a base tobacco in English blends anyway.

I would be hesitant, however, to put a bright, citrusy va through an English pipe.

I stay away from lakelands altogether, so that's a non-issue for me. Same for aromatics.
  9. Cobra

Cobra Member

Oct 18, 2009
    Back when I started smoking a pipe, most smokers had one maybe two pipes at most so it never occurred to us to dedicate a pipe for a certain tobacco. I knew one fellow back then that had four pipes and most people considered him foolish with his money. Probably why I stayed with the same tobacco most of the time, if you kept switching tobaccos back then you were considered a little flaky and couldn't make up your mind, much like cigarette smokers usually stay with one brand.

That was another time, thought processes were different back then. In that regard I still don't change tobaccos very often but when I do I guess you could say I'm from the stuff it and burn it school with whatever pipe happens to be handy. :eek:hyeah:
  10. Schmitz Bitz

Schmitz Bitz Member

Jan 17, 2011
    When it comes to cobs, I just grab the next one up and load it with whatever; but then again, I don't allow a cake to form, so not much chance of heavy ghosting.

With my (three) briars, I have one pipe that I've dedicated to latakia and Oriental blends, namely because I don't want everything to taste like Presby or Ten Russians. I suppose I do tend to reach for my Brigham billiard over my Medico billiard when I'm smoking Va's or VaPers, but I think that is more due to size group (the Medico is tiny - 30 min pipe, while the Brig is huge, 2h+, plus it fits flake) and material quality than an attempt at dedicating to blends.
  11. ruffinogold

Sep 25, 2009
    Thats a damn nice pipe in your avatar !
  12. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

Feb 7, 2011
    That actually sounds like a very workable "non-method". I would think any tobacco with a strong burley presence would work as well. Sounds to me like you know what you're doing!
  13. ruffinogold

Sep 25, 2009

Lotta guys would say 5 brothers and I'd bet theyre right ! I have yet to try that blend . It's a strong Burley and would probably blast a ghost out of a pipe
  14. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

Dec 25, 2009
    Hi All,

I grew up in the days when guys just had the one pipe and switching tobaccos all the time just wasn't done - you'd have been seen as indecisive and the kind of bloke who couldn't make up his mind about things.

My ambition then was to have seven pipes - one for each day of the week and that was seen in those days as the sign of being very rich, very knowledgeable - or just plain extravagant. I was often told my pipes would go sour on me if I didn't smoke them regularly, which I couldn't do as I had too many!

I'm like Ruffin though, I don't allow a heavy cake to build up and whatever tobacco I'm smoking that day goes into that day's pipe, which gets a thorough cleaning each night.

It's a "non system" that's worked well enough for me for over 40 years; but everyone is different and has their own ideas.

Guess you could say all my pipes are "Dedicated" - to pipe tobacco in general!

Happy smoking whatever

15. telltime

telltime Active Member

Aug 17, 2010
    I have a ridiculous number of pipes (40+) considering how often (or I should say how little) I smoke. I am lucky if I get to smoke once a day on average. During the winter, I smoke probably 2-5 bowls a week, while in warmer months when I'm outdoors more, I get about two bowls a day in...

That being said, I don't "dedicate" any of my pipes. I do have pipes that I use for flakes, but those pipes also see ribbon tobacco. Now, even with that number of pipes, like anyone else I have my favorites. And of those favorite pipes that see regular use, I occasionally ghost a pipe with something aromatic and then switch to something else.

I have to say, it's kind of enjoyable... getting a trace of something else. For me, it's like enjoying the same wine with different meals. A really nice Merlot will have different flavors come out with a steak as opposed to a browned chicken in a mushroom sauce, but the traces of familiarity will still be there.

I get the same enjoyment in the first two or three bowls when I switch tobaccos...

Of course, if it's something I hated (like a Latakia, for me), I clean the hell out of the pipe and let it rest for a while!
  16. Kyler

Kyler Member

Mar 12, 2011
    I do have some non dedicated pipes from my personal experience I just do not get to aggresive in the types of English or Aromatics I smoke in the pipe so it does not get flavored to one particular style.
  17. user0003

user0003 Well-Known Member

May 8, 2009
    I dedicate all my burners.....to pipe weed.

+1 TT
  18. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

Feb 11, 2010
    Let's see...

I have four straight VA pipes(3 flake), one Vaper, two Latakia, one Lakeland, two aromatics, two Kentucky, one OTC burley, and a handful of pipes that are reserved for whatever I'm in the mood for at the time.

And...if this wasn't already a habit, I'd undedicate them all. I don't too often smoke the more ghostly blends anyways, so I'm artificially limiting myself. Well, except for the Stanwell Dublin...it refuses to play nice with anything but Perique...weird.
  19. Snake

Snake permanent ankle biter

Jun 13, 2010
    I have a few new pipes that aren't
    dedicated. ;) My three favourite
    blends have their own dedicated
    pipes, but my others are willing
    to accept whatever I stuff in them.

20. HCraven

HCraven Active Member

Mar 17, 2011
    I don't do many aromatics these days, but I ruled out crossing over between them and other blends a long time ago. I had a tin of something called "Hacker's Fireside Mixture" which I liked at the time (not so much now; I think it's long gone anyway) and I smoked it in my (then new) Savinelli Dry System Rhodesian. Even though I hadn't yet smoked it enough to build any real cake, that stuff left that pipe funkier than Bootsy Collins. Later, I tried an English blend in the pipe, one that I had enjoyed in numerous other pipes, and it was just completely ruined by the lingering stank of the heavy aromatic, terribly sour and off-putting. I scraped, sweetened and let it sit for an eternity before coming back to it, wondering if I would ever be able to enjoy it again.

If I do smoke aros these days, they are a lot more subtle, and they don't get anywhere near the pipes that I reserve for other blends. When in doubt, I'll try them in a cob, so that if they are over the top I won't mind chucking the pipe, if necessary.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.