1. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Noob just got a new pipe and some tobacco!

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by maitre, Jun 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. maitre

maitre Member

Jun 16, 2010
    Hey guys,

I'm a noobie pipe smoker. Many moons ago, I started off with cigarettes. While the rest of my friends became addicted, I didn't for some strange reason. I smoked cigarettes on and off for many years and literally would be able to pick it up and put it away whenever I wanted. Next came cigars. Being in Canada, I started off with Cubans because of the availability. Ironically, I grew to love Nicaraguans and Hondurans instead. Anyways, I haven't smoked anything for the last 3 years or so but wanted to get back into some tobacco out of enjoyment. I hate cigarettes (kills my lungs) and cigars are way too expensive in Canada so I turned to pipe smoking.

I started about 4 weeks ago.. maybe less. I picked up a corn cob. They don't have missouri meerschaum here so I had to settle with a Fujima. Let's just say it works... but the bowl was tiny.

My first tobacco was MacBaren Mixture (Scottish)... Don't like it. It was too wet in the pouch and bit like crazy. I tried to dry it out and it seemed to go from too wet to too dry. I've yet to have an enjoyable smoke from this.

My second tobacco was Samuel Gawith Kendal Cream Mixture. Now this was definitely an upgrade from the MMixture. Very smooth with nice aroma and hardly bit at all!

I recently ordered an extra large Mario Grandi and it arrived on monday. It's a tall full bent egg(?); and the bowl is about 3" tall and about an inch wide. The bowl fills my hand and it feels like I'm holding onto a grenade - I love it. I'll post pictures of it soon. I'm going to need to learn how to polish it because the original polish seems to be coming off and the pipe is taking on a dull appearance.

I also placed an order from 4noggins. Here's what came in on Tuesday:

McClelland Blackwoods Flake
    McClelland 3 Oaks Syrian
    McClelland Grand Oriental Classic Samsun
    GL Pease Westminster
    Cornell & Diehl Sunday Picnic
    Solani Aged Burley Flake
    4noggins Bald Headed Teacher

Of them all, my favorite has to be Westminster and Bald Headed Teacher. BHT is defintely the easiest to like because of its aromatic-like character. Westminster is just something else! I've never smoked anything like it and it reminds me of Laphroaig. It is so full of flavour and the aroma is nice (to me... but not the girlfriend).

Blackwoods Flake was difficult for me. The first bowl was too wet so i had burn problems. I rubbed some out and let it rest for the day.. when I went back to it for the second time, it smoked a lot nicer but still seemed a bit wet. I can see why people like this though and I have to say that I am part of the crowd that also enjoys it. I have high hopes for this baccy once it dries out a bit.

3OS and CSamsun almost taste the same to me .. but then again, I smoked them back to back in my cob then briar. I've only tried them once each and they both seemed quite tasty so I have to say I like both so far. As for which one I enjoy more, I'll have to decide down the road.

I tried to smoke Sunday Picnic in flake (broken) form but it refused to stay lit. However, despite the burn issues, I really liked the flavour and aroma. I've rubbed it out and am letting it dry out a bit before trying again.

I just had a half bowl (my big bowl!) of Solani ABF and it knocked me on my ass - it is definitely strongest of the lot! The aroma is.. well, let's just say it's an acquired taste haha

What do you guys think about my starting line up? Which ones would you recommend me to really focus on? Which other tobaccos would you recommend for someone who has smoked cigarettes/cigars for years prior?
  2. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

Feb 11, 2010
    What do I think?

Good job on picking, dude!

If Westminster is a quick favorite, stick with Latakia. However, I think you could search forever and still find that Westminster is your 'go to' tobacco. Many experiences pipsters do. It is that respected.

Most of us cultured (yeah, I said it) guys tend to fall into general 'flavor' catagories...English fans, Va fans, Va/Per fans, Burley fans...and, (sigh) aromatic fans. The fun is the pursuit of the 'Holy Grail'...hell, about a year into it, and I'm still looking.

Enjoy your stash....I'm jealous.

Welcome to PSF.

3. Unforgivin

Unforgivin Active Member

Mar 3, 2010
    Welcome to the show!
    You've done great so far I guess. As long as you're happy then it's right.

At least you didn't get any Super value cherry cavendish for your first smoke. That stuff would knock a buzzard off a **** wagon!
    :thumb: ​
  4. Deckard

Deckard Active Member

Jan 29, 2010
    I really want to try those McClelland Grand Orientals, the whole line looks awesome. My next TAD shipment might just have all eight.
  5. Snake

Snake permanent ankle biter

Jun 13, 2010
    Welcome, Maitre!

So far, G.L. Pease is a big hit with me, but the one's I've tried are
    mostly VA blends. Not a big English blend fan, although, I DO like
    a nice dram or six of Laphroaig (or any Islay for that matter).
    Absolutely an exhaustive variety of English blends out there to
    choose from. As far as aro's go, I tend to lean heavily towards the
    Danish ones.

Happy smoking!

Smoke 'em if ya got 'em
  6. Jvail

Jvail Member

Feb 16, 2010
    Welcome...this hobby will drive your girlfriend up the wall. I used to smoke cigarettes, and I find a similarity when smoking virginia flake. There's alot of tongue bite that comes with them, though. Virginias tempered with perique or cavendish are really nice.

7. CBR

CBR Member

Jan 16, 2010
    Welcome fellow Canadian! Reading your post reminded me a lot of myself, never really stuck to cigs, cigars were great but so pricey, and now pipes (I order from 4noggins too!!). Your starting line up sounds like a good bunch of blends, on your next order you might want to try a true VaPer. I noticed most of your line-up are tobaccoreviews 4 star ratings, but try Peter Stokkebye Luxury Navy Flake or GL Pease Fillmore, both are 3 stars but IMHO are excellent VaPers in their own rights. Both are VaPers but have very different smoking characteristics - you might enjoy them.

Again, welcome to PSF!
  8. rusty

rusty Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Hi maitre, looking forward to seeing pictures of your new pipe.
  9. Longrifle3006

Longrifle3006 Member

Jun 26, 2010
    gad I'll second that opinion....stuff is like sucking on a cherry poo flamethrower...
  10. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

Mar 15, 2010
    Welcome Maitre! You done real good! Nice variety of weed ya got there and hey, you smoke a cob too!

Having a nice variety on-hand is the bomb! Keep up the good work!
  11. maitre

maitre Member

Jun 16, 2010
    Thanks for all the input, guys! As some of you have noticed, many of the blends are the 4 stars on tobacco reviews. I guess you can say I'm starting at the top! However, I just checked out the 3 stars and found an even wider range of baccys that I'm going to have to try.

My to-get list is growing and growing!

By the way, here is my pipe.. I will also start another thread in the Pipe forum.

12. Thesneetch

Thesneetch Member

Jun 24, 2010
    It's a beauty!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.