Noob Milestone

Discussion in 'The Smoking Lounge' started by eddy13, Feb 26, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. eddy13

eddy13 Member

I've only been smoking for roughly a month and I wouldn't even call it 'smoking', more like trying to get the pipe lit and stay lit. Last night was the first time I was able to keep it going with a few relights and smoke it completely. I didn't have very much white ash, just black. I used a mix of PA and some Tobacco Galleria Vanilla, which didn't taste all that well, but this was a major step. Looking forward to refining my technique and exposing myself to some new tobaccos in another month or so. Right now I am working through the PA, which I like, and CBW which I'm still unsure of- I'm assuming once I continue becoming proficient the tobaccos will smoke and taste different. I'm thinking of possibly staying with Burleys for awhile and not bounce back and forth so I can develop a sense of 'taste' and a baseline of sorts to work from.

Also, a big thanks to all those who took the time to 'answer' my recent Intro posting..

:sf1:

2. Ol Brokedik

Ol Brokedik Active Member

3. Ol Brokedik

Ol Brokedik Active Member

If you don't have a pipe tool, get one. Learn how to use all the parts of the tool. Relight as many times as you need to. I sometimes relight 4-5 times depending on what I'm smoking.

Good luck. Be well.
    Ol Brokedik.

4. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

Hey ... thats a good thing ! It's nice when ya can just smoke and not have to light so much .... The PA is an easy smoker for sure . The PA Soft Vanilla is easy as well and real tasty imo . When youre up to it and are still in the burley mood ... try some higher end burley like MB GE or MB London , Wessex etc ... just might blow yer mind . Glad you got to this point .. it only gets better ! Enjoy

5. jayf

jayf Member

Also, try SWR Aromatic. Very good all the way around,
    Cheers,
    Jayf

6. BrianthePipeman

BrianthePipeman Member

Ah yes, the glory days. Hey, it'll keep getting better and better. Are you lighting your pipe with a lighter or matches?

7. Major

Major Member

The amazing thing is it takes practice and patience to get to know the behaviors of each blend you like. Don't go forceing the issue of keeping re-lites down too much. Enjoy your toby first, if it goes out and you have to relight theres no such thing as pipe pixies that come around to ruin your day. There are no rules as to how many times you have to relight till your considered a pro.

Oh sure its nice to only have to relight once or twice. There are days when I have to relight that little. Some days more with the same blend. I may have packed it just a hair to loose or too tight. The humidity in the air plays a factor too. Who knows..... who cares really? Don't focus on it so much that it ruins the purpose of smoking the pipe and enjoyinig the toby.

PA is a really good OTC blend. But then again I appreciate burleys more than anything. The CBW ? I wasn't sure of it either then I tried Carter Hall and I became sure that CBW was for .... hmm come to think of it I don't see what its for anymore. A good potpourri? :cool:

8. Major

Major Member

I forgot to add that if you are finding you palate if favoring burleys then might I suggest a few for you.

1. Altadis J4 Mild burley ( a nice mild every day burley slightly cased for sweetness)

2. Solani Aged Burley Flake ( unsweetened and full body with an nice raw cocoa undertone)

9. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

Hi All,

It really isn't easy to begin with. Just hang in there and take it all slowly. Prince Albert is a good one to learn with - but I found it took over a month for me to really "get" the taste of this one, whereas with Carter Hall it worked for me from the off,

Happy smoking

Gerry

10. IrishRover

IrishRover Active Member

Glad to hear you're getting along nicely with it. From what I've come to understand; patience is the key...It's a great hobby/lifestyle I am happy for you that you've decided to stick with it.

11. eddy13

eddy13 Member

Carter Hall keeps being mentioned, so I will be getting some and seeing what everyone is talking about.

Thanks!

12. akohtz

akohtz Member

I've just recently been trying the J4 and I like it. It's very similar, in my opinion, to Lane Limited bulk Burley Lite (their BLWB). Lane's burley and Carter Hall are my two favorite 'go to' smokes.

The Solani Aged is one that I hope to try one day ...

- Andrew

13. eddy13

eddy13 Member

Using a pipe lighter now, my initial attempts were with matches. That just resulted in a lot of burnt matches and fingers.
    I am going to go back and practice with them, now that I'm a bit more comfortable with what I am doing.

14. RTOdhner

RTOdhner Well-Known Member

Keep at it, because once you get your technique down you're really gone a love it. Stick with the OTC/Burly baccy for a while, because they really are great tobaccos.

15. eddy13

eddy13 Member

I was overwhelmed by all the fancy 'good' tin tobacco at my local Tinderbox and then made the mistake of getting sucked into the Tobacco Review website and figured I had to spend $$$ for my new hobby, but I like the idea of smoking what my grandfathers did and keep it simple-maybe later on I will try some of the other stuff.

16. BrianthePipeman

BrianthePipeman Member

Trust me, they are a lot better. Once you get the hang of it you will really enjoy matches.

17. Sweatsack

Sweatsack Member

I still keep my zippo around for convenience but matches are the best light, in my opinion.

I went to a warehouse store today and got some nice matches. They are small boxes of Diamond strike anywhere wooden matches. The box is about the size of a zippo, actually, so it's convenient to carry. They are good quality, convenient, and a ten-pack of these little boxes (32 matches per box, so 320 matches total) cost 88 cents.

18. eddy13

eddy13 Member

Sounds like exactly what I need- the box I picked up at my pipe store didn't last more than a few minutes during my first attempts.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.