Noob suggestions

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by simonsmith, Jun 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. simonsmith

simonsmith Member

Hi guys,
    Hope this is the proper place, I didn't see a noobie section..
    Anyway. I've been a long time smoker 17-18 years, and really need to get off the cigs.
    I've been rolling my own for quite some time, I smoke about 6 oz of Criss Cross a week. And figured since I'm technically already smoking pipe tobacco, why not try a pipe.
    So I ordered an estate pipe on eBay, it's a Trail Blazer, I really like the aesthetics of it, the design caught my eye, not your everyday drug store pipe.
    So now I need some suggestions for some good stuff to put in it..
    I need super high make you dizzy nicotine, in order to get over these cigs, I tried Carter Hall, and Sir Walter and I found them to be weak in flavor, and nicotine. They made me want a cigarette :thumbsu:..
    So can you all help me out here, I don't know any of the name brands yet, and all my local carries is cheap stuff, as I live in a state where Budweiser is beer of choice.. I'm going to have to order it online.
    So what are some natural pipe tobacco, with strong flavor and nicotine and where should I go to get them.
    P.S. I'm also not a fan of smoking aged tobacco, I like fresh smokes, and the longer tobacco ages or ferments, the higher the TSNA levels, and the stuffs already bad enough with out that.
    Thanks for your time folks..

2. ryan65

ryan65 Member

here is a few that should help out-

gawith and hoggarth's black irish twist or brown irish twist

peterson Irish Flake

just a couple off the top of my head lol

3. Planet Scott

Planet Scott Member

Dunhill Royal Yacht always gave me a buzz.

4. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

Hi and Welcome!

Purely on the nicotine stakes Five Brothers can't be beaten and its great for burning in new pipes.

Having made the switch from cigs to pipes permasnently in 1974 I know it can be done; but you need to work on your pipe tecnique, get a good medium strength flavousome tobacco you can enjoy and savour and make the time to enjoy the smoke. With a pipe the nic hit takes longer - about 20 mins.

Good luck and enjoy!

gerry

5. Johnny

Johnny Member

Give some Gawith Hoggarth blends a try. Kendal Kentucky and Dark Birdseye are both flavorful and potent.

6. Strongirish

Strongirish Member

All the ones suggested here will do the trick but 5 Bros is the one I suggest and it tastes a lot like cigarettes.

7. simonsmith

simonsmith Member

Thank you for the suggestions, I have them on my list.
    Another question, has anyone tried the Iwan Ries & Co. blends?

8. Dondi

Dondi Active Member

I was at their store and got a chance to sample several blends. My favorite is Balkan Supreme... I suggest you drop then an email and tell them what you're looking for, they have the best customer service and may even send you some free samples!

9. willzyx1980

willzyx1980 Member

I second the Gawith & Hoggarth suggestions. Particularly twist tobaccos. I bought some Sweet Rum Twist from here (http://pipesandcigars.com/ghtobacco.html) though it's probably available elsewhere too. It's a nicotine bomb, and I really don't find much sweetness or rum in it. Just natural tobacco flavor.

If you can't bring yourself to buy something with the words "sweet" and "rum" in it, it is said that Brown Irish X (Brown Irish Twist) is even stronger in nicotine, and it's definitely not sweet or rum.

Plus by smoking twist tobaccos you get the added benefit of being a confirmed badass.

10. simonsmith

simonsmith Member

I did exactly that. Waiting for a response on some suggestions.. Thank you

Thank you very much, I have a list that's turning out to be a nice first order..
    What is the difference of twist, flake, plug, and the like, is it just the cut?

11. Rugbysh9

Rugbysh9 Active Member

Twist is like a rope of tobacco
    Plug is a brick
    Flake is plug cut into slices

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.