Noob Thanks

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Teufeldog, Nov 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Teufeldog

Teufeldog New Member

I stumbled onto this site after starting pipe smoking a little over a month ago. I find it to be an excellent stress reliever and the contemplative mood that I find myself in with a lit briar is like a vacation for the mind, an hour at a time. My thanks to you gentlemen for the knowledge that you have shared, it has greatly enhanced my experience. Now, I'd like to get some suggestions.

I started out with a Savinelli churchwarden and Frog Morton. I especially like this blend, I thought because of the Latakia in it, So I ordered a 50g tin of Three Oaks Syrian, and a 50g tin of Wilderness. I also got myself a Stanwell 63M Majestic and two cobs.

I find the 3 Oaks to be not as sweet, and to my pallet a bit harsher than FM, The Wilderness is better, but has a sharper quality than the FM(which I assume are the Orientals and Cyprian Lat).

So, on to my question:
    Is what I am chasing in the FM the sweetness of the Virginias? Can you recommend me as complex as FM that remains mild? I realize that my tastes will change as my experience grows and I may look back at this post as I puff on some pitchy english blend and laugh at my naivete. I was considering purchasing some Blackwoods Flake depending on how my Ebay pipe-bidding goes...
    Thanks again.
    P.S.
    I am currently smoking a 50/50 mixture of FM and 3 Oaks and I am enjoying myself thoroughly.

2. Shootinok

Shootinok Member

Welcome
    you've come to the right place. I too have learned so much here it has made my enjoyment of this hobby (vice) much much more than I thought it could.

Virginias are definitely where I spend most of my time enjoying; I do not like Latakia.
    I participated in the last box pass and got to try a great selection of samples. - you should really look that thread up - Great information.

Get yourself some Shortcut to Mushrooms from Just for Him. Only Blend I've ever tried with latakia that I liked (( in fact I'm still not convinced it has latakia )) Wonderful complex blend, full flavored but sweet and the tangy virginias really stand up

3. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

Frog Morton on the Town is one step more "serious" and then Peterson's "Old Dublin" is one step more "serious" than that, but less sweet.

Other rich sweet blends include but are not limited to: Dark Twist from Mac Baren, Legends from McClelland, Anniversary from McClelland, Virginia Woods from McClelland....

Actually I'll stop there. Grab some Virginia Woods and see what that does for you. It's "woodier" than froggy, less greasy, and has just a hint of some kind of topping. Yum!

4. grga

grga Member

Did you try other Frogs?
    Tray FMOTT and FMOTB, GREAT blends and a little bit sweeter than original Frog Original.

5. Teufeldog

Teufeldog New Member

I bought a tin of FMOTB, First in the Draw is the sour/sweet taste which is not bad. I have some Va Woods and Anniversary coming now so we'll see how it stacks up.

6. grga

grga Member

Please, write a short review of Anniversary, I wanna try it too.

7. Snake

Snake permanent ankle biter

Just to add to the TAD, you could also try
    Rattray's Red Rapparee (known around here
    as RRR). I'm not a big Lat/Orientals fan, but
    I really like RRR.

dp

8. Teufeldog

Teufeldog New Member

I was outbid on ebay for a Stanwell 185 that I was planning to use for the VA woods (all my briars are haunted) so I've been trying this in a cob that I saved as a test pipe. So far so good, I'll be on the lookout for your next largish bent pipe for sale, Sas. I'll post my experience with them as soon as I get a good grip on the flavors.

9. Teufeldog

Teufeldog New Member

I have gotten a few bowls of each of these tobaccos under my belt now. My thoughts:

Virginia Woods:
    MM Cob
    Charred and lit easily, one relight. First impression is of sweet and sour dried apricots. This flavor persists until about half bowl, at which point, a nice rich caramel flavor starts to develop. I thoroughly enjoyed the taste of this, but I started wanting more depth. In any case, I enjoyed the bowl to the bottom which was dry and cool.

McClelland Anniversary
    Smoked in a Stanwell 63M:
    Once it gets going, Holy Smokes, what a zen experience! Sas is right on the money, it is a more nuanced Frog Morton. I taste sweet almonds, some citrus, some woodsy quality which I can't quite pinpoint. I like the lighter more complex flavor. If Frog Morton is bourbon, then Anniversary is a good single malt.

I find that my tobacco purchases have run the spectrum of flavors in the original Frog. First I chased the Latakia in the order of 3 Oaks Syrian, and now I see the other half of that puzzle was the Virginias. The magic is in the first hard hit of sweet Virginia harmonized with, and rounded out by, the full smoky richness of the Latakia. I tell you though, the ABSOLUTE best bowl I have smoked yet was a 50/50 mixture of Anniversary and Va Woods.

Thanks for the advice gents, I really appreciate it.

10. user0003

user0003 Well-Known Member

:withstupid:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.