1. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Nooby question about brass screens...

Discussion in 'Need Pipe Smoking Advice? Ask an Old Fart!' started by davidmackv, Jul 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. davidmackv

davidmackv Active Member

What are they for? I just bought a new cob on the bay and it comes with 5 free brass screens, but I have no clue what they are for.

2. woody

woody Aloha! Admin

They are not used in tobacco pipe smoking. I'd throw them away.

3. user1975

user1975 Active Member

Yeah, what Woody says.

4. akohtz

akohtz Member

Don't buy cobs from people who include screens with them.

- Andrew

5. davidmackv

davidmackv Active Member

It was only 2.99 with free shipping, so even if it sucks nothing lost.

6. akohtz

akohtz Member

I would recommend buying directly from Missouri Meerschaum:

http://corncobpipe.com/

For only a few dollars more, you know you're getting a high quality cob from a reputable seller.

- Andrew

ArtisanArcher likes this.
  7. SmokeyJoe

SmokeyJoe Active Member

Screens R4 weed

8. davidmackv

davidmackv Active Member

I figured that out finally. I never was a drinker, smoker and I have never done any kind of drugs, so I am very naive to that kind of stuff. It is amazing that I even started smoking a pipe. From Woody's answer I figured that they must be used for some kind of recreational use. Live and learn.

9. t-bear

t-bear Well-Known Member

I think you mis-understand...pipe smoking is "recreational"...smoking that other stuff is "drug use"...LOL Just kidding here.
    Tobacco pipes don't need a screen. The tobacco strands are larger than marijuana, which is somewhat powdery, hence the need for the screen to keep the particles from being drawn into the mouth. A good cob (MM), or any other pipe for that matter, doesn't require a screen unless it's being used for that other stuff.
    I agree with the gang...a Missouri Meerschaum is a much better buy than the $2.00 Chinese knock-offs flooding the market today. They are made from a specially grown cob that is larger and denser than "normal" corn cobs. Well cared for, they can last a life-time! You can find them on-line at tobacco e-tailers or at any decent B&M (brick and mortar) shop. Look for the MM sticker on the bottom of the bowl.
    Welcome to the wonderful world of pipes and tobacco!

10. HCraven

HCraven Active Member

They're not even big enough to patch a hole in a window screen, either. Maybe you could replace the screen in your faucet aerator or something. If not, chuck 'em.

11. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

Actually......

:oops:

Well......

:confused:

Not that I've ever.....

:doh:

How can I put it....they say it's more expensive these days than it was way back when for a reason ;)

12. Kiowapipe

Kiowapipe Active Member

Nesta- It's OK, we know you want to move to Canada :)

13. Beale

Beale Active Member

Heck I used a screen many times? Oh yea that was on another type of pipe! :oops:

Ditto on the MM Cob pipes. You can not go wrong. Awesome pipe for the $$ involved, Beale.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.