Not Diggin The Latakia

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Shootinok, Mar 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shootinok

Shootinok Member

Tried Frog Morton on the town as I heard it was an easy entry into Latakia.
    Definitely a distinguishable taste. - I'm not diggin it.

If you love this stuff - Send me a p.m. and I'll send the can to ya.
    I'm sticking to Virginia's :D

2. Rugbysh9

Rugbysh9 Active Member

PM sent!

3. Shootinok

Shootinok Member

OK - gone
    Next time I'll pay attention to the trade rules. I don't need any more to try right now since I developed a pretty serious case of TAD early in my career as a pipe smoker.

Also, I have enjoyed this resource, and learned so much from it, that I still think I'm ahead of the game.

4. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

Hi and glad you got a trade - if something like that ever happens again, it might be worth experimenting by mixing other tobaccos with the one you're not struck on to see how it comes out - latakia's often improved with more virginia added - when I get back home I've some swweet virginia I want to try mixing with Carey's take on Sobranie Balkan which bears little resemblance to the original.

If you try this type of mixing though, it's best doing it in small quantities so's you don't produce even more of something you don't like, and it's definitely worth writing down what you've mixed as you go - I've done it making wines and produced a competition winner I could never duplicate exactly!

Best meantime,

Gerry

5. wataru

wataru Member

-gasp!-

I missed a FMOTT trade NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! The humanity!

6. jpberg

jpberg Moderator Moderator

Just so you know, not liking latakia really does make you a bad person. No kidding.

7. dubhdarra

dubhdarra Active Member

i'll take the fmott for your magic erasers :D

8. Marc

Marc Active Member

There are lots of people who aren't digging latakia and I'm one of them. It's stinky and smelly stuff, for sure!

9. Boomer-Z

Boomer-Z Member

Hello,

I found Latakia to be a little odd when I first tried it. Over repeated smokes I found I missed it if it wasn't there. SOrry you didn't like Frog on the Town. It is one of my favorite.

Z

10. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

Is there a 't' missing somewheres in your last statement? Wife repellant surely has a place in every homestead...YMMV. ;)

11. Rugbysh9

Rugbysh9 Active Member

Still need your addy for what we discussed in Newark. I will be glad to include some of this too.

12. BluesGuy

BluesGuy Member

Plan on buying pounds and pounds of latakia over the next few months as I find it the best tasting tobacco I've smoked so far.

13. stummel bum

stummel bum Member

The strange thing I've found with the latakia blends that I've tried, is that I'm not crazy about the ones that have only small amounts of the stuff. I think that's why I'm not crazy about SL. It ends up being better if there's enough latakia in there to give it a good strong presence. Could be I just love the stuff :punk:

14. BluesGuy

BluesGuy Member

I'm hoping that McClelland Bulk MC 2040 Cyprian Mixture has that good strong presence you speak of Stummel.

15. Dondi

Dondi Active Member

Rob - I can relate completely with you on SL... so here's a tip, I tried smoking SL in a heavily latakia-ghosted pipe, and it was a different experience for me :) you may want to try it.

16. jamie7

jamie7 Member

My first time out with the Lat I found it disgusting. It was a heavy Lat mixture. I put it away and tried some other recommendations with lighter Lat and it grew on me tremendously. Have you tried FMOTT, more orientals than Lat. Also, McBaren's Plumcake is delicious with just a little Latakia.

17. Brian

Brian Member

I tried Lat blends with too much Latakia the first couple of times. Like others, it grew on me when I later found some blends with more subdued Latakia -- Dunhill 965 and Ashton's Artisan's Blend got me hooked on the English/Balkan style.

I think I could go back to a more Lat-forward blend now and then to enjoy at after acquiring the taste.

18. Sweatsack

Sweatsack Member

I had the opposite reaction. I tried a heavy lat blend the first time and my reaction was: "I am sitting next to sappy burning pine logs with the smoke blowing straight into my face". I tried Squadron Leader just a week or two ago and I'm starting to get hooked. The other leaves in the mix really come out and play nicely with the lat IMO.

19. stummel bum

stummel bum Member

Must be why I like it. Reminds me of camping or standing out by the grill smoking a big hunk of meat :D

20. cst

cst Member

Wow, sappy pine logs? It reminded me of burning hair quenched in dog vomit. Well, FMAP did.

Don't feel bad about not liking latakia. I try it every year or so and just can't do it. In fact not that long ago, I gave away a can of Frog Morton Across the Pond. That stuff in my opinion, sucked butt. Call me crazy, but I prefer something that tastes good over something that tastes bad every day of the week.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.