Not Exactly a Waste of Money...

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by nesta, Jun 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

But I was expecting to taste some latakia.

With a name like "Rose of Latakia," and the boasts of the finest quality Syrian latakia around written on the tin, one would expect to taste some latakia.

Don't get me wrong, there's obviously a little bit in there, but this blend is quite light on the lat. I suppose I should have done my homework. I suppose I shouldn't have paid b&m prices. I suppose I should have chosen any number of other reputable English blends from the shop, because thats what I wanted.

Halfway through the bowl and it's a nice blend. I'm sure it will grow on me after my self righteous annoyance fades. After all, I love Davidoff's English Mixture which is nothing at all what I expected from the name. There's some nice Virginia flavor as the driving force behind this, and some nice oriental and a pinch of latakia. But to anyone contemplating this blend: read the reviews on TR first. Its certainly not bad tobacco, but if you're looking for a special latakia blend this isn't going to deliver.

2. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

Oops, I suppose this would count as a review. If it must be moved, I understand and apologize.

Btw, this isn't a fresh tin, either. It's been aged a bit if the number on the bottom of the tin is a date to judge the matter by: 150305. So a six year old tin....perhaps that's why even though it's a McClelland blend, it was perfectly dry right out of the can (it took the Frog Morton I smoked a few years back almost six months of being in an open tin to be this dry, and the Christmas Cheer I ordered even farther back -never- dried). As the smoke goes on it does get richer, a little more full bodied, and slightly less sweet. I could see this being a nice morning or afternoon smoke with some nice light bodied black tea. It's just not the heavy, rich, dark latakia mixture I was anticipating. I recommend trying it, but I also recommend McClelland pick a new name for it.

3. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

Syrian latakia doesn't have the same taste as Cyprian, so it's likely you did taste latakia - just the Syrian version. It's nowhere near as smoky and heavy tasting.

And that blend is the lightest of the 3 in that series. You might want to go up the ladder.

4. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

Are the other two full balkan and super balkan or whatever they're called? I detected some latakia, sure. Just very little. Its not at all bad, I was just hoping for a stronger flavor.

5. SmokeyJoe

SmokeyJoe Active Member

Most of the world's Syrian Latakia was wiped out in a warehouse fire in '04 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Latakia_(tobacco)
    C&D and GL Pease were left with no Syrian leaf. And from what I've been told, those that had stores of the Syrian are doling it out in very small quantities, hence the proliferation of Cyprian leaf.
    Since your tin is from '05 the blenders may have been a little light with their lat.
    Does anyone know what the future holds for Syrian Lat?

6. user0003

user0003 Well-Known Member

"what the future holds.....?"

No 'Future' in the current political climate of the world and that area in particular.

7. SmokeyJoe

SmokeyJoe Active Member

So does that mean that there won't be any Syrian leaf available in the next 5 years? Ten? A nice boon for Cypress, eh?

8. user0003

user0003 Well-Known Member

......maybe even never.

Currently it looks like never but who knows in ten years or so........

9. SmokeyJoe

SmokeyJoe Active Member

What a tragedy. I wonder when McC and MacB will run out of it. I suppose I should stock up on my faves

10. RTOdhner

RTOdhner Well-Known Member

I prefer the Syrian strain because of it's more subtle and delicate flavor. I hope the major players stocked up on it, and will have a goodly supply for the next few years until the political situation works itself out.

11. woodbutcher

woodbutcher Member

I had the same impression you did when I first tried Rose of Latakia. Good blend, but, hard to find the Lat flavor.
    If you haven't tried it already, get a tin of McC 3 Oaks Syrian. My first bowl of that gave me the taste I had been expecting with the RoL.
    Dan

12. Schmitz Bitz

Schmitz Bitz Member

MacBaren HH Vintage Syrian also gets honourable mention for containing enough of the leaf to set the taste-buds a'tinglin'. Like others have stated though, the Syrian offers a much subtler flavour profile then its Cypriot cousin; even though the HHVS reputedly contains 50% Latakia, it isn't going to make you think of smoking tires in a burning peat-bog, chased with a big glass of camphor oil on the side (funny, on their own, none of those flavours are particularly enticing, but combine them in a tobacco leaf, and wow!) like the heavy handed Cyprian Lat. blends.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.