Not so much what I'm smoking, but how I got it.

Discussion in 'The Smoking Lounge' started by AndyLowry, Dec 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AndyLowry

AndyLowry Member

I had a freakish event at work today. I was puttering along at the computer when a gent poked his head in the door to ask if I'd seen his USB charging cable anywhere. Turns out he's the night maintenance guy, and uses his phone to listen to music while he works and puts it on a charger sometimes. I had one of the sort he needed, so I gave it to him. He mentioned something about using micromesh to work on a coffee-stain in the porcelain sink, and I said that I'd like to get ahold of some to clean oxidation of off pipe stems. Then lightning struck and we talked pipes and tobaccos for ten minutes or so-- turns out he's a member here, though inactive lately, and a member of NASPC, and from Ohio (like me), and so on and so on. This, friends, happened in Wickenburg, Arizona, a town with a population of around 5000. I wouldn't want to have to calculate the odds, but I know they're very slim indeed.

He gave me a sample of some Villiger 1888 that he thought I'd like, and I do-- though I'm not sure which one it is, because I was too befuddled to ask. It's in coins, and has Virginia, Cavendish, and maybe a little Perique. It's a little reminiscent of Three Nuns.

TRAVIS, Smoking Gun, telltime and 5 others like this.
  2. CalPiper

CalPiper Member

Wow that is a rare occurence indeed! I actually think about that sometimes when I am out and about at B&M's or see people smoking and am like "Hmmmmm, I wonder if he is lurking on PSF?"

3. Gary

Gary Member

Yep, I think the same thing.

4. soundlzrd

soundlzrd Active Member

Thats awesome! Maybe he will become a good friend and you both can drive out for the show next year!

That is cocktail hour btw, smoking it now in my new IMP. Not sure how close to three nuns it is, but it is better than Club Blend, sorry SAS.

Smoking Gun and HCraven like this.
  5. AndyLowry

AndyLowry Member

Ahhh, thanks for solving that puzzle!

6. soundlzrd

soundlzrd Active Member

No problems! Can you solve mine? How does it compare with the original?

7. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

So you say Cocktail Hour is better than Club Blend...are they at all similar? Because I've only tried it once so far, but LOVED the Club Blend

8. soundlzrd

soundlzrd Active Member

Similar ingredient, however I am not sure the are direct competitors.

9. AndyLowry

AndyLowry Member

I remember Nuns as being a little more Perique-y and slightly fruity. Not completely dissimilar, though.

10. RS422

RS422 Member

Hey guys-It was me that ran into Andy today and it was Cocktail Hour that I turned him onto. Small world.

Smoking Gun likes this.
  11. neoclassical

neoclassical Member

Cool.:hbang:

Jesla likes this.
  12. AndyLowry

AndyLowry Member

And there he is! Good to see you around the ol' forum. :)

13. RS422

RS422 Member

Maybe Andy will start finding samples on his desk in the morning. I spilled a tin of snuff last night cleaning by his desk. I use his desk to put my pipes and tobacco on when I work.

telltime, Jesla and dwaugh like this.
  14. AndyLowry

AndyLowry Member

Say, that's a good idea. We could use the desk as a swap-mart. :) If you ever see snuff or pipe tobacco sitting on the edge of the desk closest to the outside door, it's intended to be yours and isn't something I accidentally left behind. :th1:

15. AndyLowry

AndyLowry Member

Freaked me right out. Running into a fellow piper happens as often as my dog reciting Shakespeare.

IrishRover likes this.
  16. user0003

user0003 Well-Known Member

:ngty:.......our number are growing.....and that's a good thing!..........:th1:

17. user0003

user0003 Well-Known Member

Tradition Lives!!!

18. HCraven

HCraven Active Member

What a great story. It's not often that you unknowingly run into a fellow pipe smoker, much less a member of PSF, in the real world. Nice to meet you, RS! Andy's a great guy and a credit to this hobby. Hope the two of you get to hang out and smoke a few bowls together now and again.

telltime likes this.
  19. cobbsmoker

cobbsmoker Active Member

How cool is this, two PSF members meeting in the middle of the dessert? :th1:

20. Capt

Capt Active Member

How cool. When I first joined in August, I found out Mington only lives about 1/2 mile from me! That was crazy.

HCraven and Smoking Gun like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.