1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Now heres something nice

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by ruffinogold, Jul 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

I like this . Randy Wiley is my fav. American pipemaker ... http://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/new/randy-wiley/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=66333

2. Snake

Snake permanent ankle biter

Really like the way the ferrule contrasts without clashing. Nice looking pipe!

3. Rider

Rider Member

wow, thats one beautiful pipe :bing:

4. WillH

WillH Active Member

Now that is kinda nice, IMO. Has plenty of style without being "in your face". Yes, it's nice. Unique yet subtle! It also looks like it would smoke well.

I'm not one for artisan pipes but that is a very nice pipe!

Wonder if Sasquatch is watching? :bing:

Will

5. Dondi

Dondi Active Member

Maybe it's just me, but I take the opposite view... if one is going to have a ferrule from a similar material, why not just have a longer shank instead and then prettify the shank?

Personally, I'd rather have a ferrule that markedly contrasts with the shank! :shrug:

6. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

WOW! What a nice Wiley! I really like Randy's work. That Florida Pipester can sure drill a hole can't he?!!

A Wiley was my first real true great briar. I just couldn't get enough of his pieces. If that's your new Wiley, CONGRATZ! Can't go wrong with a Wiley and that one sure is a looker (I bet it smokes better than she looks too).

:suicide:

Ed Puff!

7. BradNTX

BradNTX Well-Known Member

I'm with you Ruff. That is one fine looking pipe! :suicide:

My first pipe was a Wiley my wife bought me for Christmas in 2008. I got another last summer.

8. ruffinogold

I don't follow you dondi ... how is the material similar ... cause it's wood ? Ya got briar [ textured ] and what looks like splated maple or something . The colors are even diffrent . It's cool , to each his own , I just dont get where youre comming from

9. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

That's one of the beauties of pipe-dom. There is something for everyone, ladies included! Often times mo-nature doesn't give a section of briar much of a shank or it's too short, sounds like this can be applied to other things as well ehhhh? Moving right along, so a pipester has to come up with something that will serve as a shank or extend it. Contrast, no contrast, matching, etc. They all work well. I prefer non-ferruled pipes for no reason other than aesthetics but I do have a ferruled Wiley "semi" Churchwarden (shorter, ~2/3 standard CW length) with a nice large billiard bowl (Dunhill size 5+, not quite OD sizing though) and it's turned me towards accepting ferruled pipes. Saw it, bought it, smoked it, enjoyed it! Never say never! hmmmmmmmmmm........

:thumbsu:

Ed Puff!

10. Dondi

Dondi Active Member

good question, got me thinking where I came from too [​IMG]

at first I couldn't out into words why that pipe didn't appeal to me, then I figured out that yes, for me different textured or colored wood isn't enough. I prefer the contrast created by using a different material altogether like ivory or antler or bamboo or what have you...

11. ruffinogold

LOL ! I hear ya ! Some times I look at a pipe and I think ... "what the hell" but couldnt tell ya why I think it's lame .... I really dont like blowfish shapes for example ... I realize it's a great shape for showing off a killer cross grain or whatever and it takes skill no doubt ....but I wouldnt have one for sure and I sure as heck wouldnt go out in public with it hanging out my face .

12. BradNTX

BradNTX Well-Known Member

I don't like a large squashed tomato either.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.