Now Smoking

Discussion in 'The Smoking Lounge' started by user0003, Jun 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dwaugh

dwaugh Moderator Moderator

I don't recognize the tobacco or the pipe from your normal morning smoking report, are they new?

This messes up my system. Neither JP or anyone else knows, until now, that I have been using JP's morning smoke report to guide my financial decisions. I can't reveal how exactly it works, but I pick the market sector to invest in based on his tobacco choice, and his pipe choice indicates whether that sector will go up or down. For instance, 10 Russians in a Squatch, means: short stocks in the energy sector. If he posts before 5am it indicates that I should invest in pre-market futures. Well, it all worked well until the code suggested that I invest in Greek bonds.....:) -David

2. ol gto

ol gto Member

CB Gold in a MM egg

Lestrade and Motard like this.
  3. FlatbushPaul

FlatbushPaul Cellar is located in an undisclosed bunker

SG SL in my Davorin Freehand with Costa Rican Peabody black coffee on the way to work. It's a long ride but a deep bowl.

Paul

4. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

I'm guessing the futures market for Canadian timber is a lock, if only thanks to Berg's pipe lust and loose purse strings?

McClelland 2035 in a Barling. With the wind out here, I'm actually just assuming I'm smoking.

dwaugh likes this.
  5. kb7get

kb7get Member

SWR in the Ugly Cob with a cup of coffee on the side.

ol gto likes this.
  6. TedVig

TedVig total pipeflake

MacB Mixture modern in a Vauen Sir rusticated

7. Brian Damage

Brian Damage Member

1776 Tavern (got my sample in yesterday) in a Roma billiard with my morning coffee. This is some pretty good stuff. Jury is still out on how good. This is only my second bowl of it.

8. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

Dunhill Flake in the Johs bulldog

Lestrade likes this.
  9. TheKiltedOne

TheKiltedOne Active Member

A mixture of the leavings of Dunhill Flake, University Flake and some cherry and Vanilla in my MM Freehand while out on a walk to the shops earlier

10. ken davis

ken davis Member

SWR ina MM cobb on lunch break witha cup of coffee

11. troyn60

troyn60 Member

BBF in a Medico pot.

12. ol gto

ol gto Member

Lane 1-Q in a DG Savoy

Lestrade and ken davis like this.
  13. Dunlibi

Dunlibi Member

'Can't remember what it is as it's in an illy tin' in a falcon

14. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

Margate in my Savinelli Tevere prince. This blend is so good :)

Lestrade likes this.
  15. Mount Mandolin

Mount Mandolin Active Member

I really need to try that Margate! I love Esoterica, so I'm quite sure it's a very good weed.

I just smoked me a little bit of a special mixture I made: 3 parts Luxury Bullseye to 1 part Luxury Twist. 'Twas delicious. And earlier, for my breakfast smoke, I had me some Squadron Leader, da da daah! That stuff is so good. I just found some in bulk at a local tobacconist whose existence I was only marginally aware of until the other day, and the bulk SL was the only good thing about the experience. Here's why:

I heard they had Opus X cigars, which I love, but their Opus X's were nasty and poorly taken care of, unfortunately. What a shame to do that to such a great cigar! Their humidor has a big vent/hole in the wall that just spews mist out of it, and the damn humidor room is probably over 80 degrees inside! Unbelievably poor storage practices. I was about to buy an Opus X, I think it was a Corona size, and then I inspected it and saw the wrapper all gross and covered in that weird, whitish film type stuff, and actually already slightly cracking at one of the veins. It's in the shopping mall in town, so it's no wonder, and really, most of their customers are clueless young people buying crappy bulk aromatics. I actually fought the good fight and convinced one guy to buy some Squadron Leader to get him off those awful, PG-ridden aro's that the store had him smoking, so hopefully his eyes were opened! Nothing against aromatics at all, and I enjoy a couple of them, but they must be good aromatics, not that miserable, goopy stuff. For shame, for shame!

16. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

Margate is excellent. I prefer it to Penzance. That said, I don't think it's a more well crafted blend, it's just more suited to my tastes. It is a full English blend, so it's surprising that I enjoy it as much as I do because I generally prefer a little lighter in the latakia. But the latakia isn't overwhelming, and I can't get enough of good oriental leaf, and this is an English blend with no VA. Oriental and latakia only. Yet surprisingly well balanced, with a nice subdued sweetness and a nice medium bodied smoke without being a latakia dump.

Objectively, I do believe Penzance to be a better made blend. It's more complex, and genuinely a masterpiece. But just as Monet rendered dazzling masterpieces, his work is not for everyone even if it's very well done. I can appreciate Penzance for what it is, but I'm not all too often in the mood to actually smoke it. But Margate, while perhaps not necessarily quite as good a blend (only by a small degree, mind you) is done more to my personal preference. Good thing, too, as it is much easier to get on a regular basis than Penzance! Today I'm smoking from a sample I got, but I admit I did go to the B&M just an hour or two ago and pick up half a pound of it as a fuller bodied compliment to the half pound of And So To Bed which should be arriving any minute by UPS (along with some Night Train and Erinmore Flake :))

Yes, I've got it bad. But I need to cover my bases before I go off to school in the fall and can't afford more than a tin or so a month!

Preacher1611 and Rewster66 like this.
  17. Snake

Snake permanent ankle biter

SG GG in a dedicated Falcon. Snow
    flurries to accompany.

Mington likes this.
  18. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

I've moved on to MacBaren Club Blend in a Bjarne sitter. Another really nice blend!

I can't put my finger on whatever's going on in the flavor of this tobacco. I can't really even come close. But I like it. A lot. It's sweet, it's fresh, it's clean....it's just yummy.

19. Lestrade

Lestrade Active Member

Grousemoor Plug in a Jirsa Blowfish.

ol gto likes this.
  20. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

How are you liking it so far? :)

Lestrade likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.