1. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Now Smoking

Discussion in 'The Smoking Lounge' started by user0003, Jun 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FlatbushPaul

FlatbushPaul Cellar is in an undisclosed Bunker

I read somewhere recently , and I don't remember where, that the machines that they use to slice thier flakes are very old and that is why some of the flakes are very thick and some are sliced very thin. I have wondered why that happened also. I have some FVF that is sliced thinner than other batches of it. Same with St. James Flake and Navy Flake I would also think that there weren't too many tins around in the 1750's. Tobacco was most likely packed in some kind of waxed paper but I am guessing on that.

Paul

Mount Mandolin likes this.
  2. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

Smoking BBF in a Nachwalter pot as I contemplate the inner machinations of my mind.

Welp, that didn't take long.

Lestrade likes this.
  3. Darkly

Darkly Active Member

morning folks... Just woke up abit a go... so my usual.. H&H in my oldschool cob

Motard, Lestrade and ol gto like this.
  4. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

SWR / Jeantet Meerlined / coffee / kid wired / help

Lestrade and Kiowapipe like this.
  5. RS422

RS422 Member

Starting the morning with Tinder Box Special Blend #2 in a cob with hot black coffee.

6. Mount Mandolin

Mount Mandolin Active Member

I think that's likely a better suggestion, as I believe I've heard that too, and the flakes are certainly irregular. Not only are some thinner/thicker than others, but often the flakes are quite ragged and somewhat disfigured, as you no doubt know. FVF seems to not be quite as bad as the more Lakeland-y ones like 1792 and Bracken Flake. I am absolutely dying to try that St. James Flake, can't find it anywhere, and I've been looking feverishly.

And for my next trick: Skiff Mixture, in a Peterson System 303. I figured it might as well be Gawith, since we're on the topic. I like this Skiff Mixture myself, fairly light, but with a nice, unusual taste for an English. The Orientals are very sweet tasting on this one, and the Virginia's are nice as well.

7. Rewster66

Rewster66 Active Member

Shortcut To Mushrooms in a Grabow Sculptura straight billiard.

user2725 and Lestrade like this.
  8. Brian Damage

Brian Damage Member

Early Morning Pipe in my pirate churchwarden meer

9. ol gto

ol gto Member

1-Q in a DG Omega

Motard, Lestrade and Jeebs like this.
  10. Jeebs

Jeebs Active Member

G&H Dark Plug in a Jeebs straight Dublin

Lestrade, ol gto and Mount Mandolin like this.
  11. TheKiltedOne

TheKiltedOne Sales Account

University flake in my Meer

12. Mount Mandolin

Jeebs, I didn't know you made pipes, too! Man, you're really the tobacco master around here! I'd love to see some of your work sometime.

Lestrade, ol gto and Jeebs like this.
  13. Jeebs

Jeebs Active Member

Jeebs Pipes From Kits...Nut'in Fancy

Mount Mandolin and ol gto like this.
  14. Mount Mandolin

Hey, that's good stuff! I like 'em all!

And now, I'm getting out the Peterson System again, because I'm about to change the strings on my mandolin, and I need a nice, light, full bent clencher, so the System it is. Gonna stuff it full of Solani Silver Flake, a beautiful, subtle symphony of flavors for a symphonic task, I suppose. God how I hate changing strings. It's kind of like pulling teeth, only I have to do it myself, and I have to do it way more often!

Jeebs likes this.
  15. Jeebs

Jeebs Active Member

changing strings is something we all have to do at some point in time....and it's a good thing... because if not.. we would be out of tune.... and we sure do not want that...the alternative is insanity.

16. Lestrade

Lestrade Active Member

Boswell's Northwoods in the Baglan Lion.

17. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

Gotta love a floating bridge...:)

Five Bros. in a beat to :poop: cob.

18. Mount Mandolin

Ha! Yes, well... ah, I'll just leave it be, only to say that the confounded thing has eight strings on it, and it's pint sized compared to anything the majority of people play and/or change strings on, so that makes it that much more tedious. "Back in my day, sonny, we didn't have none of those fancy string-winders and electronic tuners and all that fiddle faddle, so you just be grateful, now, you hear?" :old:

No, really, I love playing the thing too much to let this get in the way. Although sometimes I have half an inclination to get them changed at the shop... :bag:

19. Rewster66

Rewster66 Active Member

Peterson's Sherlock Holmes in MM Diplomat. This stuff is not really bad, but it does not have anything much in the flavor department.:bing:

Lestrade likes this.
  20. Mount Mandolin

You know, I actually really like that stuff. It's a VaBur, I guess, and I think it's got a really nice, nuanced flavor to it. Out of all the Peterson tobaccos, it's probably my third favorite, behind Irish Flake and Old Dublin. I haven't had their full lineup yet, mind you, but I liked Sherlock in the first place, and I still like it now. As to why they gave it that name, now, that's anybody's guess. I remember when I was a total newcomer to the pipe world, though, thinking how I really liked that tobacco, which is really quite surprising when I think about it because I was smoking aromatics and English's primarily at the time.

jdto, TRAVIS and Rewster66 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.