1. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Now Smoking

Discussion in 'The Smoking Lounge' started by user0003, Jun 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

C&D Haunted Bookshop in a Pete Belgique, hot tea. Nice 12 min smoke......quickie. :)

:velho:
    Ed Puff!
    Cogito ergo puff

2. Barako

Barako Member

GLP Maltese Falcon in a Dunhill inner tube, BenRiach maderensis fumosus on the side.

3. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

...and now, for something completely different...

Carter Hall in 'ol Stankbutt(cob), Twining's Darjeeling tea on the side.

4. GlassSculptor

GlassSculptor Active Member

Escudo in a Caminetto Cherrywood.

5. justMike

justMike Member

Squadron Leader pn a Pete 221

6. justMike

justMike Member

Squadron Leader pn a Pete 221

7. Gondar

Gondar Member

Yesterday I tried some Mc Clelland Holiday spirit

Description on the tin: "mild, smooth blend of Burley, Virginia and Cavendish tobaccos is flavored with dark rum, pecan and cocoa"

First bowl – straight from the tin, cannonball fill.

Tin note: Reminds me of my favourite walnut chocolate bar, but much more intense. I could not at first detect any rum, but when I opened a bottle and sniffed I found it deeply entrenched in the cocoa.

Room note: It smells distinctly of a boiling pot of hot bitter cocoa milk, very pleasant.

Early taste: I found this to be one of the most intense flavoured tobaccos I have tried. It is creamy and mild, very much reminding of high quality chocolate. I love chocolate. I eat loads, I bake with it, make my own pralines, truffles. I even subscribe to a magazine entirely devoted to it but the first mouthfuls of this tobacco were one intense chocolate experience. It was bitter, high in cocoa content and with a slight sourness in the aftertaste, just like some premium cocoa. Last bowl in the same pipe was Mc Baren Vanilla cream less than 24 hours ago, but I could not detect the slightest ghost. The Holiday Spirit took over directly. In my limited experience I would say that the burley enhanced the richness adding a slight cellar note, darkening it a bit more.

Late taste: Still a noticeable taste of chocolate, not changing the higher notes at all, but somehow I think that the Virginias come forth much more, making the basic flavour lighter. It could have been caused by the fact that I got the pipe a little too hot for a short while, but it stayed like this for the rest of the bowl
    Looks

Burning: I took it directly from the tin and it seemed a little damp. I made a cannonball fill and it might have got a little to tight so it took me a few circles with the Zippo to make it burn. From then on it stayed lit for 75 % of the bowl without any tamper or relight. It was blowing snow into the bowl and I failed to notice how hot it got so it started to gurgle, needing to rest it a minute. Last part took a few more relights and I could not get the very last of the ember to turn into ash but I don’t really care after 60 minutes of smoking either so I did not try all that hard.

Today I tested some Celtic Talisman in the same pipe and I detected my first ghost. It was a sudden mouthful of the hot cocoa with rum, which I can say was the highlight of that bowl, which perhaps is one good reason it is called holiday spirit :cheers:

8. t-bear

t-bear Well-Known Member

Finishing up some Players Navy Cut in the Manx John Bull meerschaum and a Dr. Pepper...now for some lunch! This Bear'd hon-gree!

9. tsgourley

tsgourley Member

I'm currently 2 hours into a normal-sized bowl of Peterson's Perfect Plug, with a side of some Dr Pepper to keep the kick from knocking me out. Wow this is some stout stuff! I'm going to walk away from this pipe with more chest hairs than when I started.

10. Gondar

Gondar Member

SG Balkan flake in a Peterson Killarney XL without any filter inserted. It was a little hard to keep lit for the first 30 mins but after that it gave 60 more minutes of cool, slow latakia. It tastes almost salt IMO, but that may be just because it reminded me of smoked food, already in the tin note. Really nice bowl with rum and coke on the side, well chilled, in fact it froze stuck to the table at one occasion(-10C, 14F) but the sweet drink hit the spot and kept the pallet moist.

11. Bri2k

Bri2k Active Member

Enjoying some Eliot's Select (thanks, Don Ruffino!)in the $11 slim bbb, Yuengling lager on the side. TGIF!

12. yinyang

G&H Brown Flake in a Malaga Oomy...Camo XXXXX 12% 24ozer on the side.

13. Grammaton

Grammaton Member

Sunset Breeze, in a Savinelli.

14. GlassSculptor

GlassSculptor Active Member

Royal Yacht (aged overnight in my cupboard.... :groucho: ) in a Stanwell Ivarsson.

So far, I likes it...... :thumb:

15. user0003

user0003 Well-Known Member

2yr old SG FVF in a Pete 120, Twinings on the side and Lost on Hulu TV.

16. whitebriar

whitebriar Member

leavins' jar tobacco(mostly Burley) with a honey-water toppin', in an old Medico bent squat bulldog--the toppin' smoothed out a pretty harsh mix--

17. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

More DH Flake in a Tsuge 206 "estar", hot tea. This is a wonderful toby.....I cant't imagine how it'll improve but I guess with age it will. Looking forward to the comparisons.

:velho:
    Ed Puff!
    Cogito ergo puff

18. yinyang

Get outta my head...lalalalalala....

(My guess...less tart, a bit more sweet...a quicker transition to 'bakery bliss'???...my adjectives...)

Damn you, Ed, Damn you to....(jut kidding!)

Now smoking....drumroll....DF in a Pete System 314...another Camo XXXXX 12% alc. 24ozer on the side. Mmmm...DF...

19. Mington

Mington Well-Known Member

Frog Morton On The Town in 1 of my new estate pipes (the one with the spade on the stem). Along side a rum and prune juice cocktail. mmmmmmm

*A Grabow

20. Bri2k

Bri2k Active Member

I just finished up some Navy Cavendish in the Kapet. Trying to decide what's next...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.