Now Smoking

Discussion in 'The Smoking Lounge' started by user0003, Jun 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

WOW!

Got my new pipe from Iwan Ries in today - a Ben Wade Canadian from the Western line. It would retail at $89 at my local Tinderbox (at least my Western billiard did) but Iwan Ries was only charging 42 for them. This is rusticated instead of a sandblast, and a beautiful deep red, virtually black, stain.

Decided I needed a dedicated pipe for lat-blends, so I figured that I had nothing better on hand to break it in with than C&D's Star of the East. It's smoking like a champ already! I probably don't need to, but I'm doing the 1/3 bowls method while getting it broken in

2. velveteagle

velveteagle Member

Happy Camper here also nesta.. Got my vintage K&P Perterson's 312 Blasted in and it is clean and solid shape.. Packed some FVF in it and gave it a whirl.. Very happy with how this old boy smokes..

3. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

Wow, this is my second Ben Wade and I think I'm becoming a die hard fan. Smoked a third of a bowl of a 50% latakia blend all the way to the bottom to a fine, powdery ash with no dottle whatever, not a hint of bite, only a few relights (but it's slightly moist tobacco, very humid out, and a new pipe), and not even a hint of moisture or gurgle. Fantastic smoke, and my only regret is I didn't pack the bowl to the rim! My other Ben Wade smoked like a dream right off the bat, too. For under 50 bucks this has to be the best deal I've EVER had in terms of pipe smoking (well, apart from an awesome free pipe rack!)

Is there a better deal out there? I've heard great things about Petersons, but I have my doubts that if an immaculate new pipe can smoke this well and look this good for less than 50 bucks that a hundred dollar Pete is really worth the extra money.

Edit: technically it is my third Ben Wade - the first one admittedly had to be replaced because there was a big problem with the drilling. That said, if it weren't for the one faulty feature, it would have been my current favorite pipe. It was exchanged for the billiard, which I so adored that I didn't have to think very hard before ordering the Canadian.

4. velveteagle

velveteagle Member

Heading out soon with a bowl of ST. James Flake in a Sav Auto #5.. Hey nesta I have never had a Ben Wade pipe ( Yet ).. Under $50.00 sounds like a good deal to me.. The Vintage Peterson I just smoked for the first time is very old.. Smoked like a charm.. Plus I got it for under $50.00 with shipping included.. Love the Military stem on it also.. Shall have to look into a Ben Wade down the road.. Smokem Up..

5. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

IDK if this is true, but I recently read that the current incarnation of Ben Wade pipes is produced in the same factory as Dunhills...not that they're made 100% with the same care and everything, but it would -suggest- that the same skilled individuals are making them...

Ben Wade pipes can be a lot more expensive, but Iwan Ries has great prices on them!

6. soundlzrd

soundlzrd Active Member

PS LBF in a meer. Forgot how good that smoke really is.

nesta likes this.
  7. whitebriar

whitebriar Member

PA/JKP/SJW in a MM Country Gent

Kiowapipe likes this.
  8. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

SG X Blend in my Ben Wade Canadian.....

Okay, this is going to be mostly a latakia pipe, but I suppose some other tobaccos can go in there as well :puffy:
    This is a cavendish/oriental blend and I really like it. The poor ratings on TR are completely unwarranted as far as I am concerned.

9. GlassSculptor

GlassSculptor Active Member

Another bowl of Dunhill Flake in a tiny Pot.

:puffy:

10. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

OGS in a Hackert MM Freehand, a Blue Moon Belgian White on the side.

11. troyn60

troyn60 Member

Club Blend in a big-bowled basket. OGS later, to be sure.

12. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

A third of a bowl of this bulk 965 (suspected match) in my new Ben Wade Canadian....after this I gotta let this pipe rest a little, but it's still smoking okay!

13. Snake

Snake permanent ankle biter

Old Gowrie in a Falcon

14. chambers11283

chambers11283 Member

Lane's BCA in my Aldo Valeni sandblasted Rhodesian, sweet ice tea on the side and Dreamtheater - Misunderstood blasting!!!!!!:hbang:

15. Smoker99

Smoker99 Active Member

C&D Bayou Morning in a Lane era Charatan Bulldog.

16. OldSchool

OldSchool Member

The MM Diplomats and I are on a CH diet this morning, until I can smoke the last bits left in a 6 oz. jar. I plan to allocate the jar to another blend later today.

17. Snake

Embarcadero in the Tsuge.

18. DocB

DocB Active Member

Villiger Mid-Day in the Racing Green full bent

19. velveteagle

velveteagle Member

Two Friends English Chocolate in a 1/8 bent no name Prince.. Coffee

20. Snake

OGM in the Askwith with a side of