Now Smoking

Discussion in 'The Smoking Lounge' started by user0003, Jun 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. soundlzrd

soundlzrd Active Member

Swra in a Peterson Mark Twain.

2. Beale

Beale Active Member

PS LBF in my New Cob.

3. Beale

Beale Active Member

PSEO in my MMCG

4. Spartan

Spartan Member

Blue Note in my POS H.I.S. starter pipe! On the porch reading Hitchhiker's Triology. Be back in half an hour.
    -Spartan

5. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

Just put a match to my first ever bowl of Rattray's of any variety. Hal o' the Wynd, in my Ben Wade billiard, which lately has become my VA pipe. So far I'm enjoying it!

It's been a long day, so I decided to choose something with some alleged strength to it. I don't believe I'll be disappointed in the selection!

6. HCraven

HCraven Active Member

How about that? Just read your post as I fired up a little Rattray's myself: Jocks Mixture in (strangely) my Ben Wade pot. Great minds think alike, eh Nesta?

7. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

Nice choice! I'm loving the HOTW so far, I'm going to need to get some of this sometime. I'd always been quite interested in trying some Rattray's, but the large tins and accordingly high cost had kept me from trying any of their stuff for a while, just like with W.O. Larsen. Next time I order some tobacco, Im thinking I might get some of this HOTW and maybe a can of Accountant's Mixture as well.

8. Wicklow

Wicklow Member

McClelland Dark Star in my Jirsa bulldog.

9. Kiowapipe

Kiowapipe Active Member

Luxury Twist Flake in an English billiard.

10. troyn60

troyn60 Member

OGS in a cob. I think I have a skunky tin.

11. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

Skunky, huh? You sure you got tobacco in that pipe? :whis:

12. troyn60

troyn60 Member

I guess I should have thought about that... but it really doesn't taste very good. I love this stuff, and I'm on a new tin of it. Maybe I've just been smoking too many VA's lately and need to clean up my palette.

13. HCraven

HCraven Active Member

I know what you mean about tin size. 100g is a lot to commit to on a trial basis.

Are you getting any noticeable Perique taste in the HOTW? Sometimes I do and sometimes I don't. I've heard that K&K adds Perique to try and replicate the original flavor and strength, but it still purports to be a straight Virginia. :msty:

14. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

To be honest, I've tried a number of blends with Perique where I get some spice building through the bowl and I like it, but most of the time I can't pinpoint the flavor. According to TR, the new blender (that German one with the K's) now uses Kentucky dark fired and Perique in it, so it may well be there. To me the flavor was different from most VAs I'm used to, so I couldn't tell you one way or another my opinion, but I liked it.

It's a two-bowls-in-a-row kind of night, so I just lit up some Ferndown Yellow & Brown in my Savinelli Tevere. First tobacco this has seen other than Presby, and I like it. I love this tobacco - primarily sweet, rich, medium-bodied VA with just enough Oriental for a little deeper, mellower, more leathery flavor. Hope to get a tin of this in the outgoing mail on Tuesday. It's got little enough Oriental in it that you could smoke it in a VA pipe without worrying that it will ghost negatively, but enough in it you could also smoke it in a pipe dedicated to Oriental blends. Latakia pipes may prevent you from getting the right flavor from this blend, but certainly would not at all ruin it.

15. chambers11283

chambers11283 Member

Having some Dunhill Flake in a MM American Patriot cob,(and this stuff is GREAT!!) with some sweet iced tea on the side.

16. Snake

Snake permanent ankle biter

Back online. SG GG in a Falcon,
    and catching up on posts.

17. jpberg

jpberg Moderator Moderator

Good Morning,

Old Gowrie in a Radice TB.

18. Kiowapipe

Kiowapipe Active Member

GAF... Jeez, now you guys have me doing it... Dunhill Flake in a prince :)
    This stuff really is hard to beat for a straight-up VA.

19. Beale

Beale Active Member

LTF in my Diplomat

FMATP in my new Cob.

20. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

Sunday Picnic in a Nachwalter pot. Sweet tea and the heat tab in the sky accompanying me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.