Now Smoking

Discussion in 'The Smoking Lounge' started by user0003, Jun 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gary

Gary Member

Ah, bite me....And I say that with the utmost respect.

2. user0003

user0003 Well-Known Member

Yes, Do tell.........

3. troyn60

troyn60 Member

At Elliston Place Smoke Shop in Nashville... they have BBF and FVF both in tins and bulk. They also have SL and Firedance.

4. Snake

Snake permanent ankle biter

Well, I can only order it from ff-pipes in
    Denmark. Don't know if I want to pay
    the 40+ bucks for shipping though. :confused:

5. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

Next to last bowl of Erinmore Flake (by now pretty darn dry, but still smoking great even if it breaks up like crackers) from this tin. Just got a new tin delivered today, but sadly I have so many tins compared to jars that I am forced to save it for a good bit later. I want to work through almost all of my open tins before I start opening new ones. This will go with my aged Kingfisher, my Sam's Flake, 1792, unopened Squadron Leader and Ferndown Yellow & Brown. I have only very small and very large jars...I need to get a case of jars of a reasonable size for a tin of ribbon cut tobacco so I can have less to worry about. But my jars mostly get filled with bulk and I periodically rehydrate tins as needed. Doesn't work so great for rectangular tins, though.

6. Lestrade

Lestrade Active Member

Bob's Square Cut in a Dr.G Royal Duke Bulldog.​

7. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

Good evening pipers!

Penzance in a GBD prince, then

Dan Limerick in a PSF POTY, and now is

C&D Night Train in a Pete blasted Aran A-1

Ed
    Puff

8. Jussto

Jussto Active Member

Just finished a bowl of MacB Latakia Blend in a Sav Qandale, boy is that some good stuff!
    Now drying some Penzance for my next bowl.

ruffinogold likes this.
  9. Lestrade

Lestrade Active Member

Ending the day with G&H Louisiana Flake.

10. Snake

Snake permanent ankle biter

Amphora Full Aroma (an aro, I know :oops:)
    in a Falcon billiard.

11. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

HV( so much for putting it up) in a Baki large Lovat. A Shock Top Belgian White, or two, on the side. Actually a pretty good pairing, I'd say.

12. HCraven

HCraven Active Member

How does Shock Top compare to Blue Moon, Kyle? I've been a little skeptical of the macro/micro beers, but I admit, I tried Blue Moon and it isn't too bad.

13. Nate

Nate Member

Erinmore Balkan in a Blatter canted billiard.

14. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

DH DNR in a S.Quatch 2010 smooth Xmas plateau bash mmmmmmmmmm!

Ed
    Puff

15. HCraven

HCraven Active Member

Oh, got samples of C&D's Crooner and Trinidad from TxPipesmoker in the mail today, and I'm trying out some of the Crooner in the POY. I understand that these blends incorporate deer tongue. They both have a great pouch note, and there is a kind of buttery flavor underlying what, in some ways, reminds me of cigar leaf in this one, though I don't believe there to be any in the mix, mainly Burley, I suspect. It's got a good strong, smoky flavor up front, but I am trying to sip this lightly to pick up on the subtleties underneath.

Thanks, John!

16. Rewster66

Rewster66 Active Member

Eight year old Orlik Dark Kentucky in a Mastro De Paja. This is one of my top 3 favorite blends of all time.:)

Sad thing is, I only have about 1 more bowl left.:(

17. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

I haven't enough of either to make a good call here, Herb. Both I would say are favorable, and that's it for now. I'm more a porter/stout kinda guy...these 'fruity-herby' beers are just a change of pace.

Now drinking ;) a Steel Reserve 211 lager... another guilty fave of mine. Freezing my nuggets off with this HV/Baki combo...damn! What a big ol' pipe....

18. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

Herb, Blue Moon is okay, but I'd avoid Shock Top. It's not terrible, but not a good value if I recall. About as expensive as some much better beers. If it's all that's available, it might be a better choice than Budweiser. Honestly, though, Blue Moon is pretty decent, even if genuine Belgian witbiers are usually better.

I'm smoking a bowl of Old Joe Krantz. I've missed this stuff in it's short absence from my rotation!

19. HCraven

HCraven Active Member

I agree, true Belgian witbiers are very good, but Blue Moon is accessible enough to maybe piqué the interest of a more inexperienced beer drinker and make them try the real thing. Pretty quaffable, too.

Starting to get the legendary C&D nic kick with this Crooner. I am really getting a buttery/salty/nutty flavor from the Burley now that I've got the burn down to a simmer, though from what I've read on TR in the last few minutes, I thought I should be picking up on more of a minty taste from the deer tongue. Maybe a little, but not as much as I would think. Anyway, it's good stuff. This is supposed to be based on one of Bing Crosby's favorite blends.

20. Cortez

Cortez Member

I can't keep the little nuggets of Crooner burning. Got any packing tricks?

Haunted Bookshop in a Ser Jacopo hawkbill.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.