Now this is the half and half that i remember

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by RTOdhner, Oct 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RTOdhner

RTOdhner Well-Known Member

A while back I bought a package of Half and Half from a "tobacco shop" here in Cleburne, and it tasted like a dog rocket. Not to be deterred, I bought some at my local grocery store and was greeted with the same thing. Discouraged, I swore off Half and Half. But I got to thinking about it, and I just could not see how such a venerable old classic could have so horrifically declined.

So, over lunch today I went to the tobacco shop that is under "new" managment (she's been there for about eight months now) and bought a package. Bingo! As soon as I got a nose-full I knew that it was still a damn nice smoke and this was the pleasant Half and Half that I remembered. I smoked a bowl, and it had that wondefully mellow quality that I remembered. The only progblem is that my office pipe is a little Dr. G. Grand Duke (an Apple), and it really didn't allow me to get the full enjoyment. I'm gonna have to bring my Dr. G Pots from the house tomorrow.

I'm gonna have to cellar a tub or two.

Mark w4mms likes this.
  2. BradNTX

BradNTX Well-Known Member

Do you think the Cleburne & grocery H&H was old? Was the packaging the same? Curious...

3. RTOdhner

I don't know if I could tell the difference in the packaging, but it seemed the same. There is no telling how old the previous packages were, though. This time around the pouch (not the boxes, but the pouches inside) seem pretty flimsy compared to the pouches of old. I don't remember much about the pouches on the two bad ones, but they may have been just as flimsy and it may be that they just don't keep as long as they used to - or maybe Pinkerton had a bad production run or two. I dunno, but this time around I got a winner - even if she did charge me $5.99 a pouch, which is a good $1.50 higher than anywhere else around here.

I'm hoping the Jay over at the Smoke Shack (Burleson) will start ordering more OTC's. A couple of weeks ago I gave him a list of brands I was hoping he could order, so I'll see what he comes up with. Maybe I'll get a chance to swing by there tonight.

4. BradNTX

BradNTX Well-Known Member

Wish I could stop in while I'm in the metroplex... :(

5. ATXPipe

ATXPipe Member

I had a couple pouches of H&H from WVSmokeshop, and I found it to be a fantastic smoke with a really unique flavor. Thanks for the reminder, I'd intended to purchase a tub but got distracted.

6. DGErwin11

DGErwin11 Moderator Moderator

I find the tubs to have better baccy than pouches. Both H&H and CH, my 2 mainstays.

7. Mington

Mington Well-Known Member

Still not getting EVER to try H&H again.:beyes:

8. RTOdhner

Just smoked some more in my Dr. G Berwyck Pot. It's got a decent sized bowl, and the H&H was just wonderful. Ah, it's good to be back...

9. DGErwin11

Now I don't feel like The Lone Ranger.

Mington likes this.
  10. colorduke

colorduke Active Member

H/H is just as good today as it was yesterday.

11. Spam

Spam Member

Could someone confirm for me that Half and Half is a Swedish Match product? I think I've found it at a UK etailer - along with Captain Black and Walnut - and it's listed under the Swedish Match section (the others, obviously, are not). I just want to make sure I've got the right product before I place an order.

12. DGErwin11

From Business Week: Pinkerton Tobacco Company operates as a subsidiary of Swedish Match North America Inc. Pinkerton makes Half & Half.

Spam likes this.
  13. Spam

Spam Member

That's great, thank you!

14. DGErwin11

Glad to be able to help

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.