Observations On Organizing The Cellar

Discussion in 'The Smoking Lounge' started by Morse, Jan 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Morse

Morse Active Member

I spent the better part of this weekend organizing my tobacco cellar - much to the quiet amusement of my loving family, (cats included). What this consisted of primarily, was transferring to mason jars the tins I have accumulated over the past couple of years, and creating a spreadsheet into which each jar was recorded, along with its weight etc. This exercise was driven largely by a number of posts here on PSF about the possibility of seals on tins losing their integrity as time goes on which leads to observation number one:
    Seals on tins: do seem to lose some of their integrity over time. As mentioned elsewhere, this is particularly true of the rectangular tins from makers such as Samuel Gawith, G&H etc. All of the seals I opened were still intact to the extent that they still had to be popped open with a screwdriver. In no case was the tobacco dried to the point of out being too dry to smoke but it was, without exception, drier than I have seen when the tobaccos are purchased in bulk. I have also convinced myself that the tobacco was drier than I recall when opening a fresh tin of FVF when the tins first arrived. The circular tins from the likes of Peterson, Dan and Ashton seemed to be somewhat less susceptible to this but it still seemed to me that for long term storage - past 18 months or so - mason jars are definitely the way to go. I resisted this notion until now because I liked how the tins looked but I am now an enthusiastic supporter of the "move to jars immediately" school of tobacco storage. Tins that are completely sealed from the likes of GL Pease and McClelland are, in my opinion, fine for almost indefinite storage. I base this on the one tin of this sort I opened, a tin of Bagpipers Dream from Rattrays. That and the fact that this method of packaging really seems more like canning to me.

Aquisitiveness: Now I will be the first to admit that I do not need much encouragement to get extremely ................"enthusiastic" about new interests. But even I must admit to some alarm as the spreadsheet into which I was dutifully recording each jar grew ever larger and eventually exceeded 200 rows. I consoled myself with the thought that some of those jars were the smallest available but when I added up the total number of ounces, divided by 16 and realized the total number of pounds was somewhat in excess of thirty it gave me pause. Now granted some of those pounds were cheap bulks like the 7 Seas line from MacBaren, and the old standbys from Lane (1Q, BCA, RLP-6 etc) but 30lbs is still 30lbs. Given my current smoking rate of a few bowls a week it may be the case that I have about as much tobacco as I can conceivably use for the foreseeable future - egads! Now I know this group well enough to know that suggestions for the obvious solution to "smoke more" will soon be forthcoming, and for that I heartily thank you.

Conclusions: This was an extremely useful exercise for me. Firstly I feel some relief at getting all those tins moved to a method of storage that will stand the test of time. Secondly, taking stock of what tobacco I already have on hand made clear that I can "stop the madness" as it were. I can now take time to work through the whole slew of blends I have yet to try rather than focus on what I might have missed on that last TAD order.

I know that this time of year lends itself to the creation and subsequent abandonment of all sorts of bright ideas with regard to self-discipline, austerity etc and so perhaps this post will provide some amusement when I next post in the "latest pipe smoking acquisition" thread but until then, or until this time next year, whichever comes first, I am resolved to take a more measured approach to my pipe related acquisitions this year.

Happy Smoking PSF!

Oh and one last observation - having spent the past two days inhaling the aroma of numerous belnds, tobacco smells great, there is no getting away from it!

HazyDat620, ravnhaus, krusty and 7 others like this.
  2. phinz

phinz Active Member

I don't even catalog my jars. I don't want to know. I *do* catalog my tins.

Morse likes this.
  3. gunslinger84

gunslinger84 Member

Lol I just finished cataloging all my tins and jars. I even listed all my samples that I have accumulated over the past couple months. I just put everything to paper and will eventually get around to the computer spreadsheet. I was also in the process of logging all of my tins to tobacco cellar, was going smoothly until I got to my hearth and home tins. I cannot find them listed. Are they there or am I going to have to add them to my list myself?

Oh and I only came up to 5lbs so I got a long ways to go to catch up with several of you.

Gunslinger,

Morse likes this.
  4. Morse

Morse Active Member

I made a really simple excel sheet so I had enter it all but I just did the basics

5. phinz

phinz Active Member

Hearth and Home are listed under Russ Oullette. If you click my sig you'll see my cellar.

gunslinger84 likes this.
  6. gunslinger84

gunslinger84 Member

I found a few, but none of the marquee series were showing up for me. Maybe it's cause Iam using a phone.

Gunslinger,

7. Morse

Morse Active Member

I did and I feel better knowing its not just me.

phinz likes this.
  8. phinz

phinz Active Member

You may have to add them yourself at this point.

9. jpberg

jpberg Moderator Moderator

Congratulations Morse, you're officially a tobacco nerd.

Morse and Stonewall like this.
  10. buistd

buistd Sales Account

Smoke more.

PipeWife and Morse like this.
  11. Stonewall

Stonewall Active Member

This prompted me to go to Tobaccocellar.com and update my stats. :puffy:

Morse likes this.
  12. Smokey Tom

Smokey Tom Active Member

This was going to be the obligatory "smoke more" reply, but I see buistd beat me to it.

PipeWife and Morse like this.
  13. PipeWife

PipeWife Active Member

We'll need to get up way too early to beat the Brits to it.

Hey Morse, sounds like you need to both smoke more ... and buy more. Tobacco prices have only gone one direction in our lifetimes.

Morse likes this.
  14. StubrnDutchman

StubrnDutchman Member

At least you've got a good start and now know where you stand. Jar up another fifteen or twenty pounds and we will be even. :D

gunslinger84 and Morse like this.
  15. Morse

Morse Active Member

That is one of my favorite rationales - don't think I won't be trotting it out when next I need it. My plan is to selectively focus now on those things that will age really well like good Vas. By the time I get through the current stash they will have aged for a good long time ;).

16. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

Aquisitiveness
    [ Acquisitiveness] .... I had to look that word up ! :beck:
    30 lbs might last your entire life depending on how old you are and or how much you smoke . Thats a cool place to be .... think about it , you could stop now ... youre done , if you wanted to be :th1:

Morse likes this.
  17. Morse

Morse Active Member

And there Sir you have my dilemma ;)

18. PipeWife

PipeWife Active Member

Morse, you do realize he's trying to get you to be less competition for his favorite blends ... right?

19. Morse

Morse Active Member

Lol and there I was buying it too

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.