1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Odd coloring on a Fikri Baki - is this normal?

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by xmacro, Sep 17, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xmacro

xmacro Member

Really odd coloring on two parts of the bowl; just wondering if this is normal for a meerschaum or not? I've been smoking this pipe for the past month, so it's got maybe 40-60 bowls into it, and I've never seen this kind of coloring on a meerschaum before; usually they start coloring at the shank and move towards the bowl from there

First, the VERY brown coloring on the bottom; I don't hold the bowl here, so it's not from the hands:

[​IMG]

Second, the black spot; this is a close-up of the same pic, there's a black spot at the bottom of the bowl where the claw connects:

[​IMG]

2. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

A meerschaum coloring due to being smoked is normal.

The pattern being anything but at least somewhat random is not.

However, usually the pipe shank is the first to color. It's the coolest part of the pipe and the wax isn't as likely to melt. The wax is, of course, the conduit for the coloration.

So the coloration you're enjoying is pretty normal. If it colored differently, that would be normal, too! The only thing you can really count on is that a meerschaum will color, but I have an IMP that I've owned for over 3 years that still hasn't shown the slightest inclination to change from pearly white.

So I guess anything goes when it comes to coloration of a meerschaum pipe! ;)

Jussto and Albert like this.
  3. Rewster66

Rewster66 Active Member

That is awful. You should fix that crack in the concrete.

Nice coloration you got going there. :)

4. phinz

phinz Active Member

That's horrible coloring. Totally abnormal. Send it to me. I'll fix it.

5. t-bear

t-bear Well-Known Member

Just curious, but is that draft double drilled? What I mean is, was it drilled part way from the shank and drilled to connect through the bowl? I've seen this done with some Yaniks...if there is an over-drill from the bowl, you might have a moisture trap there that's holding juice and tars, causing the extreme coloring.

jpberg likes this.
  6. xmacro

xmacro Member

Hmm, that might be the problem; I've no idea how it was drilled, but that does make a lot of sense.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.