1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

odd discovery while pipe shopping

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by Dutchking22, Feb 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dutchking22

Dutchking22 Member

I decided to get a new pipe and while shopping ofr one, I seperated the stem from the shank and discovered there was a cone with a ball on the end of the stem. What is that for? Which I could remember the brand of pipe that had it.

2. jhe888

jhe888 Member

That is called a stinger, and it is meant to cool the smoke and dry it. Kaywoodies had them. I do not know if other brands used the gadget.

Many think they are largely useless. Some think they are mostly harmless. Some, probably fewer, think they actually work. Some don't like them at all.

I have no opinion, having no pipes with one.

3. sarge564

sarge564 Member

I have two Whitehall pipes with them. I don't mind them. Take em or leave em.

4. ZuluSafari

ZuluSafari Member

My Savinelli Antique Shell #623 has one. It doesn't hurt anything, change the flavor, or really help much. It does tend to collect moisture, which begins to gurgle, which it typically doesn't do if the pipe is smoked without it.

5. Bri2k

Bri2k Active Member

Kaywoodies, Brewsters and some older Grabows have the type of stinger you describe. If your pipe has a club (like on a playing card) on the stem, then it's a Kaywoodie. I leave the stingers alone in my Kaywoodies as they seem to do no harm. I've heard they smoke well without them too.

6. chambers11283

chambers11283 Member

I have 2 Kaywoodie's that have the stinger and i have no problem with them at all, it may be strange at first but after a while when you smoke that pipe it will be like 2nd nature.

7. Dutchking22

Dutchking22 Member

decided not to buy the afroementioned pipe, but thanks just the same

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.