1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Odd Tsuge metal widget--filter?

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by LawMonkey, May 17, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LawMonkey

LawMonkey Member

So, as mentioned elsewhere, last night had me putting my new Tsuge bent Dublin to the test. While smoking it, I thought I heard a hint of a gurgle, so I tried to slip a pipe cleaner down. Only made it about halfway--right about to the start of the shank, give or take a cm. Odd and annoying, but whatever. I continued to earnestly puff away.

A while later, I was done and the pipe was cool, so I pulled the stem off and what did I find but this odd metal... thingy. On the side inserted in the stem, it was a smooth cylinder with a deep notch in the middle; on the side that extended into the shank, it had about three "ripples" going round the circumference. (I took a rather lousy picture of it this morning, and will try to post at some point.) Anyway, I popped it out, cleaned the pipe, and had a curious dry puff on it. Much more open draw, as you would expect for not having an obstruction in the airway.

Does anyone know what this thing is? I'd far prefer to ditch it and smoke the pipe as God intended, if that's at all possible. A restricted draw means I pack looser means I smoke hotter and waste more matches.

2. YOJiMBO20

YOJiMBO20 Member

Sounds like a stinger.

I don't have any experience with Tsuges, though, so I may be wrong.

3. LawMonkey

LawMonkey Member

Yeah--I was just looking at (and, um, buying) a Mr. Brog pipe over on eBay that has the same kinda thing.

4. Iain

Iain Active Member

Sounds like a stinger to me too. As it's removable try smoking a bowl without it, if you prefer it that way then leave it out.

Quite a few of my pipes have stingers, some I leave in, others I keep safe in a little tin so I can put them back if I ever decide to sell the pipe.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.