Ode to OGS

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by RTOdhner, Jun 22, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RTOdhner

RTOdhner Well-Known Member

I've been on quite a flake spree, and I've probably tried at least 12 or so different flake blends. OGS was my first foray into flake, and it was awesome. Then I tried others, and really liked them - many of which I thought were much better blends than the OGS.

OGS is a very simple flake, and regardless of what the review on T/R indicates I get no perique - just a pleasant blend of Virginia and Burley tobacco. It also has a wonderful lightly sweet flavor of some sort that compliments the Virginia and Burley base , and in this sense I think it's typical Danish blend that just happens to be in flake form. And while it is just a simple flake with no apparent umph or wow factor, it is the flake that I keep reaching for... again, and again, and again.

Ask me what I think is the best blend in any particular genre, and I would not be able to give you a complete answer because "best" is, at least for me, a subjective concept. Best in what sense? Now if you ask me what my favorite is, then this takes the discussion to a whole 'nother level becase that will be the blend that consistently brings me the most enjoyment. My favorite is always going to be the one that I enjoy the most when I want to do nothing more than sit back enjoy a bowl of tobacco with no deep thought required.

In this case, my favorite flake has got to be OGS. It has a wonderful VaBur base with a very pleasant topping of some sort, but this topping is very sublte and it really makes the Virginia and Burley base shine. Nothing fancy here, and no experience akin to nekked bungee jumping - just a solid and infinitely enjoyable blend. (YMMV).

PipeSimmo, Wicklow and Stonewall like this.
  2. Capt

Capt Active Member

I don't like it. You can have mine.

RTOdhner likes this.
  3. ruralhipster

ruralhipster Member

A good "all-arounder" at a very reasonable price. I keep a couple 100gr tins on the shelf for long term cellaring but do like the portability of the 50 gram tins better so I have to buy a couple of those a year.

RTOdhner likes this.
  4. Burner

Burner Member

PipeSimmo and RTOdhner like this.
  5. RTOdhner

RTOdhner Well-Known Member

Great article. Like OGS as I do, I'm still hoisting the BS flag on the Perique. Perique, even in the smallest amount puts a peppery sensation in my nose. Even PS LTF does this. OGS does not. If it is "Perique," it certainly isn't the St. James Parish variety. I might go for the Green River Burley variety, and if so then it took on much more of the Burley quality than the Perique.

6. jpberg

jpberg Moderator Moderator

I don't like OGS. I like your thoughts on it though.

Mister Moo, Capt and RTOdhner like this.
  7. Nate

Nate Member

I like it. I have 5 tins in the cellar. It is really good when it's aged.

RTOdhner likes this.
  8. cobbsmoker

cobbsmoker Active Member

I don't like OGS either, but I'm glad you do! :)

RTOdhner likes this.
  9. Stonewall

Stonewall Active Member

Like we used to sing in the sawdust pits, I like, I love it, I want more of it. It's a good smoke. Simple. Nice citrus notes too. I'll take as much as I can get, thank you very much!:puffy:

RTOdhner likes this.
  10. Tate

Tate Member

Smoking this now. Got a sample in a FNG/FOG trade with Tony. I feel like we've only just met, me and OGS, yet... I have a feeling this is going to be a long and beautiful friendship.

PipeSimmo likes this.
  11. PipeSimmo

PipeSimmo Active Member

OGS was my first ever tried flake as well. I like it and I like your thoughts on it. It's light and sparkling in taste and maybe the citrus/lemon fruityness in has, is in fact a small amount of Perique, although I also get no peppery sensations in my nose, like other Perique blends do.

12. Linus

Linus Member

I really liked OGS for a while, but, then i got bold and tried a tin of Vi/Per (81/19%)

Now OGS just does'nt talk much to me anymore, but another houseblend at FF-pipes with 2% perique and some black cavendise still does, those teo blends cover most of my smokes now :)

13. Slow Tri

Slow Tri Is it Friday yet?

I'll take his.....I love it!!

14. Mister Moo

Mister Moo Normal Cow Moderator

If you like OGS that much flakes only get better and better.

RTOdhner likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.