1. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

OGS dry flake still gurgles

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Trippwire, Nov 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Trippwire

Trippwire Member

I dried out a flake to the point it was bone dry and crumbled when I broke it up, but when I smoked it it still gurgled. I'm using a peterson B10. I don't get it, I don't think I was smoking too fast. Could it just be a gurgly pipe? It tasted great dry (probably better than moist) and the pipe seems to be well broken in, 8 months of semi daily smoking, until now I blamed the gurgle on moist tobacco. Anybody have any idea whats going on?

Also if you want dry tobacco, I have found the air conditioner in my car sucks the moisture out. 8 hours ago this flake was moist as, well, a very moist flake. I could have rubbed it to dust.

2. cigarsarge

cigarsarge Active Member

Sounds like you might need to not get so much saliva in the stem...

3. Smoker99

Smoker99 Active Member

OGS is cased in a sweetener, which the moisture of combustion will revive. It may be that, it may be you are packing too tightly, puffing too rapidly, or a poorly drilled pipe. It takes experimentation to narrow down the cause. I never dry anything more than an hour, and it is just fine. If you are drying for eight hours, something in the tobacco is inhibiting moisture loss, most probably PG.

4. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

Many factors come into play re: gurgles.

Pipe dry n rested?

Relative humidity, high?

Dryness of the leaf

Smoking cadence

Pipe geometry/drilling

Pipe history (gurgler from the get go)

Pipe broken-in?

Temperature of the smoking environment

Temperature of the pipe

And I'm sure there are a few other factors. Consistancy is the operative word. Has this pipe smoked OGS well, or very well in the past?

Ed
    Puff

Stonewall, Stoked and Trippwire like this.
  5. AndyLowry

AndyLowry Member

Less than ten percent of my pipes always smoke dry. I don't see occasional gurgles as a big deal unless they happen with every other puff, the way a certain Dunhill and a certain Kaywoodie do.

6. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

Shoot, even some meerschaums gurgle on occasion! It's why God invented the pipe cleaner. You don't even have to swab it - just stick it into the bit all the way to the bowl and pull it right out. Gurgle history.

7. AndyLowry

AndyLowry Member

I always wondered who invented that.
    There's always the wrist-flick method, too, but try not to aim at a white wall.

8. Snake

Snake permanent ankle biter

I've never had OGS gurgle. Try it
    in a different pipe.

Elwin likes this.
  9. Charles

Charles Member

Agreed! OGS is my #1 toby of all time! I have 3 pipes dedicated to it. A Savinelli, a Stanwell, and a MM Country Gent. I've never had it gurgle once in any of those. I usually only let my flakes dry 30min to 1hr.

10. CustomDave

CustomDave Member

I have a pete B10. Mine has a bit of a gurgle to it no matter what I am smoking in it. Never really bothered me that much. Just run a pipe cleaner down it like dmkerr said. It seems to me that OGS burns better if rubbed out and left to dry for 30 or 40 mins. Never really gurgles on me then, and I smoke it pretty fast and hotter than I should when it gets cold out.

11. WayneTeipen

WayneTeipen Member

Sounds like the pipe to me. I smoke a good bit of OGS and it typically smokes dry. I may get crucified for this but Peterson pipes aren't always the best engineered pipes. [/hides under desk] They often seem to be drier smokes than they really are because many have built in moisture traps in the bottom of the mortise and the airways are often drilled high in the mortise. The majority of my bent Pete's are drilled like this. It allows a certain amount of moisture to pool before it occludes the airway and causes a gurgle. That being said, I do love my Pete's and have several.

12. Trippwire

Trippwire Member

After reading what people have to say, I figure it must be the pipe (or the smoker). This was more an experiment to see if I can get the pipe to not gurgle, I ruled out tobacco moisture and packing, pretty sure not smoking too fast, the gurgles have been somewhat consistent, so probably not weather related.

It's a well smoked pipe, always gurgled a bit, nevermind, I suppose it's not the end of the world, I'll just use a pipe cleaner. Thanks for the advice... Might have to get that 302 system I've had my eye on..

13. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

Ahem... ah... well... yeah... (+1 on this, totally agree)... boy, that Wayne is askin' for it, isn't he...

Unless you take the stem off your pipe after each smoke and swab out that well (PITA!) the well causes the very problems it was designed to solve. I'll stick with the pipe cleaner method, thanks.

14. WayneTeipen

WayneTeipen Member

All is not lost with Peterson pipes. They can be modified to improve their smoking qualities by fixing (or having fixed) a few minor airway issues. Don't get me wrong, I own more Peterson pipes than any other brand. I just like the way they look. I will break them in as is. If I have moisture problems with one after it's been broken in then I modify the airway. If I'm getting excessive moisture at the bottom of the mortise the first thing I do is countersink the airway at the end of the stems tenon. This minimizes the sharp edge and allows the smoke (and vapors) to funnel into the stem reducing moisture buildup here. That's the easiest and least invasive modification with little risk of screwing up the pipe altogether. If it still gurgles, I'll straighten the stem and open up the airway at the bit end. Most factory pipes are very restricted in the last inch or so of the stem airway because making a proper slot takes too much time to make a factory pipe profitable. Tyler Lane (Beard) once told me that this is the most common culprit for a wet smoking pipe and in my experience I've found this to be true. These two things will vastly improve the smoking qualities of any Peterson pipe and any factory made pipe for that matter. If these two things don't do the trick then my last resort is to open up the airway diameter in the stummel and stem making sure they match and the stem airway tapers. I've not had a pipe where these mods didn't eliminate or vastly improve moisture issues.

Trippwire likes this.
  15. WyoBob

WyoBob Member

I agree. Though I no longer smoke briars or meers, when I did, I never had a gurgle problem with OGS. With cobs, I've never had a gurgle problem with any tobacco.

WyoBob

Darkly likes this.
  16. TedVig

TedVig total pipeflake

Never a gurgle with OGS or any other tobac since I got my pace. Very slow gentle steady draws almost using the back of the tongue, not the front.

17. Stoked

Stoked Member

I smoke my OGS in a Savinelli pot, never had it gurgle. That's my system. :whis:

I find that the large open diameter really allows the flavor to open up to magnificent levels of savoriness. It's the shrewd way to smoke this weed IMO.

Ted Vig likes this.
  18. ryan65

ryan65 Member

I bought a peterson system pipe back in 2006 that gurgled every single time, to the point of the bottom being completely soaked as well as in the stem (which up to that point every previous pete I had broke in beautifully) until finally giving up on it for a long time. a few years ago I tried it again and magically the gurgling stopped. I started smoking EMP in it so perhaps thats the reason, but since the gurgling stopped and cake was allowed to form at the bottom of the bowl, I got a dry smoke no matter what blend I filled it with. My advice would be to try several blends to see if you can get it to smoke dry, and use that to break it in fully, with a solid cake at the very bottom, then try it again with the baccy you were having problems with.

Trippwire and Jesla like this.
  19. Trippwire

Trippwire Member

The mystery is solved. The finish on the pipe bubbled, so I sent it to Peterson in Ireland. Along with refinishing it, they countersunk the tenon with a funnel type drill. They also widened and deepened the slot in the button.

It does not gurgle at all now

Darkly and dwaugh like this.
  20. cobbsmoker

cobbsmoker Active Member

No gurgles here, ever, I smoke filtered pipes. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.