OGS question

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by jeff394, May 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jeff394

jeff394 Member

Does OGS really contain perique? I normally don't tolerate perique very well, but I don't seem to detect it I OGS. I think that TR.com has it wrong, but it could be me.
    Your thoughts?

2. WyoBob

WyoBob Member

I've read in a few places that TR does have it wrong and OGS does not contain perique.

An older 50 gram tin I have mentions that it contains a bit of burley. The only tobaccos mentioned on the new tin and a couple of older tins I have on hand are Virginias.

WyoBob

3. TedVig

TedVig total pipeflake

I have read over at pipes magazine that Kevin got the answer from Orlick. It was mis-translated as burley but actually has perique in it.

4. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

Can't have much. That stuff's incredibly boring.

cobbsmoker and Arkie like this.
  5. Arkie

Arkie Active Member

+1 on what Sas said. It's too bland to have Perique.

6. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

If it does have perique ... then it has it in the way Sail green has latakia

Mington likes this.
  7. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

....maybe - but it's a good smoke! (SAS must be bored easily!) ;)

8. cobbsmoker

cobbsmoker Active Member

In my opinion, a mediocre blend at best.

9. Slow Tri

Slow Tri Is it Friday yet?

I like that blend.....but didn't when I first tried it. I do not believe that it contains perique no matter what anything says. I don't taste it or smell it.

10. Arkie

Arkie Active Member

No offense intended. If you like Orlik GS you might like Reiner Long Flake (gold label) even more. It is similar to OGS but, IMHO, it has a bit more flavor. OGS tastes like straight Virginia. RLF tastes like a rich mixture of Virginia, Burly and, possibly, a touch of Perique.

11. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

none taken Ark!, OGS is not really strong enough to be an everyday smoke for me, but I do like that....er...citrus?...or is it bergamot? subtle flavor when sipped, it always makes me want some Earl Grey tea (an ideal partner for OGS!). It is a very popular flake, and FWIW - I would bet on no Perique.
    OT

12. Arkie

Arkie Active Member

Smokingpipes.com lists their top ten most popular blends in terms of sales each week and I've noticed OGS is nearly always on the list. Incidently, I've noticed Escudo is generally listed as #1 in sales.

13. Snake

Snake permanent ankle biter

I've never detected any perique
    in OGS. Plus, I'm not a fan of
    perique, so if there actually is
    some in there, its a very small
    amount. OT is right that it has
    a nice citrus note to it. Used to
    Be an all day smoke for me until
    I discovered Condor.

14. jeff394

jeff394 Member

Thanks, guys. I can't really tell, but I still like the tobacco. .

Ted Vig likes this.
  15. Brian

Brian Member

I like OGS. I also don't seem to tolerate perique. If there's any perique in OGS, it has to be so little as to be inconsequential. I really think I would notice.

That issue with perique tolerance is strange. I occasionally hear other people mention it. It seems uncommon, but not completely rare. I wonder if it is some specific type of body chemistry or something?

I like spicy food. I like the flavor of perique sometimes when I smoke a blend with it, and the feeling of my tongue tingling. It just slowly starts to make me feel a little ill as the bowl progresses. Escudo is tasty and smokes so nice, but leaves me queasy in the end every time. The only blend with perique that isn't that bad for me is Anniversary Kake.

16. Tortuga

Tortuga Member

I hate perique, and I taste perique in it. Gave the tin my brother-in-law.

Edit: I'll elaborate.

I ran into a B&M cause I ran out of tobacco halfway through the day. Bought OGS because it said it had Virginia and Burley and I like to smoke Virginia and Burley. I packed a pipeful, drove to my next job and then lit up. I hurriedly jerked the pipe from my mouth, gasping and choking the words, "Perique! Yuck!" Then I dug that foul weed from my pipe and went to buy some OTC.

17. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

I've just been smoking OGS out in my garden, for most of the day, and can't for the life of me detect Perique in that "foul weed", nor has it given me any inclination towards 'amateur dramatics':rolleyes:
    OT;)

Ted Vig and prole like this.
  18. GlassSculptor

GlassSculptor Active Member

I don't detect any perique in it either. One more good reason to keep a jar of granulated perique on hand.

I rarely smoke OGS straight up. It's just too bright for my taste.

Old Ted likes this.
  19. Tortuga

Tortuga Member

Those were definitely dramatics of the professional sort. How dare you insult my performance!?

Just kidding. However, I taste perique. It might not be much, but I taste it. It might even be something else masquerading as perique. It tastes like perique to me though. Muddy tomatoes is what it tastes like to me.

20. Brian

Brian Member

OGS to me seems like a blend in the Danish style. MacBaren is in that same family of taste, and they produce their own special "MaC Baren Modern Cavendish." It's the very dark tobacco in some of their blends (ex. the black center in a coin of Club Blend). It's quite spicy and peppery.

Could OGS have something like that in it?

I like to call it Danish Perique. It tastes similar to me in a lot of ways -- peppery, spicy, earthy and not really sweet (not at all like American-style vanilla black cavendish). The *HUGE* difference is it doesn't make me feel ill like real perique does.

Still ... I agree with GlassSculptor. It's a very bright blend with light VA and Burley in it. The flakes don't visually have much (any?) dark tobacco in them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.