1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.
  2. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Oh dear! Falcon fails me again

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by raffles07, Jan 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. raffles07

raffles07 Member

I like Falcon pipes but, as has been noted on this forum before, there are qc issues with current production. I've twice tried to buy a new Falcon and both times sent it back to the shop.

I had a an old standard stem in tolerable shape (but missing its tube and mouthpiece) so decided to send it off and give Falcon's restore service a go. I sent it on New Year's Eve - maybe a mistake, because I wonder if the regular guy, Keith Richardson, was away over the holidays and the restore was done by someone else - and it arrived back this morning

It's such a shame, because with a little more attention to detail this could have been an excellent job. As it is, when I look at it, I'm just filled with immense disappointment. The mouthpiece is out of alinement with the aluminium stem - but I think if it were rotated 180 degrees it would fit near perfectly. There is also a small mark on the stem where it has obviously been gripped in a vice without adequate protection.

2. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

Hi All,

Damn shame! I'd send it back with a complaint,

Best to all

Gerry

3. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

I must have been lucky! - had one or two (still have 'em) over the last forty five years, and they seem to be one of the most 'bullet-proof' of pipes! :dunno:

4. gyrostatic

gyrostatic Member

That is terrible luck, sorry to hear that. I hope they fix it, it would seem pretty terrible customer service if they didn't. If not, and you're still terribly unhappy with it, I'm sure there are a dozen people who'd buy that off your hands.

5. raffles07

raffles07 Member

I shaved a bit of material off one side of the mouthpiece and rebuffed. It looks reasonable now - at least comparable to my other standard stems, which all have minor flaws if you examine them closely enough. I have five, and don't suppose I shall ever really need another. Best get on with smoking 'em!

6. raffles07

raffles07 Member

Update - Falcon Redeemed

It turned out the returned stem was even worse than I had originally thought. During the restoration about .75mm of material had been shaved off the top edge of the humidome, leading to a situation where some of my deeper-threaded bowls would not seat at all.

But full marks to Falcon customer service! as following a detailed email of complaint they are sending me a new stem.

From the nature of his reply I would say that Keith Richardson does not do the restoration work personally.

7. Fredrik

Fredrik Member

Anyone else thinking rather than Richardson it might just be Keith Richards? ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.