Oh My God-ron Leader!

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Albert, Apr 26, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Albert

Albert Active Member

So.... I get this 100g bag in the mail of Squadron Leader in a trade (thnx dmkerr!) and unbeknownst to me that little bi-plane fighter was about to send me into a tail spin of pure piping bliss! After the first bowl, i couldnt stop thinking about that little rose-soapy taste..i was very intrigued. Ive had about 15 bowls of it now and have reached an odd, new, and exciting place in my piping journey....I dont want to put anything else in my pipe. All my other tins have just sat there. I mean I like it so much that I even love to just stick my nose down just over the burning bowl and take a huge whiff. I guess this is what ya'll call that "ah ha" moment. So of course theres the supply issue, found some bulk SL and ordered it to cellar. Will be cellaring some of my other stuff I can tell....for when the Gawith well runs a little dry :ohyh:

2. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

Yep - hold off on the thanks until you know you have a long-term supply! :)

Glad you're enjoying it. I'm having fun with the stuff you sent me as well! Thanks again.

3. user0003

user0003 Well-Known Member

Now your journey is really going to kick off! You've got a glims of what's lies ahead.

Congratulation bother.

4. GlassSculptor

GlassSculptor Active Member

Yup, SL really is that good......just don't go around telling everyone or...wait....

......never mind.:rolleyes:

5. ichabod

ichabod Member

I'm jealous, everyone seems to rave over this tobacco.

6. Jay

Jay Active Member

I had a similar reaction to SL. It was all I could think about for quite a while until it was gone and then--no more SL

7. HCraven

HCraven Active Member

I actually have one pipe that gets NOTHING but Squadron Leader. Thought about burning some Skiff in it the other day while I wait for my stash of SL to arrive (pipesandcigars.com has some bulk right now :th1:), but then...nope, not gonna do it.

8. Albert

Albert Active Member

got some of that bulk supply in the mail to me right now.

9. t-bear

t-bear Well-Known Member

SL is a regular for me...never fails go give me a fine smoke. Congrats on finding a fine and faithful companion.

10. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

I hear the rave from fellow pipe smokers about this product and it makes me want to try it ! But then the soap thing comes up .. Darn [ this lack of profanity is killin me ] .. Anyway , I'm a man so I can take it right ?! I'm comming out of the closet on this one ... gonna have to try it ! It better be good ;) Being this stuff is rare as gold, would someone do me the favor of a trade of just a fews bowls worth so I can try it . If so , PM me an I'll send ya a list of what I got . I wont let the hype bias me and will give it an honest assesment . So far I'm 50/50 with SG stuff . Commonwealth[yuck] I cant do and Firedance[heaven] is a mind blower ! Grousemoor[meh] was kinda funky. I'm glad you're digging it albot9 ! Bliss is a great place to be :)

11. Dondi

Dondi Active Member

That's the way to do it! I have a couple of pipes dedicated to oriental blends which I use for SL. I tried SL in a pipe which I used for latakia-heavy english blends, and it just wasn't the same.

HCraven likes this.
  12. HCraven

HCraven Active Member

I started using that pipe (my big Nording) for SL after it's previous marriage to another blend was cut short by the death of same. The bowl is pretty huge, which, as someone said, works great for SL. Moreover, it's one of the only mixtures that can keep my interest for the length of time it takes me to smoke that pipe (usually about an hour and a half, sometimes longer). Complex and very well balanced.

Sasquatch likes this.
  13. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

Yup. This is what "mixture" is supposed to mean. Nothing too much, nothing too little... interplay between the components.

I hate Gawith's square tins and patchy supply, so I took up Presbyterian and British Woods as replacements for SL. Neither is identical, but both are super good.

14. HCraven

HCraven Active Member

I have Presby on my short list for when I get another case of TAD. As for British Woods, it is tasty and I used to love the stuff, but for the last few years my taste in English has leaned toward the dry side, and BW is a little tangy, no doubt owing to McClelland's trademark sweet Virginias.

15. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

I'm not sure if it's the Va's... certain blends strike me as being really tangy because of the oriental component. I don't THINK it's the cyprian lat - blends like Commonwealth have no tang, but a little drama and basma seem to really sharpen things up. But then I think McCranie's Red Ribbon tastes like a Va/Per so what the hell do I know...

16. HCraven

HCraven Active Member

That's a good point, Sas. I'll downgrade "no doubt" to "possibly".

17. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

I'm just confused because every once in awhile McClelland puts out a virginia-laden blend with none of that tangy edge to it, and every once in awhile it crops up in blends that I don't expect it to. "Legends" from McClelland is chock full of orientals and va and doesn't hit my sinuses like Frog Morton on the Town, for example.

18. Albert

Albert Active Member

How does Skiff mixture compare with SL? not "its better or worse" but flavor notes, doest it have that lakeland essence? ect....

19. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

Skiff, SL, Perfection are all very similar blends and smoked as a mini-rotation, is a wonderful trip.

Skiff is like a milder/mellower/differenter lil bro to SL.

Perfection to me has more latakia (cyprian?) and a casing of vanilla which I can't really taste but it sure does taste good!

For me, SL wasn't available so I went and tried the other two and wallah! I'm glad I did try 'em! Great smokes! But if I had to choose only one????? SQUADRON!

Ed
    Puff

20. HCraven

HCraven Active Member

I had a similar experience, Ed. I tried Perfection a while back, and it's very good, though I admit I thought the Cavendish would make it's presence known a little more than it does. I found it a bit closer to Commonwealth than SL.

I scored my first tin of Skiff recently on my quest for SG and it's great, perhaps a good all-day smoke, if one is inclined to do so. Navy Flake is another one I picked up on. Not like the other three at all, but remarkable, nonetheless.

Herb

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.