Oh No! It's Happening!

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by ArmedOctopus, Apr 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ArmedOctopus

ArmedOctopus Active Member

I haven't been a pipe smoker for long....perhaps 8 months at the most. I began the journey with some nice and easy aromatics. Recently I took the plunge into English.....and it's happening: I find myself having a hard time liking aromatics. For some reason, about 1/2 way through each bowl, I lose interest and immediatly yearn for something more...English.

I am going through a transformation and I fear I shall never be the same.

TedVig, Summit and dBear like this.
  2. Thuber88

Thuber88 Well-Known Member

A lot of aro's are all fluff and no substance, great smells and not much flavor, not to mention the other issues with many OTC aro's
    I had a aro that covered smells and flavor, but it was dam pricey, so it will be a while before I ever get past the tiny sample I had.
    Shop around, some good aro's out there as well as all the other kinds.
    Welcome to TAD, its all downhill from here..:)

3. dBear

dBear Active Member

Nope, you'll never be the same. An era passed, a new era begun.

Smokey Tom and Thuber88 like this.
  4. Thuber88

Much to your wallets displeasure...

dBear likes this.
  5. ArmedOctopus

ArmedOctopus Active Member

Smokey Tom and dBear like this.
  6. Thuber88

True, but if you overbuy, we can always stop by and help you out...:p:

7. michiganlover

michiganlover Active Member

My first experience with a English Blend was Penzance. I was pifed a generous sample of it about a month back.

I sniffed the baggie. Ewww, disgusting!! I lit it up, so gross I couldn't even finish half a bowl! My previous experience had mostly been OTC blends.

So I set the remainder of the sample aside for later.

Going to my local tobacco shop, I decided I should see if they have any Frog Morton since it was so highly raved about. They had a tin of Frog Morton on the Bayou. Upon opening, and smoking I discovered a similar smell, and flavor to the Penzance.

About the same time, I opened my tin of Dunhill Early Morning Pipe that I had purchased weeks earlier based upon reviews alone (having no idea what Latakia was at the time). Imagine my shock upon discovering that the smell, and taste was similar to Penzance (due to the latakia).

At this point, I was thinking "You have got to be kidding me, this disgusting mess is what is so heavily raved about?"

Not wanting to be wasteful, I smoked a few more bowls of Frog Morton, and Early Morning Pipe over the next few weeks. At first, all I could taste was the Latakia, but eventually I could taste flavors that were lurking behind it.

Of course the inevitable happened, and I am now greatly enjoying the English blends. I even gladly finished off the sample of Penzance!!

This week I have been smoking through some samples of Aromatics that a gracious member of the board sent me. Like you, the English blends may have destroyed me, as I found most of them to be rather bland, lacking in flavor, with nothing really memorable about them.

dBear likes this.
  8. Buckshot

Buckshot Member

I can relate. Just can't get into most aromatics. Nothing like pure tobacco flavor and you don't get much of that from most aromatics.

If you try Frog Morton Cellar and you don't like it, you might as well give up altogether on aromatics. They don't get much better than that as far as I can tell. Maybe some of the Steven Books aromatics but I have yet to try those. Just my opinion, of course.

9. buistd

buistd Sales Account

I am yet to find an aromatic that floats my boat like non-aromatics do, with the exception of British-style aromatics. I tried one of the Steven Books blends in the Blind Review and found it much the same as pretty much every other aromatic I've smoked.

Buckshot likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.