1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Ok Dumb Question time?

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by Beale, May 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Beale

Beale Active Member

I have checked out some of these Falcon's. I have to ask why Metal and why different bowls?

I truley do not get it? Beale.

2. WillH

WillH Active Member

It's a cult thing minus the Koolade.

IMO, it's all about volume sales. There's plenty of little chunks of briar around and the leavings from regular pipe makers will more than supply enough wood for Falcon type bowls......and I imagine the price is very good. Ya, just sorta dig around behind the shops at night. If the shop has a wood stove the picken's might be thin....

They can crank out the Aluminum parts (just melt down a bunch of beer cans) with a modest amount of equipment. Add a plastic stem, so you don't burn your lips off and viola! American ingenuity at it best.

The tough part is convincing people that they smoke better than any pipe in our modern world..... :byg: But then,if you lace the Koolade with Valium it's pretty easy to use hypnosis on potential customers.:ngty:

Actually, with the right tobacco they might smoke fairly well.... I couldn't get one to work for me! Others think their FANTASTIC!

Will

3. Marc

Marc Active Member

Beale,

The Falcon pipe has been around for over 70 years, it's a pipe with scientific principles and engineering added to pipe design to produce a cooler, smoother and cleaner smoke, this is accomplished by the design in several ways, the center plug allows the right amount of smoke to pass but no tobacco, the aluminum humidome cools the smoke by condensation and any goo is trapped there below the stem line and the central cooling tube further helps cools the smoke before reaching the mouthpiece, to name a few. There is a slight learning curve to a Falcon pipe I found out when I first started didn't take any time to master; now I enjoy my Falcon pipes more than smoking cobs. They are light weight, ideal for travel, low maintenance and very durable. Falconeer (Gerry) has written extensively in the forums about Falcon pipes, search the forums.

Beale likes this.
  4. WillH

WillH Active Member

Marc,

I was trolling for Gerry! Figured my post would light him up a little!

Honestly! I tried them and smoked mine maybe a dozen times. Just wasn't my thing. They are cheap enough for most anyone to try them. My all time favoriate pipes are my collection of meershaums and at my age any "learning curve" is a non starter. Smoked Cobs off and on for years but didn't learn how to smoke them until the last few years. Took me 30 years to figure out meerschaum - I don't have another 30 years to discover blessing of a Falcon.;)

Burley in a Cob is pretty hard to beat! I seriously doubt a Falcon can honestly compete with that combination.

Those who enjoy Falcon, great!

Will

5. Dondi

Dondi Active Member

Beale likes this.
  6. bigpoppamike100

bigpoppamike100 Member

I dont know why, but I can say I think there kind of cool, I'm more to the old style perfered person but its got a steam line look

7. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

I've been looking for one on ebay . I like the idea of diff bowls . They look 50's retro to me ... I'll bag one soon I hope . I think aluminum was thought to cool smoke . Maybe it does , I dont know , My Dunhill Innertube has an aluminum tube [ that you can take out ] ... I was told they made those early on and that the gig was it would cool the smoke . The inner tube has it's own pat # ... gotta love Dunhill

Beale likes this.
  8. Strongirish

Strongirish Member

Reasons why are well stated above. I love my briars but I own 10 Falcons with multible bowls as I travel a lot and it is so much easier to pack one stem and several bowls. They smoke darn well too and they are sturdy to smoke when working outside.

Beale likes this.
  9. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

Just to keep it simple (since I can't match the posters' grace, above...) they are cheap, tough as nails, and can be smoked repeatedly with little to no loss in smoke quality. The fact they smoke very well should be reason enough, but my other reasons are the main ones on why I like them.

Kirsten is close, Dondi, but the added cleaning and restrictive draw are the two noticeable 'cons' in my book. Of course, you don't have to clean one up til the end of day, so it's a personal preference on that point.

And...if you start window shopping metal pipes, Beale, you'll see oodles of brands that can claim almost similar status. Falcon is just the biggest success story of the group.

Beale likes this.
  10. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

<---
    <--- Mine can!! :byg:;)

Beale and Kiowapipe like this.
  11. WillH

WillH Active Member

Ya, well my grandma can spit further'en your'en.....en, en my dogs way meaner and purtter then your'en. There, take that! :bing:

Will

12. Beale

Beale Active Member

Thanks all! I just need to do some research! I also need to have my $$ together. Y'all are great!! Beale.

13. Kiowapipe

Kiowapipe Active Member

Here ya go, Beale:

http://www.premierpipes.com/Falconpipes/why.htm

I think the central idea is that they're supposed to collect moisture in a little reservoir below the bowl so you don't get gurgle or wet dottle. My impression is that they started out as sort of a gimmick, but it evidently worked for many people and it eventually really took off. As to whether they really do smoke cooler or drier, I've no comment, never smoked one. I think it's interesting that they started out in the states but never took hold, while they became pretty huge in the UK.

14. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

;)
    ......:xd:.......Touche!......:moon:........;)

15. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

Seriously!...honest! - the Falcon's 'little brother', the Alco is worth consideration too, same principal and make, but the bowls are slightly smaller.
    OT
    ][​IMG]

16. WillH

WillH Active Member

Beale,

Just remember! Don't put the thing in your shirt pocket stem down.

Will

17. nowsharing

nowsharing Member

I have an old Alco International just like that coming from Fleabay. I still haven't found exactly what the differences are between them and Falcons. Is it just the stem threading and bowl size, or are the innards and materials different too?

BTW, I think the thing with Falcons is just that the Falconeer writes so strongly in praise of them. I think this forum might be the only place where they're so popular. I know that's why I ordered one; out of pure curiosity.

18. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

It's a slightly smaller pipe, but to the same design and instead of the narrow tube - protected by the side rails it has a more conventional looking stem and shank, and yes the bowl thread is smaller diameter. I do think Falcons are more of a British thing, there are not too many pipesmokes around here now, but years ago you saw them every day!, and when I started work back in the sixties there were six guys that smoked them in my workplace. Still quite popular over here - I believe we can buy them a lot cheaper than in the States.
    Cheers, OT

19. Marc

Marc Active Member

He'll bite! :rofl:

20. Marc

Marc Active Member

Strongirish, with my new job, I too, travel a lot and they are indeed the pipe for traveling!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.