1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.
  2. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Ok Dumb Question time?

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by Beale, May 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Marc

Marc Active Member

They were never a gimmick pipe and have sold over 6 million and still going strong!

2. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

.....but not until the weekend!

3. Marc

Marc Active Member

I
    If you use the dry rings you can?

4. Beale

Beale Active Member

Well I am gonna read up on them over the weekend? May be my next buy? Beale.

5. WillH

WillH Active Member

Whoa!

I traveled for 30 years installing sawmill equipment from Canada to South America. Had only three pipes: a Peterson, a Brebbia and a Don Roberto. That's it! No problems! None!
    No Cleaning issues!
    Didn't need any little soaker ring thingys!
    If my stem got a little rugged I'd just polished them up - didn't need to send them back to the maker. And I could remove the stem if I wanted! No plastic stems either! Real vulcanite and I like the feel of vulcanite!
    The plateing never came off!
    I carried the pipes in my tobacco pouch with no fear of leaking!
    At the end of a long day I always had a great smoke with a little single malt ....Even after smoking the pipes during the day without cleaning!

Geeze! What was I missing that a Falcon can do better?

I dunno....

Will

6. Marc

Marc Active Member

Will, you weren't missing anything, like you I pretty much survived on about 5 pipes for 20 years or so, use to smoke the same pipe all day, every day, for weeks at a time and like you I could have easily existed on 1 or 2 pipes or a couple of cobs. I have less than a dozen pipes now and that includes my two Falcon stems and a half dozen bowls, but it is nice to walk out the house smoking a Falcon, with a spare bowl in my pocket and not having to deal with a pipe bag and such.

7. WillH

WillH Active Member

Marc,

Ya, what the heck! We all have things we like and tend to get passionate about our discoveries. I do! Need to temper myself - easy to say, hard to do.

In all fairness I did try the Falcon, and was seriously looking forward to the experience. Just wasn't for me. Couldn't get the thing to cool down enough so I could hang on to it! Yes, I do like a mouth full of smoke but my other pipes don't get too hot?
    All the rest of this is just for fun, a little ribbing to keep you guys honest.:) If you give in to easy then you can't be trusted...:thu:.

Will

8. Marc

Marc Active Member

Hey Will, I'm with ya buddy!:):):)

9. Kiowapipe

Kiowapipe Active Member

Maybe poor choice of words, I intended no disparagement. It just seems to me that when old Kenley Bugg came up with the idea it was kind of a back-pages of Popular Mechanics thing, if you know what I mean.

10. Marc

Marc Active Member

None taken and I understand... thank you sir!:)

11. Dondi

Dondi Active Member

Beale, you'll also read in some of Gerry's threads that Falcons can often "tame" a blend that would be too harsh or bitter in some other pipe. I've found this to be true. I tried a blend called Strathspey in my briars and meerschaums and I never liked the experience. I kept some though to try in a Falcon, and the blend really shone!

Another thing I like about my Falcon is moisture control. I can decide to use a dry ring (or not) depending on how wet the toby is. I can also open up the bowl mid-smoke and mop up the humidome when I'm struggling with a particularly moist blend!

Beale likes this.
  12. Marc

Marc Active Member

:th1:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.