1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Ok Dumb Question time?

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by Beale, May 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Marc

Marc Active Member

They were never a gimmick pipe and have sold over 6 million and still going strong!

2. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

.....but not until the weekend!

3. Marc

Marc Active Member

I
    If you use the dry rings you can?

4. Beale

Beale Active Member

Well I am gonna read up on them over the weekend? May be my next buy? Beale.

5. WillH

WillH Active Member

Whoa!

I traveled for 30 years installing sawmill equipment from Canada to South America. Had only three pipes: a Peterson, a Brebbia and a Don Roberto. That's it! No problems! None!
    No Cleaning issues!
    Didn't need any little soaker ring thingys!
    If my stem got a little rugged I'd just polished them up - didn't need to send them back to the maker. And I could remove the stem if I wanted! No plastic stems either! Real vulcanite and I like the feel of vulcanite!
    The plateing never came off!
    I carried the pipes in my tobacco pouch with no fear of leaking!
    At the end of a long day I always had a great smoke with a little single malt ....Even after smoking the pipes during the day without cleaning!

Geeze! What was I missing that a Falcon can do better?

I dunno....

Will

6. Marc

Marc Active Member

Will, you weren't missing anything, like you I pretty much survived on about 5 pipes for 20 years or so, use to smoke the same pipe all day, every day, for weeks at a time and like you I could have easily existed on 1 or 2 pipes or a couple of cobs. I have less than a dozen pipes now and that includes my two Falcon stems and a half dozen bowls, but it is nice to walk out the house smoking a Falcon, with a spare bowl in my pocket and not having to deal with a pipe bag and such.

7. WillH

WillH Active Member

Marc,

Ya, what the heck! We all have things we like and tend to get passionate about our discoveries. I do! Need to temper myself - easy to say, hard to do.

In all fairness I did try the Falcon, and was seriously looking forward to the experience. Just wasn't for me. Couldn't get the thing to cool down enough so I could hang on to it! Yes, I do like a mouth full of smoke but my other pipes don't get too hot?
    All the rest of this is just for fun, a little ribbing to keep you guys honest.:) If you give in to easy then you can't be trusted...:thu:.

Will

8. Marc

Marc Active Member

Hey Will, I'm with ya buddy!:):):)

9. Kiowapipe

Kiowapipe Active Member

Maybe poor choice of words, I intended no disparagement. It just seems to me that when old Kenley Bugg came up with the idea it was kind of a back-pages of Popular Mechanics thing, if you know what I mean.

10. Marc

Marc Active Member

None taken and I understand... thank you sir!:)

11. Dondi

Dondi Active Member

Beale, you'll also read in some of Gerry's threads that Falcons can often "tame" a blend that would be too harsh or bitter in some other pipe. I've found this to be true. I tried a blend called Strathspey in my briars and meerschaums and I never liked the experience. I kept some though to try in a Falcon, and the blend really shone!

Another thing I like about my Falcon is moisture control. I can decide to use a dry ring (or not) depending on how wet the toby is. I can also open up the bowl mid-smoke and mop up the humidome when I'm struggling with a particularly moist blend!

Beale likes this.
  12. Marc

Marc Active Member

:th1:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.