1. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

ok, finally had to post...

Discussion in 'The Smoking Lounge' started by dirtybee, Apr 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dirtybee

dirtybee Member

Oct 6, 2010
    As someone who has casually smoke a pipe for the last 18 years and only seriously for the last 3, I feel it is time to share my joy of this reading through all your wonderful posts and share one of my own. I am currently finishing a 45 plus minute bowl of a toby that has opened my eyes. While visiting my parents in Wilmington NC I stopped by my all time favorite tobacco shop, Davis and Son. I have bought pipes from them and recently an Old Boy, but always stayed clear of their English blends as I could never develop a taste for them, until now. I expressed how English blends remind my of bbq sauce, and I want to like them and get away from aromatics, but the leap seemed to far for me, and they gave me the answer I needed. A blend called "3 Jacks" was suggested that only had a hint of latakia in it. I have smoked it for 3 weeks now and love it. They also recommended "London Guard" (which is what I just finished) which has considerably more latakia in it. All I can say is wow! I now see how flavorful and complex English blends are. The relaxed state and incredible flavors I just experienced has opened my eyes to what great tobys are out there. That's all, thank you for enduring my rant, but I am so greatful to encounter such a patient and knowledgeable tobacconist and have a perfect online collection of good people that are always willing to share and listen to others.
    I am proud to be amongst you all.
  2. Smoker99

Smoker99 Active Member

Dec 16, 2009
    Glad you found something you enjoy in this genre. I find English blends to be some of the best available. A lot of the interest and fun in pipe smoking is searching for that "silver bullet" blend.
  3. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

Dec 25, 2009
    Hi All,

Thought it was a great post not a rant! A good knowledgeable tobacconists/pipe shop can add greatly to your appreciation of the pipe world no matter how long you've been in it as I well know. I've been dealing with a couple of good ones for years and they've gone out of their way to be helpfull and given me great service advice and recommendations.

To me it's one of the sad things about this modern world that we are losing this great resource once so common. E-tailers are good and have great ranges at good prices but I still like the personal touch and a long running relationship

Thanks for posting

4. Beale

Beale Active Member

Apr 2, 2011
    I would also like to welcome you to the site!

What a great first post. I am also finding myself drawn by the English blends. Continued good luck to you, Beale.
  5. RTOdhner

RTOdhner Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2011
    Great post. English blends really are wonderful, and it's good to hear you found one you like. Enjoy.
  6. t-bear

t-bear Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2009
    Glad you found a home...both here and with your local pipe shop. That kind of personal touch is fast becoming a thing of the past in this helter-skelter world of ours.

Welcome to the forum!
  7. Whalehead King

Whalehead King Balaenius Rex!!

Jan 23, 2010
    A rant about good service and good tobacco is not a rant at all. Welcome aboard.
  8. Arkie

Arkie Active Member

Apr 1, 2011
    It's great having an "aha" moment when you find that one blend that you really love. I, too, am a new member and I'm picking up all sorts of good pointers and advice. Welcome aboard.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.