1. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

OK...I give up...what is this CR@P?

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Mington, Oct 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mington

Mington Well-Known Member

Well, while driving around, I found yet another hole in the wall Smoker's (Outlet-type) store that mostly has cigarette tobacco and cheap cigars. Every time I go to these (which I have to stop doing although I did find Dan's Blue Note once at one) they point me to the wall of "pipe tobacco" bags, that look like and are next to the cigarette tobacco bags. I have not picked one up yet or looked at what are the tobaccos inside.

This can't be real pipe tobacco...can it?
    Does anyone really buy this and smoke it in a Dunhill? <heh>
    Now I did see Smokers Pride which I have heard about here and is even on TR. Looks like the Cavendish one may be smokeable (one day)

Here are a few of the others I saw today:
    Gambler - http://www.pipesandcigars.com/gapito.html
    Red River - http://www.bnbtobacco.com/product/R...ag?gdftrk=gdfV21579_a_7c17_a_7c228_a_7c500200

I thought I saw Spirit too, but that might have been one of the cigarette tobaccos.
    WTF!?!

2. BigJ

BigJ Active Member

My understanding is if the brand is advertised as "pipe" tobacco rather than RYO it falls into a different and lower tax group.
    And fyi, the smokers oitlets on mysideof town carry some churchills blends and regular ol drugstore brands

3. HCraven

HCraven Active Member

I suspect this is more up the alley of cigarette tobacco masquerading as pipe tobacco to avoid a specific tax. I pulled into a smoke shop one day to get a pack of Camels, and I saw all these large boxes marked "pipe tobacco" that must have just arrived on a truck. Thinking that maybe they were broadening their horizons a little (or that they had at least received a large shipment of Smoker's Pride), I investigated one of the open boxes only to find that it was stuffed full of bulk bags of shredded Burley (OK, maybe some Turkish as well) that had no business in anyone's basket pipe, much less a Dunhill. It actually kinda pisses me off because eventually the Feds will catch on and stop distinguishing between which tobaccos get hit with the tax and start charging us a fortune for tins of legitimate pipe weed.

4. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

I think you should buy them all and let us know. If they come with free rolling papers, well...bonus!

5. Mington

Mington Well-Known Member

:rofl: lol

6. ruffinogoldswife

ruffinogoldswife The Mayor's Wife

I'm pretty sure both red river and gambler are for rolling cigaretes. Sorry guys.:(

7. t-bear

t-bear Well-Known Member

...and you're pretty right, little lady! :th1:

ruffinogoldswife likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.