Ok, I still like this stuff after all

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by mtsgsd, Apr 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mtsgsd

mtsgsd Active Member

Thought I'd post a follow up regarding my strange reaction to the Balkan blends I bought. As long as I smoke them in a briar, all is good, but my two cob pipes turn it into a stinging nasty smoke. Strange since cobs are supposed to be neutral eh? I don't mean tongue bite either. I've done several trials now and briar gets the gold. Least I still get to smoke the stuff!:)

2. jeffbee

jeffbee Member

That's probably why nobody in the Balkan region grows corn.

=Bulldog Jeff

3. Arkie

Arkie Active Member

Are your cobs broken in well? If they aren't, the stinging nasty smoke might be coming from the cob's uncaked chamber. If the cobs have sufficient cake formed, the problem might be that you don't like latakia. Not everyone does. If that is the problem try Robert McConnell's Oriental. It is a Balkan Blend without Latakia and it is very good.

4. mtsgsd

mtsgsd Active Member

I'll keep that in mind as another one to try, but I love latakia. Cobs are fully broken in. Makes no sense to me, but I have plenty of other pipes to smoke these in.

5. Arkie

Arkie Active Member

I'm grabbing at straws in trying to find solutions. You might try letting the cobs rest for a day or two so they are dried out. When I get nasty stinging taste it is sometimes because the pipe is soggy from too frequent use.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.