Okay, so Presbyterian. Perique?

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by AndyLowry, Mar 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AndyLowry

AndyLowry Member

Presbyterian has been mentioned favorably often enough here that I got some. In the tin, there's a figgy plummy thing going on that I usually associate with Perique, and smoking does provide a very mild version of the horrifying sharp nose-burn that I have experienced with Perique. Thing is, I can't find any mention of it having any in it on the internets. Anybody know anything about this? Do I need a microscope to find out?

2. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

Unless it's changed since I smoked some 2 years ago, no perique in Presby. A small amount of latakia and a fair amount of Turkish, however. That might account for some of the nose thingy. The virginia would complete the cycle of "figgy - plummy" quite nicely, I would think.

3. jhe888

jhe888 Member

I like Presbyterian, and I don't notice Perique in it. I have never read there is any in it.

4. Brian

Brian Member

I smoke Presybterian Mix, and I am a little sensitive to perique. I like the taste, but it just doesn't sit that well with me for some reason of personal chemistry. I rarely smoke VaPer's for that reason.

I don't think there is any perique in Presb Mix. It doesn't claim to have it. But there could be flavors or tobaccos in it that remind you of perique. I could see that perhaps.

5. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

I treat myself to a tin of Presbyterian quite regularly, in fact I'm as happy,or more so with that - and Punchbowle, than the fabled Dunhills and Westminsters ( heresy I know! )....don't think there's any perique in it.
    OT

6. Schmitz Bitz

Schmitz Bitz Member

Interestingly enough, I am smoking my first ever bowl of Presbyterian as I read this; I don't notice any perique, but my experience with it (perique) is extremely limited, and I could be missing it, particularly in very small measures.

7. sorringowl

sorringowl Purveyor of PAAD

I have not tried Presby yet, but it seems interesting, as it seems to have a Perique kick to it without any actual Perique. I am in the same boat, brian, Perique seems to give me an awful case of indigestion for some reason (I rarely do spicy foods either, so maybe that has something to do with it?)

Anyway, sounds interesting

8. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

My suspicion with Presby is that it's got a sort of figgy/plummy topping - real subtle, and mixed with the type of latakia it contains, you get an almost perique-y smell to it. There are lots of heavily pressed/aged/fermented tobaccos that have no perique but that act like it - the McCranie's Red Ribbon I've had reminded me of Old Gowrie, for example. So I suspect a certain type of Va can do similar sorts of things.

9. AndyLowry

AndyLowry Member

That could well be it, and it could be the topping itself that is biting my nose. Seems like it would have been easier to just put a little Perique in it, since that seems to be what the maker was aiming for. Interesting stuff, but this will be my only tin, as it's a little too allasame, allasame.

10. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

The recent tins are not as deep/strong as what it used to be. It's still a good mix, but the depth of flavor is a little less, and there's less nuance - like you say, it just is what it is from top to bottom.

11. Dondi

Dondi Active Member

If you like Presby, and you suspect that you might like it even better if there was a bit more perique in it, then you should try GP Quiet Nights or C&D Epiphany :bing:

12. AndyLowry

AndyLowry Member

Can't smoke Perique anymore, though I do make snuff out of it. I like the flavor, but it makes my nose burn and my eyes turn red. I don't know what happened; I used to go through a lot of Haddo's some years back.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.