1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.
  2. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Okay... Whatcha' think is your worst pipe mistake ever?

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by DocMacKinnon, Jan 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DocMacKinnon

DocMacKinnon Member

Sep 14, 2011
    I've been thinking about this subject for a while. I have acquired a few pipes since resuming The Art & Joys of Pipe Smoking.
    The "I Don't Leave Without at least 2 of These" Pipes::puffy:
    - Algerian El Morjane
    - Royal Sovereign
    - Lloyd's "Oom Paul" (even with the broken bit...when will someone tell me how to get this fixed!)
    - Dr. Grabow Bent Omega
    - CLP "Liberty" ceramic bent pipe
    - "The Smoke" a full ceramic. Weird but lightweight!
    The "I Can Learn to Love This Thing" Pipes::sailor:
    - Fujima FP-207 (the pipe my daughter gave me for Christmas- it is the thought that count's)
    - Skully- my first Meerschaum (the connector is loose- otherwise I love it!)
    The "WTF Was I Thinking When I Got This?" Pipes::shead:
    - Kaywoodie White Briar
    - Medico Lancer (The pipe design is great, but the "Brylon" just doesn't "taste" right...)

Okay...what are your Best & Worst pipes?
  2. CalPiper

CalPiper Member

Nov 16, 2011
    Considering how little I spent on it, my Savinelli Duca Carlo has exceeded all my expectations and is one my regular go to pipes. Smokes cool, great draw, not alot of gurgle ever, and rarely gets clogged.

My italian Spitfire I occasionally smoke in the car could get clogged just staring at it. Always gurgles and the hole constantly gets plugged even when I dont tamp barely at all.
  3. Monkeyshine

Monkeyshine Active Member

Aug 15, 2011
    I once threw away a MM Missouri Pride because the stem and shank no longer had an airtight seal...Even though the pipe is very inexpensive, with what I know now it was a huge mistake that could have been remedied by a number of ways.
  4. Arkie

Arkie Active Member

Apr 1, 2011
    I got a pouch of Paladin last year because I thought it couldn't possibly be as bad as I remembered. It was.
    Spaceboy Tim and jpberg like this.
  5. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

Feb 7, 2011
    Category 1) A Baki, Altinok or IMP meerschaum
    2) The Cervi meer I got about 2 months ago. It likes to gurgle. But blowing the gurgle back into the bowl works well and I have learned to love this pipe.
    3) A long time ago I bought a nice Charatan Special dublin. I owned a few other Charatans and they were awesome. This one had the perfect shape and bowl size for me. I owned it for about 4 years and smoked it regularly trying to get it to smoke properly. It never did, always emitting a sour, disagreeable flavor to every tobacco it touched. A lemon, I guess.
  6. Lestrade

Lestrade Active Member

Nov 2, 2011
    1) IMP Meer, Sav 320 KS & Gigantes, Dr. Grabow Royal Duke Rhodesian.
    2) Bari Horn - Fugly but smokes like a dream.
    3) Dunhill Shell - previous owner smoked only MM79 in it, no amount of exorcizing could remove that evil spirit and it smoked hotter than a town Marshall's pistol on a Saturday night.
  7. jpberg

jpberg Moderator Moderator

Feb 9, 2010
    I spent a long time thinking that good pipes were great pipes. Then I got a great pipe, and realized my mistake.
    Rewster66, Mington and CalPiper like this.
  8. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

Feb 11, 2010
    You should of just started with cobs, then! ;)
  9. DerbyGrandpa

DerbyGrandpa Member

Sep 26, 2010
    The worst pipe I ever owned was a large bent Beckler meerschaum. It was hardly smokable. While discussing the piece with a well respected pipe enthusiast known as "Sailorman Jack", he advised me that although pipes with the Beckler name continued to be sold, Beckler himself no longer carved them due to some ailment affecting his hands. I ended up giving the pipe to a then Internet retailer known as "Frenchy", who found the pipe to be engineered so poorly that it wasn't smokable. He ended up selling it for a penny on his website. For all I know, one of you might own it now. If so, you have my sympathies.

The best pipe I ever owned was a hand made apple with a hand cut Cumberland stem crafted by the late Alan Stevenson. I've had it a few years and I still smoke it to this day.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.