1. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Old Gowrie - the perique factor?

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Brian, Nov 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brian

Brian Member

I bought a tin of Rattray's Old Gowrie yesterday. I am not really a big fan of perique. I don't hate it, but I don't find myself gravitating to VaPers. I went back and forth and back and forth trying to decide if I wanted to try Old Gowrie. Some reviews talked about the perique, then some reviewers say they can't detect it much, if at all in the blend.

I cracked open the tin in the shop and enjoyed a nice bowl while sitting there. I really enjoyed the smoke, and thought "If there's perique in this, it's just the slightest whisper." I mostly tasted the wonderful sweet and bright/mild VA.

BUT...

Later that evening I went to a pub and was drinking Guinness ale. I loaded up another bowl of Old Gowrie to smoke on the walk back to the subway station. All I could taste was perique!!!! It really wasn't that pleasant. I immediately thought of how my pallet must have changed by drinking the ales. I think my tongue was more sensitized to the bitter and peppery tastes or something.

I'll be smoking the rest of the tin, but it was a very unusual experience to have the same tobacco taste so radically different in the same day even.

Do you all taste perique in Old Gowrie? I'm curious.

2. nobler son

nobler son Member

Old Gowrie is my current favorite. The Virginia tastes a little tangy to me, rather than sweet. The Perique usually settles in a little later into the bowl, but I definitely taste it. I enjoy it, actually. I love spicy, peppery foods, so a tobacco with that same quality is a winner with me. I like that buzzing sensation in the nose on an exhale.

3. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

I only had a couple bowls of OG, but nope...VA only to me. Rattray's blends seem to like to play the tongue bite tango with me, so any further testing doesn't thrill me. A shame, too, cuz RRR is the bomb.

4. Brian

Brian Member

I like spicy food a lot too, which surprises me that I am not more drawn to perique. *shrug* Tastes change. I will definitely smoke the rest of it, and enjoy it. The perique is even lighter than Anniversary Kake.

I wish I could find a a tobacco with the VA in old Gowrie, but without the perique. Is Rattray "Marlin Flake" pretty much the same as Old Gowrie, but a pressed flake? That's how some describe it.

I think what I really miss is Dunhill Light Flake. I had one tin of that, and never got over my broken heart when I found out it was to be no more...

5. Ol Brokedik

Ol Brokedik Active Member

I have a couple of pounds of Old Gowrie and Red Rapparee. My tastes have pushed me toward orientals,balkans and english. I smoked 100g of Old Gowrie and enjoyed most of the tin. I did have some bitter tasting smokes. I'm sure those few poor smokes were my fault. Some of those smokes were outstanding. Old Gowrie, sometimes put me in a very relaxed state.
    What I think I know is that Rattrays has a splended product made from very choice leafs. I think my problems come from me not knowing how to smoke a virginia. There were times when I could taste the perique. Other times I couldn't. For me OG was unpredictable. But it's not just OG for me, it's all virginias. If you're an experienced virginia smoker you should learn to love this stuff. If you're still learning how to smoke virginias it could be that you just lack the experience.
    Be well.

6. Snake

Snake permanent ankle biter

I may be off here, but I believe you are talking about HOTW.
    I'm not a perique fan either, and I do not detect it in ^
    FWIW

dp

7. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

I'm gonna take a swing here. Here's a little guess. Sitting at home, quietly sipping your Gowrie, you are getting a lot of the sweet virginia sort of tastes, and working the pipe carefully, as it were. On the way home from the pub, outdoors, headful of Guiness, a guy (this guy anyway) is more likely to be sucking harder, burning hotter and just generally treating the bowl completely differently, and finding a different flavor because of it.

Just a possibility among many. :cheers:

8. Brian

Brian Member

Third bowl today, turned out to be back to tasting the VA. I can taste a little perique too. It's there. I agree with you Sasquatch. I think I was rushing it, and I know I was smoking faster because of walking and the tobac was still a little too moist coming out of a fresh tin.

Is HOTW real strong with the nicotine? It seems like that from the reviews.

9. Raucher Mann

Raucher Mann Member

I like the Rattray's blends, they are a great value and use some old recipes.

Old Gowrie, RRR, HOTW, MF are all in my rotation.

HOTW does seem to have a little bit of a kick of vitamin N as does RRR.

I have a copy of an old Rattray's Blending booklet. It's in PDF and if I can figure out how to do an attachment I will post it.

10. GlassSculptor

GlassSculptor Active Member

I find HOTW quite a bit stronger than OG as far as nicotine goes. HOTW gives me bags under my eyes..... :startle:

11. justMike

justMike Member

is this the link..??

http://www.fumeursdepipe.net/telecha/rattraysbooklet.pdf

its a fasinating read...

12. Raucher Mann

Raucher Mann Member

13. nobler son

nobler son Member

I wonder if the recipes/descriptions are still current? Because I could swear there is Perique in Old Gowrie, and the booklet says it is pure Virginia.

14. Raucher Mann

Raucher Mann Member

Yeah, I thought that too. On the Kohlhase & Kopp website this is their description:
    "RATTRAY'S - BRITISH LINE
    Old Gowrie
    Fine, dark Virginia, Kentucky and a touch Perique intervene in the press up to 3 months, then cut and ground by hand. "

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.