Old Joe?

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Old Ted, Dec 17, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

I mentioned in another thread about receiving some 3 Friars and Night Train today, and these two are probably my favourite blends from your side of the pond, though for me, both could perhaps do with a bit more strength.....but I'm 'nit picking' really!. I'm curious now - as to how OJK with similar constituents stands up alongside these two?...am I likely to go for that one too? or am I missing something else - thats even better than these three?.
    OT

2. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

I'd take Burley Flake #3 over the 3 you mentioned, but yes, OJK is considerably stronger than 3 Friars and Night Train.

3. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

Personally, I love Old Joe Krantz! Now, I think it has the perique content similar to that of Night Train - not extreme, but it's pretty spicy, but of course the burley content is much more pronounced, with virtually no Virginia sweetness to be found.

If Night Train is a cup of drip coffee, Old Joe Krantz is a cup of plain, no frills espresso

4. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

mmm.....I have had a tin of Burley flake #3 - and it was good, but the others I mentioned are to me more VA prominent, which I like.
    OT

5. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

As Nesta said, you won't find much in the way of virginia prominence in OJK. Heavy burley flavor with a boatload of perique.

6. Rewster66

Rewster66 Active Member

What he said. ^^^^

7. OldSouled65

OldSouled65 Active Member

Maybe Haunted Bookshop would be more your thing that Old Joe Krantz. It's OJK's little brother, more va sweetness to me.

8. fogpipe

fogpipe Member

Never had Night Train but OJK is considerably stronger than 3 Friars to my sensibility. I have sometimes had to set down the pipe for a break smoking OJK and never had that happen with 3 Friars. To my taste OJK is better then BF3 and the perique in OJK is less obtrusive. BF3 seems flat and unidimensional to me and way too much perique. While OJK cant be accused of being complex or subtle, its the soul of civility compared to BF3.

Old Ted likes this.
  9. BradNTX

BradNTX Well-Known Member

Ted, have you ever tried GL Pease Filmore? This is pretty full flavored VaPer, with a big sweet and spice bang. I like it a lot in small doses, but if you are a dog for full flavor, this is really good.

How about Hearth & Home Anni Kake? A little more sweet, and a little less spice, but both are there. It has a full flavor, but with very smooth, soft edges. Figgy, chocolate and spice all in one.

Old Ted likes this.
  10. whitebriar

whitebriar Member

i really don't care for 3 Friars--but that's just me--too much virginia for me--never have smoked Night Train--but putting OJK up against 3 Friars is like putting a riding mower up against a dragster--OJK has more Nicotine and a much fuller flavor --if you like full flavored Burley and can tolerate Perique, you'll like OJK--

my personal thoughts are that OJK is likely my favorite tobacco --having said that, it isn't my go to, all day smoke--a feller CAN overdose on OJK, so Morley's Best and Big n Burley are my go to blends due to the robustness of OJK--'Old Joe' has become my special reward at the end of the day--sit down, relax, load and fire 'Old Joe' and suddenly the world becomes a better place--

HaroldT and Old Ted like this.
  11. buistd

buistd Sales Account

Send me your address Old Ted and I'll send you some to try.

Old Ted likes this.
  12. smokey422

smokey422 Member

Old Joe Krantz is heavy on the burley, Perique (30% according to Bob Runowski, its' original blender), and nicotine. I like it but I have a high nicotine tolerance. As stated by another poster, if you're not into heavy Perique blends try Haunted Bookshop. It has some but not as much as OJK.

13. fogpipe

fogpipe Member

I was suprised to read the 30% figure so i checked the reviews at tr and its actually 25% perique. Im still suprised, because i dont like perique blends, i find most of them way too spicy. I dont know what it is about OJK but its perfectly tolerable to me.

14. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

Thanks for that kind offer!....but a sample is now on the way - with an order:th1:
    OT

15. buistd

buistd Sales Account

Hope you enjoy it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.