Old Man Winter

Discussion in 'The Smoking Lounge' started by Mickeyfin, Nov 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mickeyfin

Mickeyfin Member

As old man winter approaches the hearty woodsie Burley's and Latakias, cavandish, perique aromas appear in abundance along with a heavier Note...hence my debacle:groucho: My smoking quarters is my/our(sometimes) office abutting the living room. Now that the temps are dropping my "window fan" isn't going to be very practical...so my dear watson's what are my options...air purefier?....down coat good to 20 below:roflmao:

2. Ol Brokedik

Ol Brokedik Active Member

You look at your significant other and say, "If you really loved me........."

3. Mickeyfin

Mickeyfin Member

That made my day.....:goodjob: :roflmao: :roflmao:

4. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

Get a wood stove and you can stil use the fan ... or tell her you'll cut her off from the action

5. Ol Brokedik

action?

6. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

Should I have said friction

7. Snake

Snake permanent ankle biter

I knew what you meant, ruff.
    The down coat would also be
    a wise investment. :cold:

dp

8. BradNTX

BradNTX Well-Known Member

We are in the midst of building a house and this scenario is exactly why I had a PANASONIC 80CFM WHISPER FAN installed in the home office/study. I can't wait to test it out... maybe January? :groucho:

9. Ol Brokedik

Oh, now I remember!

10. Ol Brokedik

Same thing here! My exaust fan vents outside through a 6" duct. It works like magic. In fact, when you want to appreciate the room note you'll have to leave the fan off. Smart move.

11. BradNTX

BradNTX Well-Known Member

Room note? Fan OFF? Never. :huh: :innocent:

Shhhhhh, I wouldn't do that unless I was home alone. :shifty:

12. IrishRover

IrishRover Active Member

Me too.. the only time I smoke in the living room is if the Mrs. isn't here, and with all the windows open.
    My typical smoking room is my head stuck up the fireplace chimney or the garage.

I used to love winter, until the pipe...
    Cheers!

13. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

Hi All,

Bur remember Lads - pipesmoking is now a "Healthy outdoor activity" thanks to what is laughingly known as H.M. Government in the U.K. Buy the jacket, buy some strong robust flake tobacco and head off into the Great Outdoors to embrace winter.

Oh yes - buy a pipelid - when young when we all wore nylon shirts you could tell a pipesmoker by the lace front effect of his shirt front when hot ash had fallen - I advise from experience. I was out on the decking in a gale last week smoking away merrily minus a pipe lid. Later that evening Rhona asked me how I managed to burn small holes in the back of my shirt collar...you have been warned!

Best to all

Gerry

14. telltime

telltime Active Member

Gotta remember, Ruff, that to some of our wives, that's not exactly a threat, but more of an incentive!

15. JDev84

JDev84 Member

may i suggest something with latakia and a light whiskey or rum topping? alot of full navy flakes are brilliant winter smokes. one thing you might do is outfit your garage with a cheapo (<$100) space heater. works wonders!

16. Burner

Burner Member

The electric heater in my garage has been getting a bit of use lately.

17. Mickeyfin

Mickeyfin Member

Well it seems you have met my wife and sorry to say I don't have a garage...wish I did. The office is getting colder and I have one really good tip for the outdoors..a cover for the pipe..thankyou Gerry:bow: now I need to look for fans/air purefiers...what works out there that's not:money: ...took all your suggestions with my hankering for Latakia and just put through an order for presbyterian and on the town.....am so excited..but fear for my life:sword: without a fan...suggestions needed.....

18. Ol Brokedik

Ask your wife if she'll go for a ceiling vent fan. I have one and it works. It's vented to the outside, not the attic. The trick is not to go too small. I'm not talking about the fart fan in a bathroom. There are different sizes of fans(cfm)cubic feet/minute and levels of noise. If you have a favorite spot in your office you'ld have the fan cut in the ceiling directly above that spot.
    This won't be cheap. Probably around $500. Save some $ and do it right. Consider your age. If you plan to smoke a pipe for the next 25 years it's well worth the expense.
    Remember,if you do it, do it right. And, you're worth it!
    Be well.
    Ol Brokedik.

19. Woodbeck3

Woodbeck3 Member

do what I did, make sure your coat has a hood....

20. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

Hi All,

A sheepskin car coat is windproof and burn proof for that matter - and you can pick them up really cheaply in a Charity Shop while you save up for the extraction system - wouldn't be without mine in winter!

Best to all,

Gerry

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.