1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Old pipes for Christmas (photo heavy)

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by davidmackv, Feb 1, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. davidmackv

davidmackv Active Member

My grandmother came to my house for Christmas, she is 80 years old. She brought me some nice gifts. Some people probably wouldn't consider them nice, but I do. She brought me three pipes and a pipe holder that belonged to my Great-Grandfather, he passed in 1991. He was an old codger smoker, so be prepared to see some rough looking codger pipes with some caking. One of his pipes I have, I received from her last year was from the 1920s. I haven't tried dating these pipes yet, but if you see one you recognize, I will take the help.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This pipe has a white W on the stem and has Whitehall Saratoga Briar Italy on the stem.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This one has Mello Root Imported Briar on the bottom. This pipe is in very rough condition.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This one is a Medico Imported Briar with a white F on the bit. You can also see he wore a hole in the bit.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is the pipe my son got me for Christmas. It is not old of course. It came from Russia. It smokes great.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. dBear

dBear Active Member

Nice. Your grandma "gets" it and your son has good taste. Congrats!

3. craig

craig Active Member

awesome pipes, a nice little bit of history you have there :)

4. SmokeyJoe

SmokeyJoe Active Member

Great gifts, old and new! The old ones will clean up just fine.
    I understand that the Russian/Ukranian pipes are made from pear wood. Glad to hear it smokes well.

5. 12GA

12GA Member

Awesome gifts and awesome Grandma.

6. Splat

Splat Member

That's awsomeness, Davidmackv! :thu2:

7. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

It's always great to hear when some one gets their families pipes !! That second pipe is really awesome , I love the shape ! Please post a pic of it after you clean it up :th1:

8. craig

craig Active Member

thats what i hope to do with my pipes john, either that or pass on to someone close

ruffinogold likes this.
  9. davidmackv

davidmackv Active Member

I hadn't thought about cleaning them up. I figured I would just leave them the way he did.

12GA likes this.
  10. Stewart

Stewart Member

You've got to clean them up. And you've got your work cut out for you doing so. Nice gifts, one and all.

11. Labman

Labman Member

Very cool! I'm in the "you gotta clean them up" camp...think about it, you can smoke the same pipe your Great-Grampa used to smoke back in the day. It would be a great way to connect with the man and honour his memory.

12. Basil Meadows

Basil Meadows Active Member

Those are GREAT gifts! There are plenty of posts on how to restore them, if you want to try it yourself. Or if you can't find what your looking for, just ask! Would love to see those brought back to life, as I'm sure you would too.

13. Labman

Labman Member

Basil Meadows likes this.
  14. 421eme

421eme Member

That's super cool dude - such a great connection to your Great-Grandfather.

Alas I never had the chance to meet my Great-Grandparents, as I wasn't even born when they passed. My Grandfather's never smoked a pipe, just my Dad.

Would have been cool if they had and I could have gotten ahold of them. Still looking for my Dad's pipes - hopefully they'll rear their heads one of these days.

All the best to your Grandma - she sounds awesome!

All the best, Carl

15. colorduke

colorduke Active Member

Neat,thanks for sharing the pics.

16. bosun

bosun Active Member

Way I look at is you have a piece of family history. The only thing I have from my Great Grandfather is genetic material (g). Maybe I would pick one pipe that I think I would enjoy smoking and restore that for use. The others (and the humidor) I would leave as is. Put in a piece of paper with "owned by (Great Grandfather Name), born (date), died (date), recieved from (name), any interesting bio details from family history". Maybe your descendants would find that interesting. I know I like things that are like that..old with some documented history. Like buying a used pipe from the early twenties..sit there and smoke it, take it out of my mouth, look at it, and think of the cars/wars/architecture/women (is that considered PC?)/what the first owner could have done for a living, etc..

dBear likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.