1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Old Pipes Found

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by SmokeyJoe, Feb 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SmokeyJoe

SmokeyJoe Active Member

Just found my 2 favorite pipes that have been missing in action for 30 years! I started smoking pipes again last summer after a 30 year layoff when I found 3 pipes and some old dried out 'baccy in a box in the garage, but I couldn't find my 2 favorites. I gave up looking months ago, and lo and behold, when I pulled out an old box on the back shelf of my home office yesterday, look what I found.......My link

The amazing thing is that there is almost no oxidation of the stems, after 30 freekin years. If anyone can help me ID these I'd be grateful. The freehand is stamped DEV with DANMARK below. The other is a large Bulldog(?), with what appears to be a BenWade crown on the stem. Stamped on shank is PROMINENCE, circled A, circled 3, HAND MADE IN DENMARK

I hope I did the image link properly, first time for everything.
    Gonna load the freehand up NOW....

Rodfather and Kiowapipe like this.
  2. Major

Major Member

That freehand is damn fine looking pipe. I want it. So... gimme gimme gimme. Wish I knew who made that. As for the bulldog looking briar yes... my first reaction was "Ben Wade". But I'm no expert on Ben's works.

3. Jay

Jay Active Member

nice find in your "time capsule"

happy smoking

4. SmokeyJoe

SmokeyJoe Active Member

I've just finished a bowl of 3 Oaks Syrian in the freehand. It was really difficult to puff while grinning like a madman.
    I see you're just down the 91 frwy from me, any good shops on the other side of the canyon?

5. Snake

Snake permanent ankle biter

SJ,

The freehand looks somewhat like
    a Nording, but several Denmark
    carvers tend to copy from time to
    time.

Great find!

dp

6. ECross

ECross Member

I can't help you identify them, but I must say they are very nice. I'm happy you found them, do they smoke as good as they look?

7. Strongirish

Strongirish Member

Makes you wonder what elase you have hidden away! Like finding hidden treasure!

8. SmokeyJoe

SmokeyJoe Active Member

I can only hope. That box has gone through 3 homes and 2 storage units, and the only other item that didn't go in the trash yesterday was a pipecleaner sleeve from Lynch's Town Shoppe, a local tobacconist that's been gone for 15 years, but must have been where I had these two polished up before I boxed 'em, 'cause I didn't do a thing to them for the pics.

9. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

Hi All,

Having been away from Northumberland for only a few months I knew how pleased I felt to meet up again with the set of pipes I keep down here, so I can imagine how you felt on finding those beauties after all those years. May you enjoy them in good health for many years.

Can't help identify them though - but on this forum I'm sure we'll have someone who can!

Happy smoking

Gerry

10. Bri2k

Bri2k Active Member

Congrats on that find, SmokeyJoe! I can't help you ID'ing them either, but they look like they should serve you well for many years.

ruffinogold likes this.
  11. SmokeyJoe

SmokeyJoe Active Member

I'm still grinning like a child at Christmas, and had to share with somebody. I have no other pipe smoker friends, they're all cigar guys, and the wife was like "mm hmm, that's nice honey".
    From all the searching I did yesterday, the bulldog is a Ben Wade, I found several examples on-line with the same name "Prominence", same general shape, and same bit style. It's puzzling that it's stamped with everything but "Ben Wade". I know that the company was sold, so perhaps that accounts for it.

12. SmokeyJoe

SmokeyJoe Active Member

The Freehand smoked like a dream with 3 Oaks Syrian, tonight is poker night and it's a non-smoker, so I'll have to wait till tues to fire-up the Bulldog...

13. t-bear

t-bear Well-Known Member

Personally??? I'd have to skip the card game....just sayin'. That Ben Wade looks a bit more freehand than "bulldog". No crown or rings and the shank is square rather than diamond. I would classify it a "brandy". Still a beautiful pipe! The other freehand is stunning! I love the curve and flow of the bowl on that one. Grain on both is stunning! Put me in your will... LOL

I think the reason they aged so well is due to the fact that they were wrapped and boxed away from the elements, especially light, which is the bane of everything vulcanite. Well found treasure.

14. SmokeyJoe

SmokeyJoe Active Member

OK, A "Brandy" it is....never heard of that shape before. And never really knew what defined a bulldog either. It seems that I learn something new every time I visit. Thanks for the info.

15. Jay

Jay Active Member

The short answer, no. The best I've seen anywhere is Tobacco Barn in El Toro. Bit of a drive though.

J

16. Jeebs

Jeebs Active Member

I ran across this looking for something else.... but I can't get in to see...

17. Johnny Dingo

Johnny Dingo Writer of wrongs

Me neither. I kinda wanted to see that bulldog.

18. Jeebs

Jeebs Active Member

It must be only for VIP members..................

19. SmokeyJoe

SmokeyJoe Active Member

Guys, the thread's a year old, but I do have the pics on Photobucket:
    [​IMG]

Dutchking22, dwaugh, Mington and 2 others like this.
  20. Jeebs

Jeebs Active Member

I like um... Nice...Thanks for sharing.

SmokeyJoe likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.