1. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Old timers tobacco

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by gunnerz, Aug 14, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gunnerz

gunnerz Member

I love hearing and reading advice from old timers. It seems like most of the advice concerning pipes is to not spend much money on them replace them once you've beat them to death. However, I'm wondering about old timer tobacco preferences. Any brands that your dad's or grandpa's were particularly loyal to that can still be purchased?

2. whitebriar

whitebriar Member

PA, Granger, Carter Hall and SWR were the big tobaccos for the "geezers"when i was a kid--guess i'm a "geezer now--i have smoked and still do smoke them all-they can still be purchased today--

3. Hofnar

Hofnar Active Member

Here in Sweden the classic pipe tobacco is Greve Gilbert Hamiltons Blandning (Count Gilbert Hamiltons Mixture). It´s been around since 1924 and is still, I believe, the most sold pipe tobacco. Many old timers smoked (smoke) nothing else. It´s a nice blend with no nonsese added. The count really existed. He was colonel of a swedish regiment and, of course, a pipe smoker. He sold his recipe to the ten swedish tobacco monopoly and made himself a small fortune. I smoke it now and then and it´s a fine tobacco.

DakOOk and David Emond like this.
  4. Mount Mandolin

Mount Mandolin Active Member

My old timer pipe smoking mentor smoked Sir Walter Raleigh Aromatic all day like it was his job. And he is retired, so it is part of his job these days. Great guy, I miss living up the mountain from him. The smell of that tobacco still reminds me of sitting in his shop around the woodstove with the snow falling outside, listening to him tell stories about flying planes in the war.

A tobacco that is currently produced that I think has an old timey thing going on is Classic Burley Kake by Hearth & Home. It's a burley in cake form, obviously, and it has this great casing on it that is like a light brown sugar kind of thing. Smells great too.

5. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

Probably well known by now, but the long-time favourites over here were (and are!) St.Bruno, Condor, Gold Block, Erinmore, Whiskey ( tobacco, not drink! ) Three Nuns and one or two more - some have disappeared or are not readilly available now. Probably the biggest influence on my taking up the pipe in later years was the ever-present aroma of Grandpa's Erinmore Flake as this schoolboy listened to his tales, like many blends - it's not quite the same as in olden days, but those mentioned are still going ( reasonably! ) strong.
    OT

mecompco, dwaugh and David Emond like this.
  6. Joe Ahearn

Joe Ahearn Active Member

The oldest pipe smoker I have known, my great-grandfather, smoked Prince Albert.

mecompco, Jeebs and colorduke like this.
  7. JRobert

JRobert Serious Cat Forum Guide

http://www.4noggins.com/drug-store-blends.aspx

All of these "drug store blends" have been around a long time. Dad and Grandpa would have been able to enjoy them. If you don't want to mail order, you might still be able to find most of them at a local drug store or grocery store, depending on where you live.

mecompco likes this.
  8. colorduke

colorduke Active Member

Pa,SWR,Granger,Velvet,CH, KY Club are all old timer blends and some of my favorites as well.

mecompco likes this.
  9. MakDragon

MakDragon Illegitimi non carborundum

My Uncle only smoked CB white. My wife's grandfather smoked Granger and London Dock.

mecompco likes this.
  10. Coda

Coda Well-Known Member

My great-grandfather smoked nothing but Half and Half...he smoked a pipe exclusively. My grandfather smoked Middleston's Cherry Blend, Half and Half, and Granger...he doesnt smoke a pipe anymore, though...

colorduke likes this.
  11. furious

furious Junque collector

My Grandfather loved Dunhill tobaccos but couldn't get them year round, especially during the depression, so he usually smoked Edgeworth and saved the Dunhill products for the weekend.

12. Capt

Capt Active Member

My father smoked Union Leader mixed with Flying Dutchman. Before he died in 2007, we did share a few pipes of it together. However, he said the flying Dutchman of today is horribly different than it was when he smoked a pipe regularly.

My Godfather's Dad smoked Cater Hall exclusively.

mecompco likes this.
  13. Malcontent

Malcontent Active Member

+1. You can also find blends that try to recreate old ones that aren't available any more. Distinguished Gentleman comes to mind.

14. Pschoppy48

Pschoppy48 Member

I remember PA, Half-n-Half, CBW and some older BR blends.

15. RTOdhner

RTOdhner Well-Known Member

+1. Also, add Middleton Cherry Blend, Middleton Kentucky Club, Middleton Walnut, and Lane Half and Half to that list. Of course, you could always go "Up-Scale Codger" and add MacB blends like Burley London Blend, Golden Extra, or Scottish Mixture as well - they've been big sellers since they were first introduced in the 1950's and 1960's.

whitebriar likes this.
  16. Rodfather

Rodfather Active Member

My Dad and Granddad smoked Edgeworth Flake and nothing else.

RTOdhner and furious like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.